Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Huh? The "La Porte Freeway" is 225, which stops at 610. That map showed it coming all the way through the east end (which as we all know got shot down) to 59 east of downtown.
At the east end it was called Harrisburg Freeway, which got shot down.

Another that got shot down was the Red Bluff Freeway, which was also considered in that period of time. Today it looks like 2 feeder roads with a huge missing center (freeway).

TexasFreeway.com > Houston> Historic Information > Cancelled Freeways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It used it for years to commute to the TMC. It's packed in the mornings and evenings with medical workers as well as students.

Houston drastically needs a well functioning public transportation system. Widening the freeways is not sufficient to keep up with the increasing traffic situation. I was visiting in March and the traffic was worse than ever.
With all of the rain we've been having, things are even worse. I do agree with the need for a mass transit in this town. I just don't know how to do it well with all of the infrastructure already built around freeways.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:15 AM

22 posts, read 28,140 times
A rail system needs to be built ; we all know this. O ther cities all over the U.S. have already done it and it's not a panacea but, if implemented correctly can greatly offer transportation options to the ever worsening traffic. But it most be done in stages and implemented to work for business, not for political consituencies, but still needs to be built using the feeder roads as right of ways. We need to start now with the most congested areas of town ....actually anything within the 610 loop to downtown needs a fix but this rail line cannot be an at grade, free ride, accident causing , slow moving system and it has to reach to the suburbs quickly , where people can, if and when traffic gets clogged, pull off , at an exit, park in a garage to the train and , jump on the train to a central heavy rail hub. At the heavy rail hub, say , a Galleria hub or the Intermodal terminal a little north of downtown, there can be light rail , or heavy rail connections going in all the directions of Houston. The i 45 corridor should be an immediate concern for Houston, connecting both airports with a light rail system to this heavy rail system on hwy 45. Also , the problem with the Galleria area is that there must be a light rail circular system built above ground that will meander thru the skyscrapers , Westheimer, Richmond and Post Oak and connect to an intermodal /Galleria heavy train system up 610 to 290 and crossing at hwy 10 where 10 goes to Katy and the Downtown Intermodal terminal. Houston has to get this system running or vote for some kind of mobility train plan that doesn't just deal with low income low density, impoverished areas of the inner city but with traffic clogging suburban traffic that services the suburbs for passengers who will pay for the service and not just use government transportation cards or who just jump on for free because there is no gated / pay as you enter system.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 AM

186 posts, read 209,302 times
When we moved from north Houston (just south of Spring) to inner loop, my husband was very specific with his one request: He wanted to find a place within walking distance of the light rail because, to him, that was the biggest benefit of living within the loop. We go to concerts a lot and sporting events and it's really convenient for us. We use all the time going up into downtown, and come rodeo time, we'll probably use it to go south. (We live on Richmond at 59.)

Portland's MAX system is awesome. I used to ride it all. the. time. when i lived there. Having it go straight out to the airport, suuuper freaking convenient. I really wish Houston had embraced a similar system. I miss the MAX...

Weirdly. I won't ride the buses. They scare me for some reason. LOL. I'm totally light rail friendly but no thanks on the buses. :/

Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Most people are like that. They'd rather take the train than the bus. Here in DC, the train system is far more used than the bus. But in Chicago, with it's extensive train system, the bus has higher ridership than the train. Go figure on that one. I'm like you though. I'd rather the train the bus but if I'm traveling locally, I'd rather take the bus. But it's great to have options. If the bus is taking to long, I'm getting on the train or requesting an uber.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Had Houston built the system it designed in the 1970's, it probably would be bigger than both Chicago and LA at this time. The highway system would move quickly and billions would have been saved on upgrades which would have been used to beautify the city and make it even more attractive. It would be the NYC of the South.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
In Spanish speaking countries people say "If my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bicycle"

Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
United said Denver got the pilot training center due to light rail going to the airport...man..their smart..I guess that doesn't exist in Houston yet

Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
yeah Denver has built a great rail system too (the central hub is fantastic). wait. it goes all the way out to the freaking airport..? that thing is way out in the boonies... i flew there recently and remember thinking on the drive into the city, dang why did they build the airport way out here? we can't even get rail to Hobby.. lol, sad, but you've got to laugh at yourself sometimes...

seriously though. the two new lines are nice.. but get it together Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston