Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I don't mean you are literally saying that , I'm saying it is implicit at least in the attitudes of your friends that they see the two cities as very different places, otherwise why would they be complaining...
I see what you're saying.

I guess when people miss home like my friends do, they are too blind to see the similarities.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK I thought you were saying that most posters were saying the two cities are similar. I agree there are a handful of posters who are focusing on the similarities...

No its a story of outlandish claims vs reality....
"Outlandish claims" you have not been able to disprove, so...

As far as the Houston and New Orleans comparison, try to think about this objectively, Jack. How can you insist that a city which has had nicknames such as the Magnolia City or the Bayou City has no real relation to Louisiana or the Deep South? The term bayou itself is of part French origin and is almost exclusively applied to bodies of water within the coastal Deep South cultural region. What other Texas area has bayous?

I'm not saying Houston isn't a Texas city, but Texas only forms part of its regional identity.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
"Outlandish claims" you have not been able to disprove, so...

As far as the Houston and New Orleans comparison, try to think about this objectively, Jack. How can you insist that a city which has had nicknames such as the Magnolia City or the Bayou City has no real relation to Louisiana or the Deep South? The term bayou itself is of part French origin and is almost exclusively applied to bodies of water within the coastal Deep South cultural region. What other Texas area has bayous?

I'm not saying Houston isn't a Texas city, but Texas only forms part of its regional identity.
Oh boy here we go again...

I think you are confusing geographical coincidence with a common cultural identity. Houston was called Bayou City because there are several waterways called Bayous in this area not in homage to a Louisiana connection. There were bayous and Magnolia trees here long before there was a city. The city of Houston was founded on the banks of a Bayou because it was in proximity to a battle between Anglo Texicans and Mexicans. After the city was founded there was no attempt whatsoever to emphasize any cultural commonality with Louisiana. Even the name of the Bayous are Anglo-American in nature. The names of the cities are all Anglo and Spanish. Except for Louisiana St Downtown I can't think of a single street name that pays any kind of homage to a French or Louisiana connection. Lastly like I posted earlier Houston is a city that has gone out of its way NOT to be like New Orleans, the Houston ethos is diametrically opposite of the Big Easy.

I'm not flaming here this is just the way I see it...

P.S. Why didn't you reply to Texas7 (post 142) about his drive time to N.O. ?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What other Texas area has bayous?
Bayous can be found in river deltas all the way down to the Nueces, near Corpus Christi.
Rincon Bayou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The westernmost bayou in the US is in the north part of Central TX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecan_B...olorado_River))

Old 02-21-2015, 05:20 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
Thanks, that link was interesting: It said that Pecan Bayou "may be the westernmost bayou in the United States". Ever since a relative from California asked when I was a kid "what is a bayou", I've wondered what the correct response would be.

I've always thought of a "bayou" as a slow-moving, sluggish stream. But ... there are plenty of those around the globe, but they're not referred to as bayous.

Another contentious topic is how to pronounce the name. Is is "by-yo" (long o) or "by-you" (long u)?

Old 02-21-2015, 05:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
It also appears that some streams called creeks are actually bayous such as Clear Creek, interesting video about the natural beauty of this area and about the mismanagement of our Bayous,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=oWbQm5qWXco

Also does anybody remember the term Craw-dad ?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

I still say "crawdad" :-)

Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 PM

BTW, the video was great. I was fortunate to have taken a boat trip up Clear Creek in the 1960s and my impression was almost as if I had traveled up the Amazon. It really impressed me, despite being a kid who played along the banks of Buffalo Bayou in Camp Hudson.

The only thing that disappointed me in the video was, while showing Buffalo Bayou downtown near its confluence with White Oak Bayou, the narrator declared that this was Sims Bayou.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yes! And they think their food is the best in America.
Because it is

Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
In 1840, New Orleans achieved what Houston has yet to achieve. New Orleans was the third largest city in America.
source: https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab07.txt

Houston was a small settlement and only 4 years old. Galveston was the largest city in Texas at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston