Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,445 times

Advertisements

I received a jaywalking ticket in Houston TX about 10 or 11 years ago (I was an out of towner) and never paid my ticket on principle because the "cop" was just cruel and it was unwarranted. Will this affect me now (I live in NYC/CT) or is there a time limit on collection of these tickets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycybc21 View Post
I received a jaywalking ticket in Houston TX about 10 or 11 years ago (I was an out of towner) and never paid my ticket on principle because the "cop" was just cruel and it was unwarranted. Will this affect me now (I live in NYC/CT) or is there a time limit on collection of these tickets?
Is "cop" in quotations because there is doubt as to whether this was a uniformed officer of the law versus say a homeless guy on roller skates / animitronic lawn gnome / figment of your imagination?

Also, any particular reason you decided to share your 10/11 year old (which is it? Are you confused because of all the time traveling you have done recently?) story of disregard for the law for your first post on CD?

I eagerly await your response.

Last edited by NTexas2010; 03-04-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Talking Ha....

Cellie: 'Sup

You: Hi

Cellie: What you in for?

You: Jaywalking

Cellie: You be my b*tch!

Seriously, if it was a legitimate ticket, you probably have an arrest warrant, not because you Jaywalked, but because the fine was not paid. I'd contact the city of Houston Municipal courts, they can look your name up and tell you:

City of Houston Municipal Courts

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
If you are ever pulled over on a traffic violation it would show an outstanding warrant most likely. As someone who drives downtown regularly I will say jaywalking is dangerous. Particularly at dusk and dawn. Drivers are often downtown who don't go there frequently and are already confused. Some don't even understand yielding to pedestrians at crosswalks. You certainly don't need to be jumping out into the street to cross in the middle of the block. Ticket was warranted if that is actually what you did.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM

672 posts, read 847,279 times
They give jaywalking tickets here? Growing up in NYC, jaywalking was the only way to walk and I do it all the time here and in front of cops....I don't even think twice about it. Is that something that they used to do or still do? Now I'll be paranoid the next time I do it LOL

Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default There's always one in the crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
They give jaywalking tickets here? Growing up in NYC, jaywalking was the only way to walk and I do it all the time here and in front of cops....I don't even think twice about it. Is that something that they used to do or still do? Now I'll be paranoid the next time I do it LOL
As the OP inferred, sometimes some cops are just *ss holes because they can be. Most of them, like almost all of us, are too busy with REAL things to bother with than these trivial things. I see cops ignore people running through red lights, even speeding on the freeway all the time. Like you and I, they have somewhere to go, things to do and don't want to get caught up in paperwork for some things. But now and again, you will find these jewels of the community.... especially those who's only job it is to dole out speeding tickets on a feeder road trap, and then be assigned to the courts during the week to be present so the city can collect.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
A girl I knew in high school jay-walked across a two lane road and managed to get herself hit by a vehicle. She suffered minor scrapes and bruises, but to add insult to injury was cited for jay-walking.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times
So instead of going to court and fighting it you decided to ignore it? smart move. probably a warrant out for your arrest now.

wish they would pass out a lot more in the medical center.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:01 PM

81 posts, read 138,748 times
When the light rail first opened up in downtown they were really strict about jaywalking because of the potential for accidents. I am sure the emphasis goes up and down depending on number of accidents and/or the city's budget needs.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
A girl I knew in high school jay-walked across a two lane road and managed to get herself hit by a vehicle. She suffered minor scrapes and bruises, but to add insult to injury was cited for jay-walking.
yup your not accually allowed to just cross the street any place you feel like. there is cross walks for a reason. And you don't accually have to stop for someone jay walking either. Though you better render aid if you do hit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston