U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 05:40 PM

63 posts, read 104,043 times

Advertisements

So far I have Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and Cadilac Ranch on my list. Any others? Will be traveling with 3 boys and plan to stop for the night rather than drive straight through. Our destination is Albuquerque. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:00 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,538,617 times
Big Tex is great for kids. Make sure you bring spray cans of paint for the Cadillac Ranch (surpise the kids when you get there). Jump off to see the stretch of Route 66 with all of the old motels. TinkerTown is a really unique place for kids - - lots of fun.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,323,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysandacat View Post
So far I have Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and Cadilac Ranch on my list. Any others? Will be traveling with 3 boys and plan to stop for the night rather than drive straight through. Our destination is Albuquerque. Thanks!
Assuming that you take the 10, I'd suggest seeing the Alamo in San Antonio, Marfa,Tex if you stray off to the Alt 90 route, Carlsbad Caverns (about an hour to hour and a half drive north of the 10 in Carlsbad, New Mexico,
Silver Sands, NM and Sta Fe, NM

Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
fnh

2,735 posts, read 3,217,302 times
The OP is taking the northern route to do the activities stated. The drive to Albuquerque takes two days anyway so there isn't much time to add more activities. Going north will take you near Fort Worth, the Stockyards might be worth a stop around lunchtime the first day.

If you ever go the western route you can tour Sonora Caverns and still make it to Ft. Stockton in one day. You can then hit Roswell the second day and see aliens. I don't know your reasons for staying in Albuquerque but Santa Fe is close and more interesting.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:15 PM

959 posts, read 2,518,805 times
If your children are young, I would skip the alien stuff in Roswell as it may be too frighten for them and museums are boring for young children. Instead, we took our children to Carlsbad Caverns and chose to hike downward from outside which is at least a mile but all downward steps. We saw harmless flying bats at the entrance and many interesting features inside the cave. Then took the elevator up. We also took them to White Sands National Park and they liked that, too. Bring or buy a sand sled to slide down. Also bring sunglasses and lots of water as it's bright like snow and hot.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM
bu2

18,544 posts, read 9,021,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysandacat View Post
Heading to Austin and cutting north is more interesting than Highway 6 all the way to Abilene. Maybe go to Fredricksburg before cutting north and doing Enchanted Rock and the Nimitz Museum. Not really much else except Palo Duro and the Cadillac Ranch. There's a winery in Lubbock, but probably not a stop with 3 boys.

Its a long drive. We did it once with Albuquerque and Santa Fe our destinations, stopping in Austin on the way over and cutting through Ft. Worth to Waco to College Station on the way back. There are things to do in DFW, of course.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM

959 posts, read 2,518,805 times
Well, if you decide to take I-45 route instead of I-10, then you might want to stop at the Dinosaur Valley State Park where your kids can look for dinosaur footprints along the creek if it's dry. But rain will block your hike down there.

A 2-day drive with the family is a lot easier these days with DVDs, laptops, iPhones, and iPads.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,412,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post

A 2-day drive with the family is a lot easier these days with DVDs, laptops, iPhones, and iPads.
Lol. No joke. 4 kids in a station wagon in 80's..I think Dad "pulled over" at least once an hour. Ah Memories.

Now you strap them in and they sit like zombies for hours staring at a screen, not even knowing or caring how they got to the destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston