Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 AM

259 posts, read 350,111 times

Advertisements

OP. I frequently hear people refer to hardwood as the "real deal." This isn't true at all. In most aspects, engineered wood is an improved version of hardwood. It's not a cheap-looking knock-off. It looks just as good as hardwood (and is made from real wood) and doesn't suffer from many of the drawbacks that hardwood has.

As i previously mentioned... sanding/refinishing is the the only area where hardwood may have an edge. I say "may" because if the hardwood floor is done with tongue and groove, you are limited by the depth of the wood above the tongue/groove... not the overall thickness of the wood. In this case... you wont get any more refinishes out of it.

Look at both options, and decide for yourself... but don't buy into the belief that hardwood is superior just because it costs a little bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
Ok, we won't refer to it as the "real deal." Let's just call it solid wood. Here's an analogy. Engineered wood is like furniture with a thin wood veneer over particle board. Furniture made with just solid wood can also have a veneer wood surface but over solid wood. You decide which one has better quality materials.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Engineered wood is like furniture with a thin wood veneer over particle board
Quality Engineered wood flooring is made entirely of real wood.. its just laid in alternating plys to give it strength. There are cheaper versions that use fiberboard in the core, but good engineered wood floor products do not.

Last edited by tampac66; 02-23-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Ok, we won't refer to it as the "real deal." Let's just call it solid wood. Here's an analogy. Engineered wood is like furniture with a thin wood veneer over particle board. Furniture made with just solid wood can also have a veneer wood surface but over solid wood. You decide which one has better quality materials.
You obviously have only ever looked at the cheap stuff.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:43 AM

It's only an analogy...

Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 AM

Ok, just imagine a solid piece of wood vs. multiple pieces put together. Which one will you choose? Is that a better analogy for you guys?

You guys say that engineered is just as good as solid wood. Let's put it this way. If cost was not a factor, no pets, no kids, and you are only doing your living room, what would you choose? Solid wood or engineered?

Been to many flooring companies. Your guys' assumptions are humorous.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 02-23-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, just imagine a solid piece of wood vs. multiple pieces put together. Which one will you choose? Is that a better analogy for you guys?
It's not as if they couldn't afford to buy a whole plank of wood so they glued scraps together...

The plys are there for a reason. Engineered wood flooring is designed to be be stronger and resist warping from temperature/humidity changes which has always been a significant problem for traditional hardwood flooring. The downside is that you could potentially have less chances to sand down and refinish than you would with hardwood. This wouldn't become an issue for most people.

If you are putting wood flooring in places where it is likely to get wet, i'd go with Engineered wood. If you ever plan to not have your house climate controlled (when you go on vacation or something) I would go with engineered wood. Beyond those two things, choose whichever you prefer. They are both real wood and they both look great. Think of the two as being the same "quality" but with different features and go from there.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:

You guys say that engineered is just as good as solid wood. Let's put it this way. If cost was not a factor, no pets, no kids, and you are only doing your living room, what would you choose? Solid wood or engineered?

Been to many flooring companies. Your guys' assumptions are humorous.
I would buy the color and pattern and texture I liked best - regardless of whether it was "real" wood vs engineered wood.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I really don't have that option myself due to the amount of water that will always be tracked through my house, so we plan to eventually get the porcelain "wood" planks. If it wasn't for the water issue, I'd choose real wood myself if you plan to stay there long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I would buy the color and pattern and texture I liked best - regardless of whether it was "real" wood vs engineered wood.
Ok, what if there was the same color, pattern, and texture in both types of flooring at the same cost? Would you still choose the engineered over the "real" wood?

And I'm sorry if this offends you, but in the picture you posted, I can tell it's engineered wood. You don't need to justify your selection. If you like it, it's all that matters. Everyone will have their reasons for their own choices. I'm just giving my opinion to help the OP.

Last edited by 3shipguy; 02-23-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Ok, what if there was the same color, pattern, and texture in both types of flooring at the same cost? Would you still choose the engineered over the "real" wood?
Like I said, for me, it's the water issue. I need something that can handle having water tracked across it from May through September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston