U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,904 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I work at Marathon Oil near the Galleria and I am looking for a house. I currently live free, but I need to move out before 2009. I am looking for a contemporary home, or something I can work with.

I have a budget of $200k.

I would love to live inside the 610 loop, but inside the beltway will do. I am 26yrs old and I'm looking for a real stylish house with real open living spaces and high ceilings. I am also looking at Pearland. I love one story houses. I will look at houses outside of houses if its a great deal on a great house. Something close to work would be cool too, but I know location price is a factor.

I am new to house shopping and am not sure what to look for value wise. I know granite countertops and wood floors up the value of a house, but thats about it.

Help a fellow young Houston please! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,008,202 times
You might try an area like Shepherd Forest (610 North at Shepherd) adjacent to Garden Oaks neighborhood. It has nice 1950's style homes. If you like neat architecture, you might also try Glenbrook Valley (610 South and I45) though the really cool places will stretch the budget a bit.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 8,146,758 times
Close in contemporaries are pretty much limited to townhomes. Mid-century moderns under $200k can be found in a few relatively close in places. (btw granite counters are considered inappropriate in MCM houses)

Robindell, off North Braeswood, has a number of modest mods. Braes Timbers just beyond has a few too.

Maplewood and Braeburn Valley has a few scattered through. You can also go due west to Tanglewilde. Walnut Bend sometimes has some mods, Olympia was the Parade of Homes street in 1960, but usually they are over $200k I think. They are scattered through Westbury with the best examples along Warm Springs where they were originally built for the 1959 Parade of Homes. Ones like this:

http://www.sellmodern.com/listing-SO...l+home-99.html

The Parade of Homes was held in Briarmeadow in '57, and there are some there but usually over $200k unless they face Richmond Ave. Memorial Bend is way over that price point.

Heading east, as stated before, you can always find them in Glenbrook Valley: http://www.glenbrookvalley.com/index.php?pageId=181786

as well as Meadowcreek Village. http://www.meadowcreekvillage.org/aboutmv.htm

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 9,904 times
We have van pools all around Houston so living close to work is not really a big issue. It would be nice, but not a must have.

I like Shadow Creek Ranch, from the little I have seen on the internet and 288 may be the least congested highway in Houston.

I guess forgot the Contemporary issue, as I probably won't be able to afford one on a $200k budget. I'm just looking for a house with open living spaces, high ceilings, and long arches.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,099,891 times
If you look for some neighborhoods that were built from 1975-1985 in parts of Houston, there were many that had a slew of contemporary housing, as it was a popular style during that era.

Heck, Houston has lots of neighborhoods filled with 80% Tudor, 10% ranch, 10% contemporary.

If I was buying an older house, I would probably shoot for a stylistic contemporary house as well. Many of these defeat the biggest problems of houses built in that era that stem from small spaces and low ceilings. Many of these contemporary houses have very tall ceilings and relatively open spaces that lend itself for a more modern feel even today.

I know in the area where I live (Spring/Klein) neighborhoods like Memorial Northest and Spring Creek Forest/Oaks have a bunch of these homes sitting in the price range you are looking for.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM

7,040 posts, read 10,189,714 times
Check out Willow Bend Westbury & Maple Wood area on the south west side close to the loop nice area low crime close to everything & in your price range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston