Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No the point I was making with slavery, which is a subject you brought up in the first place, is that Texas's brief history with slavery does not automatically place it in the deep south. Not that it's brief history excluded it. Your claim was that since Texas was last to abolish or have slavery abolished that somehow means that Texas had the deepest of southern sympathies which is a totally bogus argument as I have demonstrated.
I never once said that. I merely mentioned it as a significant point in reply to your implication that slavery was some trivial part of Houston's history. I'm not as dumb as you seem to think I am.

If having a history of cotton and sugarcane plantations does not place a region in the Deep South, then what is your ill-advised definition of the "Deep South"? Please share.

Quote:
There is no fact to it. Pompous declarations do not create fact. I grew up here, I know what the identity of the city has been and still is. Like I said earlier Texas (Houston) will acknowledge a southern connection but will be insulted as one poster put it to be called the deep south.
Please stop pretending you speak for all Houstonians and Texans. You certainly don't speak for this one.

There's plenty of facts behind what I'm saying. I think the real issue is that YOU take offense to the Deep South label, for whatever ridiculous reason. You're not alone, though. Many Texans have opted to forget their Confederate and slave history and like to pretend that their entire heritage was shaped by Mexico and Germany.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Especially since the term Deep South hadn't even been coined yet.

The Deep South or Lower South was typically used to refer to those areas of the south which were known for their cotton and/or sugarcane plantations. By that definition alone Houston is a Deep South city. By the end of the Civil War nearly half of the city's population was made up of blacks. Texas was also the LAST state to free its slaves. General Order #3 was announced right down in Galveston from Ashton Villa.
Your implication is clear...

Quote:
I never once said that. I merely mentioned it as a significant point in reply to your implication that slavery was some trivial part of Houston's history. I'm not as dumb as you seem to think I am.

If having a history of cotton and sugarcane plantations does not place a region in the Deep South, then what is your ill-advised definition of the "Deep South"? Please share.

Please stop pretending you speak for all Houstonians and Texans. You certainly don't speak for this one.

There's plenty of facts behind what I'm saying. I think the real issue is that YOU take offense to the Deep South label, for whatever ridiculous reason. You're not alone, though. Many Texans have opted to forget their Confederate and slave history and like to pretend that their entire heritage was shaped by Mexico and Germany.
You were the first to bring up slavery. You posted it was relevant to whether Texas was a deep southern state in post number 80, which I have so generously multi-quoted above. I posted about the brief time Texas was a slave state in reply (after), to your initial post referencing Juneteenth. You are aware that all these post are archived in this thread in the order they were posted aren't you ? lol As far as cotton goes Virginia grew cotton and had legalized slavery as well but is rarely if ever considered the "Deep south"...

Have a good night....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-19-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Wow you guys went way off topic.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Maybe because they are not good at conversation. Complaining is a good way for negative people to connect.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Maybe because they are not good at conversation. Complaining is a good way for negative people to connect.
This is so powerful.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Your implication is clear...

You were the first to bring up slavery. You posted it was relevant to whether Texas was a deep southern state in post number 80, which I have so generously multi-quoted above. I posted about the brief time Texas was a slave state in reply (after), to your initial post referencing Juneteenth. You are aware that all these post are archived in this thread in the order they were posted aren't you ? lol As far as cotton goes Virginia grew cotton and had legalized slavery as well but is rarely if ever considered the "Deep south"...

Have a good night....
Still waiting on that definition of the Deep South, sir. If I'm wrong then prove you're right. You have yet to do that.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Still waiting on that definition of the Deep South, sir. If I'm wrong then prove you're right. You have yet to do that.
You are tenacious I will give you that, you wake up first thing in the morning and start all over again.

To paraphrase justice Potter Stewarts famous quote, "I can't tell you what it is, but I'd know it if I lived there". There is no "official" definition of the deep south, the definition is in the minds and the hearts of people who write about it or for whatever reason think it is important. I will tell you what my concept of the deep south is. That is a state that is bordered by nothing but other southern states. Example Mississippi is bordered by Lou., Ark., Tenn., and Ala., so IS a deep southern state. Texas bordered by Lou., Ark, Ok., N.M., and Mexico IS NOT a deep southern state. If just had having legal slavery and growing cotton is the definition of the deep south, then all the south is the deep south, and a few states that weren't part of the CSA would be deep southern states as well. I have researched various attempts to define or conceptualize the deep south, and some do include Eastern parts of Texas but also characterize the deep south as a rural region which would of course eliminate Houston and all the cities we have discussed, but the vast majority of references and descriptions to and of the deep south start from Louisiana and work east to South Carolina. So the preponderance of internet references at least supports that Texas is not a "deep southern" state...

Have a nice day.....

Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Deep South -are you defining culturally or geographically or both? Texas is borderline at best. Stop argueing. I think the answer is in the eye of the beholder. Open to individual interpretation.

http://www.deep-south-usa.com

Ahttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Deep+South

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question75861.html

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM

587 posts, read 1,135,180 times
i have a couple of neighbors from New Orleans...they say their quality of life in Houston is so much better than it was in New Orleans before Hurricane Katrina that its not even worth comparing...I dont see very many of the implants looking to move back there because there are just no opportunities there job or business wise.

but what I hate, and I know its just ingrained in their system, these cats will pull out a folding chair, open the garage and sit there for hours on end and watch everyone else...I know thats a big time new orleans culture model, where everyone hung out on their porches till late at night shooting the breeze...kind of makes me sick though

another thing you will notice, everyone from Louisiana, whether its from New Orleans or New Iberia or Lafayette or Lake Charles or Shreveport all think they can cook just because they helped their mom or grandma make the roux for the gumbo when they were kids....

Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
but what I hate, and I know its just ingrained in their system, these cats will pull out a folding chair, open the garage and sit there for hours on end and watch everyone else...I know thats a big time new orleans culture model, where everyone hung out on their porches till late at night shooting the breeze...kind of makes me sick though.
I actually like it when neighbors do this.

First, it acts as a deterrent to thieves cruising the neighborhood.

Second, it allows me easy access if I feel like being neighborly. I can wave and yell howdy or I can go over and hang out.

The only downside I can see is if you don't ever want to be social with your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston