Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:22 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times

Advertisements

Since I've been here, I've noticed that alotta Louisiana people complain about how boring Houston is, how nasty the food is, etc. All of my Louisiana friends complain about the same stuff.

What do y'all think?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
New Orleans is a really cool town. It's lively with great eats. It had a rich history and plenty to do.

Other than that I couldn't for the life of me see how Louisiana is better than Texas?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:34 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
New Orleans is a really cool town. It's lively with great eats. It had a rich history and plenty to do.

Other than that I couldn't for the life of me see how Louisiana is better than Texas?
I agree.

It seems like Houston is the closet thing to home outside of Louisiana and New Orleans for many people.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Since I've been here, I've noticed that alotta Louisiana people complain about how boring Houston is, how nasty the food is, etc. All of my Louisiana friends complain about the same stuff.

What do y'all think?
A lot of it is just civic competition , much the same reasons that Austin and DFW people dis Houston. Just imagine if Houston wasn't here how much of what's in Houston now would be in Louisiana ?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
I have noticed that majority of the people claiming themselves to be native Houstonians are actually Cajuns or atleast their parents were from the neighboring state.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:

What do y'all think?
I think you need to stop hanging out so much with your Louisiana friends! Find some activities that let you make new friends and expand your social circle.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I have noticed that majority of the people claiming themselves to be native Houstonians are actually Cajuns or atleast their parents were from the neighboring state.
I've never before met a native houstonian claiming to be Cajun. So many people are from somewhere else these days.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:

What do y'all think?
Thanks to their lenient alcohol laws, just about any other city will be boring compared to New Orleans.

I notice this is being posted after Mardi Gras, so perhaps you may have been talking to a few frustrated natives who weren't able to go back for the festivities? What they may really be saying is that they miss home. But for every one saying that they don't like Houston, there's another vowing they'll never go back. Louisianans (New Orleanians) are not a monolithic group. Their opinions differ just as much as any other group.

Both places have great food. Without questions. But the Creole and Cajun foods Houston simply won't be as good as in LA, so complaints in that area are to be expected. The thing is Houston is a cosmopolitan city with many other cuisine options and a level of variety no Louisiana city can match.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 PM

189 posts, read 224,431 times
I've experienced the opposite, Houstonians complain about people from Louisiana.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Most Cajuns in Houston are there for work. They would be back in Louisiana if they had a choice, and many do indeed retire in Louisiana.

New Orleans has a rich culture that Houston doesn't. Houston bulldozes anything older than 10 years old. New Orleans has preservation committees that don't let any building of historical significance, even if about to fall down, be destroyed.

The best restaurants in New Orleans like Commander's Palace have produced the best chefs in the country, including Paul Prudhomme, Emeril Lagasse, etc... Houston's Brennan is an offshoot of the popular Brennan's restaurant in New Orleans. Other chefs like John Besh, Susan Spicer, and others create a culinary foodie paradise not to be seen in Houston.

Houston does have a lot of good ethnic cuisine that New Orleans doesn't. But it doesn't have the haute cuisine that New Orleans does.

This time of year, though, Louisiana is partying to Mardi Gras and Houston is subdued until the Rodeo.

Houston is a decent city, with good sports teams, excellent museums, a great airport, nice homes, and decent schools, but it has never been a particularly exciting city. Bars close at 2 AM in Houston, they never close in New Orleans. You just can't compare the two that well.

About the only thing the same is the climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston