Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 AM

467 posts, read 1,185,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Exactly. My home is more than $500k but since when did even $500k become "affordable?" It still seems expensive to me, even though we can and do pay it.

I also have friends in Orchard and the devastation there is unbelievable. Millwood is even worse. In my opinion, don't
Say anything about Riverstone until you have driven through and seen it for yourself.
You are right...I don't consider $500k "affordable". It's expensive to me. Some people are living in their small little bubble that they don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 AM

52 posts, read 71,943 times
It seems to me all the people that have said negative things about RS are just the ones who couldn't afford to live there, and are just jealous for the people that can. LOL.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
it seems to me all the people that have said negative things about rs are just the ones who couldn't afford to live there, and are just jealous for the people that can. Lol.
+1

Old 10-16-2017, 12:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,131 times
Quote:
Yes, I do have piece of mind that if we flood I have the financial coverage I would need. But I don't feel completely good. What if I want to sell my house? I didn't flood but neighbors in my section did. That will affect my property values and perceptions of my house. Who will want to buy here?
I've been thinking about this as it pertains to county appraisals and property taxes. Our home, like yours, did not flood, but it was awfully close and our neighbors did in fact flood. We will have to disclose that our property (the land) flooded and that a structure on the property (our barn) was damaged by flood waters, even though the home itself was dry.

This for sure will affect future resale value, but I wonder if the CAD will look at our home (and yours as well) and say, "Oh, your dwelling didn't flood? Increase that appraisal value for all she's worth!" Basically "punishing" homes that didn't flood (but nearly did) with higher property appraisals that do not line up with actual market realities. I do not feel confident my home would now sell at the current valuation assigned to it by the CAD, let alone whatever increase they may have in mind for us come next April.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:13 PM

41 posts, read 73,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I've been thinking about this as it pertains to county appraisals and property taxes. Our home, like yours, did not flood, but it was awfully close and our neighbors did in fact flood. We will have to disclose that our property (the land) flooded and that a structure on the property (our barn) was damaged by flood waters, even though the home itself was dry.

This for sure will affect future resale value, but I wonder if the CAD will look at our home (and yours as well) and say, "Oh, your dwelling didn't flood? Increase that appraisal value for all she's worth!" Basically "punishing" homes that didn't flood (but nearly did) with higher property appraisals that do not line up with actual market realities. I do not feel confident my home would now sell at the current valuation assigned to it by the CAD, let alone whatever increase they may have in mind for us come next April.

So if a house didn't flood, but the flood waters got up to the front yard stopping about 4-5 feet from the front door and garage, does a seller need to disclose that if they go to sell?

Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Houston14 View Post
So if a house didn't flood, but the flood waters got up to the front yard stopping about 4-5 feet from the front door and garage, does a seller need to disclose that if they go to sell?
No

Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,131 times
Quote:
Our situation is a little different than most - we live on acreage and have a 3-sided barn that has electricity run out to it, therefore considered an improved structure and covered under our flood insurance. The barn itself flooded; the home did not, but we will have to disclose this information should we choose to sell in the future.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Quote:
Yeah our backyard never flooded and our front yard, well, we had at least enough driveway space that a car in our driveway was totally fine. But our street and front sidewalk were flooded. No houses on our street flooded though. What will come of our appraisals? Who knows? Obviously one poster here already thinks we are trash.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:08 PM

52 posts, read 71,943 times
Quote:
Yeah our backyard never flooded and our front yard, well, we had at least enough driveway space that a car in our driveway was totally fine. But our street and front sidewalk were flooded. No houses on our street flooded though. What will come of our appraisals? Who knows? Obviously one poster here already thinks we are trash.
"trash" because they couldn't get the home they wanted in RS, so they want to **** on other peoples happiness. Anyways, I don't think it will make a huge impact though.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:59 AM

98 posts, read 91,206 times
Wow, why the bashing? Just recently made a purchase and I love Riverstone. 750K got me what would cost 2.5 Mills in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston