Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

I'll be praying for you ipuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 03:17 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I'll be praying for you ipuck.
Because you can't handle the truth and facts?

I am doing fine thank you. Pray for the folks that really need it.

Here we go again with anther "incident" in Wisconsin. What do you think will happen when you go punch a cop and live a thug life? I am tired of certain races not being accountable for their criminal behavior and then cry racism when they are caught or die.

Last edited by ipuck; 03-07-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I am tired of certain races not being accountable for their criminal behavior ....
Once again, another racist post
Get out of that bubble dude, nobody gets a free pass for being X race, especially minorities.
When's the last time you saw on the news anybody being arrested for meth?

The people that play the race game is the news media because is profitable for them.
Talk to real people of all colors and you will see that the news media doesn't portray reality.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Even within such a "positive" article on Houston, I can't believe nobody saw the subtext in there:
"Surprisingly, for a metro area nearing seven million residents, crime is not the number one concern: it’s traffic, education and the skills gap in the middle work force that lead the hand wringing"

So yes the economy is doing well, but the best jobs are being filled by outsiders from CA/Northeast who are applying their wonderful education to further Houston. The underlying current, however, is that Houston cannot fill those positions from within. So you have the well educated coming in and taking all the good jobs (used to be called carpetbagging back in the day) and the uneducated locals are left with the low wage service jobs.

It's a model that worked well for most of America. Get educated in a region with lots of taxes and hence great social services and education, then move to a region with very limited social services when you've made it big and don't need them, to exploit the resources of the area with personal gain from a cheap cost of living and low taxation. It probably started with Rome, Rome would use the natural resources of the hinterland to prop up Rome. So forests in France would be used to make exquisite furniture in Rome. Great Britain used this strategy the world over, plenty of well educated British elite would go to India and suck the economy dry over there, exporting all the tea leaves back to the UK for instance. Same thing is happening in Texas. Use the manufacturing capacity of those East Houston polluting chemical plants, which are banned on East/West Coast, to refine crude oil from West Texas, laughing all the way to the bank while nearby residents suffer from the worst rates of cancer in the country.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Cbach, that's what LA looks like now. Most of the best jobs are filled in by transplants. Entertainment is mostly transplant. The working class LA natives get stuck with the terrible jobs or good skilled labor that fluctuates heavily.

It's an issue I've been raising that will happen to Houston but everyone thought I was being over dramatic. The boom is best for people who can get in on it and have the credentials or the highly skilled labor. Everyone else, which means 1/3 of the job force will take on the low skilled low wage work. And Houston doesn't have the best or most extensive trade colleges, skills programs or much less programs that help you pay for them. I remember how expensive CC was and that was over ten years ago!

The mentality still seems to be that if you can't get yourself in on the boom then tough luck.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's a model that worked well for most of America. Get educated in a region with lots of taxes and hence great social services and education, then move to a region with very limited social services when you've made it big and don't need them, to exploit the resources of the area with personal gain from a cheap cost of living and low taxation.
Believe it or not... there's people that think this is good for Texas
And then you'll hear them complain about low paying jobs, roads, education, poverty, etc.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I agree
we should require all voters to have a college degree
Guys, you do realize that Houston and Harris County voted for President Obama BOTH TIMES...don't you?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Guys, you do realize that Houston and Harris County voted for President Obama BOTH TIMES...don't you?
Do you realize that education funding in Texas is controlled by the republican controlled government of Texas?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Wow my comments quieted down this thread. I know, the truth hurts, but it must be said.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Well I am experiencing this firsthand. I am am one of the few capable natives who is also going to offend someone. First everyone knows the Houston metro is a giant ghetto with a few wealthy areas. It has made "least educated cities" list and to be honest, stupid is part of local culture. So of course we have to import our labor. However that number is massive, to where natives are strangers in their own homes. It has gotten to the point where I've seen capable natives pick up and leave the Houston office environment to work in high paid specialty jobs in the toxic east side or take the plunge and start their own consulting firm. Carpetbaggers come here with a preconceived notion that we are dumb and lazy but the truth is they are running off our very best people, who don't get their heads wrapped around a bunch of meaningless thoughts as they relate to business.

BTW don't forget the H1Bs that are flooding this place, too. Which means if you enjoy micromanaging or being micromanaged you'll enjoy this environment. The drones are respectful but If your supervisor is a former H1B turned citizen, all I have to say is good luck to you. Watch how all the Americans drop out one at a time while they'll be replaced by H1Bs that do not question why they are asked to do completely asinine tasks. If they start making their way into management your goose is cooked. Over the past couple of years I've experienced and heard of increasingly poisonous work environments. Makes the east side seem not so bad... I'd rather work with good old boys than immigrants who still have 3rd world hygiene issues..

Is it any wonder we are ranked one of the unhappiest work cities in the US? And when the economy whimpers this summer everyone here will wipe their butts with us one more time before leaving. If your high priced neighborhood has a lot of these people you stand a chance st losing big if something doesn't turn around soon.

Last edited by detachable arm; 03-11-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: