Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 02:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I am perfectly fine and my position is well know in Schlumberger about my fellow indians. I am actually the one who shifted a lot of business from India to Malaysia and other places in Europe and South America. It was all due to quality after all.I am too high up and at the end of the day corporate America is not a democracy, thanks God, else the Democrats will ruin that as well. I even outsourced some of my departments work to Prague and Argentina. And I can keep my job just fine as culturally this company is more French than anything else. After all I've been with them for almost 30 years now so something must be working don't you think?

And of course you had to chime in since you're the Houston forum spokesperson. Let me guess, Democrat as well?
Yeah im a democrat and a native born american. Want to **** on people for their beliefs?

I have an extremely hard time believing your posts about your position. If any manager i work with called a building something as racist as the "curry building" because of indian folks theyd have their ass in a meeting about what is and isnt appropriate. Apparently schlumberger has active harassment and possible discrimination issues stemming from the management level. While at the same time management actively pushing work offshore. I bet both white and non white workers would like to hear about how a manager speaks about them and their work

Anyone else here work at schlumberger or been laid off recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
Nice try. That's France for you mate. Right in your face :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Yeah im a democrat and a native born american. Want to **** on people for their beliefs?

I have an extremely hard time believing your posts about your position. If any manager i work with called a building something as racist as the "curry building" because of indian folks theyd have their ass in a meeting about what is and isnt appropriate. Apparently schlumberger has active harassment and possible discrimination issues stemming from the management level. While at the same time management actively pushing work offshore. I bet both white and non white workers would like to hear about how a manager speaks about them and their work

Last edited by ethanw; 07-27-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,241,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Welcome to the party and gotta spread the love :-) After all we laid off 44,000 folks and that's not a small number. Never in SLB history so many folks were let go
I think the 44,000 SLB has laid off is a much smaller percentage of its employees compared to the layoff of many of the vendors that service SLB.

We have laid off approximately 50% of our workforce, and we service more than just the oil industry.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,467,886 times
Quote:
If any manager i work with called a building something as racist as the "curry building" because of indian folks theyd have their ass in a meeting about what is and isnt appropriate.
What's wrong with a curry building? If it smells curry, then it's appropriate. I don't see much racial in this. No need for this meeting, better discuss some real business.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM

226 posts, read 282,987 times
So curry buildings aren't shrines dedicated to worshipping the basketball player Stephen Curry?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,198,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
So curry buildings aren't shrines dedicated to worshipping the basketball player Stephen Curry?
I thought they were used to curry favor from either Curry or Curie. (that's a wide demographic)

Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
Quote:

I've never ever heard the SanFelipe building referred to as the "curry building" and I know lots of SLB folks. Most of the ones I know have kept their jobs, but a few were let go or moved to another company. SLB has one of the most diverse work environments and it is very PC. Don't know where this attitude is coming from, but it is not SLB related...just an individual's opinion. That particular office is a ghost town right now, as they are transferring down to the sugar land office.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
You don't know anything about 5599 and you have no idea how many floors we actually occupy there or what folks made it or not. And who said I speak for SLB? I have the right to express my own opinion or describe what others here are feeling about various topics. Sure is diverse, great diversity as a matter of fact. Ghost town? You way off. Sugar Land campus is at 120% capacity and they won't start building the new one for a while. So try again after you and your buddy testmo get room and talk about it.

Back to the original topic now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I've never ever heard the SanFelipe building referred to as the "curry building" and I know lots of SLB folks. Most of the ones I know have kept their jobs, but a few were let go or moved to another company. SLB has one of the most diverse work environments and it is very PC. Don't know where this attitude is coming from, but it is not SLB related...just an individual's opinion. That particular office is a ghost town right now, as they are transferring down to the sugar land office.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
The parking garage used to take forever to find a spot. Now it's half empty.

If you can't see that your attitude affects public perception of SLB, that's on you.

My perception of that particular office for SLB is that it's way down in numbers, and I have been there recently. Maybe much of the staff was on vacation or out of the office, but I saw lots of empty areas. I could be wrong. I'm not wrong that most of the staff at SLB is very nice and inclusive of all races and ethnicities.

Last edited by Meyerland; 07-27-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,254 times
My company is simply pushing us to send work to India and laying off workers in the US, both citizens, permanent residents and h1b workers. I've managed some of the work done in India; quality is next to rubbish but upper management doesn't care, as long as the margin is good. We're losing clients one after another.

Sad but true story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston