Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 16,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos6502 View Post
About the responses I expected. Lots of cries of "racist", but no one addressed my point about 100% Indian teams and Indian managers only hiring other Indians. This is not racist? Anyone working in IT at a large corp has experienced this. Once an Indian becomes manager, that team will shortly become entirely Indian.

I am not white and thus not beat down with "white guilt", so being called racist doesn't bother me at all. Again, can someone explain to me why entire teams of Indians and Indians only hiring other Indians is not racist? I have not seen this allowed with other groups in corporate America, not Koreans (which is what I am), whites, blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, etc. Only Indians do this and everyone looks the other way.

And lawl at all these folks that think there's a dime's worth of difference between Democrats and Republicans when it comes to selling out this country's citizens.
Again comes down to MONEY. If the Indian Manager thinks a skilled person can be hired for less/cheap and the person will answer calls and do support work at night/weekend, it doesn't matter the race/color/ethnicity of person. Unfortunately, indians fit that description and get hired more often by indian managers.
Of course favoritism will always be there with all the ppl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
I am not white and thus not beat down with "white guilt", so being called racist doesn't bother me at all. Again, can someone explain to me why entire teams of Indians and Indians only hiring other Indians is not racist? I have not seen this allowed with other groups in corporate America, not Koreans (which is what I am), whites, blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, etc. Only Indians do this and everyone looks the other way.
Same reason you go to many places around the country and you see teams of only white.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Same reason you go to many places around the country and you see teams of only white.
Not the same, because most likely those folks are simply locals. There are still some cities/towns 90+% inhabited by Americans who were originally born in the US.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 AM

38 posts, read 49,786 times
Quote:
About the responses I expected. Lots of cries of "racist", but no one addressed my point about 100% Indian teams and Indian managers only hiring other Indians. This is not racist? Anyone working in IT at a large corp has experienced this. Once an Indian becomes manager, that team will shortly become entirely Indian.

And lawl at all these folks that think there's a dime's worth of difference between Democrats and Republicans when it comes to selling out this country's citizens.

Take a good look around your office and tell me now how many people are willing to work beyond 9 -5, work on weekends if needed, how many will stick with the company once oil prices start going north? Indian IT workers will do it all with out saying a word. Do you think they enjoy it?

They do it because they are stuck with H1B and they can't just change jobs a will till they get green card as most companies don't sponsor HB1 these days. Do you know what percentage of companies hire Full time employess on H1B in Houston? ( Its less that 10% if you exclude fresh college grads). Unfortunately, they know this and they take full advantage of H1b employees. In other words, if a person on H1B has balls to say no to his manager then he should be very worried about next round of layoffs/ performance reviews/ contact renewal (this has nothing to do with talent). I don't know when this started but, right now H1B employees waiting for green card are stuck in this cycle.

This applies to anyone on H1B . Unfortunately India/China are the only two countries with a really really long wait time to get a Green Card.

Last edited by kaartman; 07-27-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 08:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
^^ This is it. More do do with outsourcing than racism. At least in my experience.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I can't believe they've found a way to exploit professional work. You'd think learning a skill in any branch of engineering is like commanding a special skill and taking control of your work. It's like a specialty they can't be taken advantage of.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Schlumberger has declared a bottom to the market and is now going to start clawing back their precious price reductions. I suspect the other big service companies are not going to be far behind them. The current prices are below cost, and are not sustainable.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
I am SLB. Not gonna work, but worth trying. There is HUGE pressure from customers to keep prices low or even reduce more. I deal with Exxon & Chevron. As far as customer concern goes is not bottom yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Schlumberger has declared a bottom to the market and is now going to start clawing back their precious price reductions. I suspect the other big service companies are not going to be far behind them. The current prices are below cost, and are not sustainable.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am SLB. Not gonna work, but worth trying. There is HUGE pressure from customers to keep prices low or even reduce more. I deal with Exxon & Chevron. As far as customer concern goes is not bottom yet.
Well, the discounts and additional work without compensation that Schlumberger has demanded from its vendors is going to come to a screeching halt as well. I know several companies that are extremely tired of dealing with the bull excrement that has come from Schlumberger's supply chain the last 2 years. When the market picks back up and suppliers have a little more leverage, Schlumberger is going to see some pretty rapid price increases from their vendors.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Welcome to the party and gotta spread the love :-) After all we laid off 44,000 folks and that's not a small number. Never in SLB history so many folks were let go

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Well, the discounts and additional work without compensation that Schlumberger has demanded from its vendors is going to come to a screeching halt as well. I know several companies that are extremely tired of dealing with the bull excrement that has come from Schlumberger's supply chain the last 2 years. When the market picks back up and suppliers have a little more leverage, Schlumberger is going to see some pretty rapid price increases from their vendors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston