Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,750 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, so I've recently moved into a condo and discovered that my upstairs (or downstairs?) neighbor's central A/C is making some weird noises that's making my entire unit vibrate every time it's on. It's kind of a rhythmic "vroom vroom vroom" low bass sound and I can feel the vibrations through the floor of almost every room in my condo. I'm on the middle floor, and my other neighbor's A/C does not make this kind of vibrating noise. The sound and vibrations are kind of driving me nuts, and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not.

If anyone has any insight on what's causing this noise, it would be much appreciated! I'm trying to figure out if I'm justified in asking my neighbor to do some kind of a/c maintenance or if I should just invest in a good pair of noise cancelling earphones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:29 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Maintenance department?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin_54 View Post
Hi guys, so I've recently moved into a condo and discovered that my upstairs (or downstairs?) neighbor's central A/C is making some weird noises that's making my entire unit vibrate every time it's on. It's kind of a rhythmic "vroom vroom vroom" low bass sound and I can feel the vibrations through the floor of almost every room in my condo. I'm on the middle floor, and my other neighbor's A/C does not make this kind of vibrating noise. The sound and vibrations are kind of driving me nuts, and I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not.

If anyone has any insight on what's causing this noise, it would be much appreciated! I'm trying to figure out if I'm justified in asking my neighbor to do some kind of a/c maintenance or if I should just invest in a good pair of noise cancelling earphones.
'Not sure how condos work, but I would think you could call the maintenance department and report it to them, no need to involve your neighbor... yet. It sounds like some sort of effect from the oscillation of a motor. Does it start, and stop throughout the day? Maybe the AC, but if just once a day, maybe a washer, or dryer? In any case, I'm guessing you have to pay maintenance fees, I'd start with those people.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,750 times
Thanks for the advice. I talked to HOA about this problem but they said that there was nothing they could do about it since owners are responsible for their A/C units. I'm pretty sure it's the A/C system because the noise is only present when the A/C unit is on (I can also hear the compressors outside when I have my windows open) and comes and goes throughout the day.

Does anyone have any ideas about dampening the vibrations inside my condo? The noise is unpleasant and after a while my ears feel pretty uncomfortable. Also, the noise and vibrations are unbearable in the bedroom (which is closest to both the indoor and outdoor components of the central a/c), so I've moved my bed and all of my stuff to the smaller study and left the bedroom empty. Would having furniture in the bedroom help dampen the noise? Also, it seems like certain corners of my study and living room vibrate more than other corners. I spend most of my time in one of these loud corners because that's where my desk is and there's really no other way to arrange my furniture without blocking some doors. Any idea on why the noises are like this and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 PM

52 posts, read 74,153 times
The blower motor may need new bearings or need to be replaced. That's the only piece of A/C equipment inside the house that could vibrate.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Knock on neighbor's door. Say "Hi, I think there's a problem with your A/C unit."

If neighbor looks unbalanced and is carrying a large pipe - run as fast as you can.

Otherwise, most neighbors will say "thanks I'll get it checked out".

Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,230 times
hope its not me youre talking about... lol!

i live on a 1st floor unit and my AC is super old, prob the first unit that was installed when these were made in the 70s. anyway, my neighbor upstairs has mentioned how loud it is when the AC starts up & how it scares her cats. besides that, she doesnt really mention it much as its just when the AC starts up i assume.

def ask them about having maintenance done as it might just be an old unit. when i first moved in there were minor issues with the pipes on my end and neighbor and we both got our stuff fixed. maybe that noise can at least be reduced with maintenance. i see no problem with communicating to your neighbor about the issue. seems like people are afraid or shy to talk to their neighbors nowadays.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Do you own or rent that condo? Does guy upstairs own or rent condo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston