Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
What I didn't mention on that to be honest is that I am always 5 to 10 miles above speed limit (maybe 15) and I leave my house at 6 AM in the morning. But still is a pretty good way to connect to 59. I don't miss HW6. But I am sure in 2 years or more from now the University is going to be as bad as HW6. Is just the nature of growth right.

Just to return the favor I really couldn't resist, so based on "ipuck" assessment we will be anyway screwed, upside down in our houses with bad investments and forced to sell out and downgrade to used houses somewhere in Sugar Land if we're lucky. Forget about equity :-)

I own real estate in 6 different countries and never lost a penny. 9 years ago Hong Kong was upside down and I was under about 40%. It took 5 years to get out of that funk and I am still making OK money on that rental. Enough to pay for itself and me fully pocket the equity. Do you know how much a square meter is in Hong Kong in the Kowloon side
Comparing Houston Suburbia to Hong Kong is not even apple to orange.

There were over 60k permits for new houses in Houston last year. Land does not run out here. How many more houses is Johnson Development going to sell there? Another 5000? That is why I constantly said it doesn't make sense to paid this kind of money out in Suburbia. Inside the loop, maybe. Out here? No way.

We will see how the house will continue to sell with the layoffs continuing. Riverstone seems like it is the favorite housing market for middle management O&G workers, which seems to be first in the firing squad lately.

Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
I will give you what's yours.

True, comparing Hong Kong with Houston is not apple to oranges. My point there is no matter what, real estate will always go up in good areas, and that's not just Riverstone but Sugar Land

The 60K permits and all that argument, I am not sure and you may be right, as you said, time will tell.

As for layoffs, your assessment is somehow right and yet not complete. Yes middle management and D & C levels as well live in this area and yes they may be on the firing squad first. Statistics (who gets canned) tell a different story if you ever had access to that kind of information I do so I know numbers. I make decisions at that level as well. And lastly most of those folks have a pretty good cushion of cash / investements to fall back on so I would't worry :-)

But I appreciate your well balanced view which is a view, and yes time will tell. My assessment is that we will be fine regardless where we decide to buy our houses :-)

I just got back after a week of skiing in Solitude / Salt Lake Utah and I am already itching to buy a place there after I sale my place in Steamboat Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Comparing Houston Suburbia to Hong Kong is not even apple to orange.

There were over 60k permits for new houses in Houston last year. Land does not run out here. How many more houses is Johnson Development going to sell there? Another 5000? That is why I constantly said it doesn't make sense to paid this kind of money out in Suburbia. Inside the loop, maybe. Out here? No way.

We will see how the house will continue to sell with the layoffs continuing. Riverstone seems like it is the favorite housing market for middle management O&G workers, which seems to be first in the firing squad lately.

Time will tell.

Last edited by ethanw; 03-17-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 AM

25 posts, read 40,241 times
Do you know how much a 1000sqft single unit is in PuDong,ShangHai? It costs more than 3 to 4 5000sqft houses in the RS.Convenient location is the best selling point in real estate, not schools. Anyway RS is a nice community with a lot of nice people.

Last edited by sirus1020; 03-18-2015 at 01:29 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
I live in Sienna and for the most part, really like it. Do I wish there were more "Sugar Land-type" retail & restaurants? Yes...but then, I would NEVER leave "the Sienna bubble".

I don't particularly like how long it takes to get out of Sienna and the lack of more egress but at the same time, it currently prevents Sienna from being a thru-way. I would be kind of mad if I were a Riverstone resident and found out they were putting a Good Will right smack in the middle of the community. Then again, there's some pretty good stuff there thanks to the communities that drop off. I almost bought some unique, excellent condition baskets from the one near Sienna until I realized they were MY MOM's that she had donated! No way I was going to pay when I could have taken them from her garage the week before but was too lazy to go through everything.

We have many friends in Riverstone and they love living there - more so now that promised neighborhood amenities are finally being built. The playground adjacent to the pool is FABULOUS!!!! Sienna can't hold a candle to that one!

Bottom line is that everyone chooses where they live for different reasons and will almost always find a perceived short-coming about someone else's community. All that really matters is that as homeowners, WE are satisfied.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
The goodwill coming to Riverstone is a donation center only, not a store where you can actually shop. FYI.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM
SW8

9 posts, read 20,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I live in Sienna and for the most part, really like it. Do I wish there were more "Sugar Land-type" retail & restaurants? Yes...but then, I would NEVER leave "the Sienna bubble".

I don't particularly like how long it takes to get out of Sienna and the lack of more egress but at the same time, it currently prevents Sienna from being a thru-way. I would be kind of mad if I were a Riverstone resident and found out they were putting a Good Will right smack in the middle of the community. Then again, there's some pretty good stuff there thanks to the communities that drop off. I almost bought some unique, excellent condition baskets from the one near Sienna until I realized they were MY MOM's that she had donated! No way I was going to pay when I could have taken them from her garage the week before but was too lazy to go through everything.

We have many friends in Riverstone and they love living there - more so now that promised neighborhood amenities are finally being built. The playground adjacent to the pool is FABULOUS!!!! Sienna can't hold a candle to that one!

Bottom line is that everyone chooses where they live for different reasons and will almost always find a perceived short-coming about someone else's community. All that really matters is that as homeowners, WE are satisfied.
Very well stated

Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 PM

154 posts, read 194,849 times
I have lived in Telfair and riverstone both...for me I like riverstone both . I liked both the community ...where as I liked Telfair's location but .I don't like the traffic and train noise there ...

Riverstone is beautiful. ..just love the house. ..play areas...the walking trails etc

Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 AM

152 posts, read 168,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
I have lived in Telfair and riverstone both...for me I like riverstone both . I liked both the community ...where as I liked Telfair's location but .I don't like the traffic and train noise there ...

Riverstone is beautiful. ..just love the house. ..play areas...the walking trails etc
So true.. the only thing i don't like about telfair is the noise .

Old 03-27-2015, 08:15 AM

156 posts, read 316,237 times
Year 2013 we almost purchased the house in Riverstone from Taylor Morrison, Wakefield plan in the gated community, first phase. It's all upgraded and inventory home, the price was list for $400k but sell for $360k, sale rep said exactly $360k not even a penny less. We loved the house but it backed with the University street, and the backyard is way too small, probably about 10ft long. So we didn't buy it.

Now that house worth more than $460k, wow less than 2 years the price has increased more than $100k, now I'm looking at the floor plan of TM, they're all over $440k with no upgrades.

I'm seeing a lot of layoffs from Oil and Gas company, I thought the real estate will slow down but how come it is increasing still?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM

152 posts, read 168,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies105 View Post
Year 2013 we almost purchased the house in Riverstone from Taylor Morrison, Wakefield plan in the gated community, first phase. It's all upgraded and inventory home, the price was list for $400k but sell for $360k, sale rep said exactly $360k not even a penny less. We loved the house but it backed with the University street, and the backyard is way too small, probably about 10ft long. So we didn't buy it.

Now that house worth more than $460k, wow less than 2 years the price has increased more than $100k, now I'm looking at the floor plan of TM, they're all over $440k with no upgrades.

I'm seeing a lot of layoffs from Oil and Gas company, I thought the real estate will slow down but how come it is increasing still?

Since inventory is less , the prices are not coming down . Only effect I have seen is the houses are sitting for longer time in market . Now a days houston is progressing in other fields , not only in oil and gas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston