Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 AM

259 posts, read 350,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelau View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I would be renting, at least for the first year. Will a realtor tell me which areas in Montrose/heights are sketchy and to avoid or would I need to research this in advance? I think that is the most troubling aspect as it's hard to tell sometimes.

I think it's 1-0 to Montrose so far
If you are renting why don't you try a year in each place and then go from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM

370 posts, read 612,556 times
You mentioned walkability, I'd go with Montrose. Go with West Montrose specifically since you were open to river oaks as well.(this is the best part of montrose in terms of property values rising) In this location, you will be .5 miles from a Whole Foods and 2 Krogers, 1 Mile away from arguably one of the best HEB's in Houston. Great access to good restaurants and bars. Midtown being a $5 cab ride away. When you're in the Heights, expect the distances to double or triple to those same destinations, and the cost of cabs to triple. I like the heights too, once a month I go there to eat something different than what's in UK/Montrose or to meet up some friends who are at a bar there, but I wouldn't move or live there. As another poster mentioned it has "pockets" that I don't feel safe walking in.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 45,871 times
I agree with the posters who mentioned Montrose (particularly West Montrose). I lived in the River Oaks area as a renter a couple of years ago and I now own in the Heights. If I were a renter with your criteria, I would choose West Montrose/East River Oaks, particularly somewhere near the Whole Foods on Waugh. It's a prime area where you could walk to shops on W. Gray and you would be pretty close to Midtown, Washington Ave and other intown amenities. The Heights would only be a few minutes away, you would have easy access to I-10 and you would have several options to get to downtown and the west loop (galleria area) and avoid the interstate alltogether.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelau View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I would be renting, at least for the first year. Will a realtor tell me which areas in Montrose/heights are sketchy and to avoid or would I need to research this in advance? I think that is the most troubling aspect as it's hard to tell sometimes.

I think it's 1-0 to Montrose so far
Maybe not tell you directly, but you would/should be able to infer it. And, if you find someplace you think you like, if you come back to this forum and post the address (at least in terms of cross streets), you will get answers. You can also ask your work colleagues as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:58 PM

129 posts, read 170,903 times
Why you wanna be in walking distance to bars? Anyway bars are the main theme of Houston, anywhere you live you're near too many.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Need to be more specific...

Both areas are pretty large. If in Montrose, near Shepherd, then yes, a commute into downtown would take longer, but if you live in East Montrose/Midtown, then just several stop lights. Same of the Heights. Now, for what you mention, East Montrose/Midtown would work best, especially if renting. The Heights is more residential, and though there are a lot of rental options, Montrose/Midtown have much, much more. East Montrose is also closest to St Thomas University, Rice University, UofH, TSU, Medical Center, Museums, I45/I10/288, bars, restaurants, etc. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
Why you wanna be in walking distance to bars?
You are right, it's better to drive after drinking from one bar to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If in Montrose, near Shepherd, then yes, a commute into downtown would take longer, but if you live in East Montrose/Midtown, then just several stop lights. Same of the Heights. Now, for what you mention, East Montrose/Midtown would work best, especially if renting. The Heights is more residential, and though there are a lot of rental options, Montrose/Midtown have much, much more. East Montrose is also closest to St Thomas University, Rice University, UofH, TSU, Medical Center, Museums, I45/I10/288, bars, restaurants, etc. Good luck.
I used to live in the Heights and now live close to Shepherd (by Café Brasil and Common Bond) in the Montrose area. A prime spot to be in. I work downtown and it takes me 10 minutes to get to work with traffic. The Heights took a little bit longer.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 10,484 times
I would vote for Montrose, but I think that midtwon or even downtown are better options for Europeans. There are buses, you can walk, you can take the tram to Hermann Park and the museum district. Around the tram line both in mid town and downtown there are good apartments with a lot at walking distance. I lived in River Oaks, there is life there too, but now I'm in downtown and I like it much better. People are young professionals, diverse, they are opening new more modern bars and restaurants. Some oil and gas companies have their offices downtown.
They say that it's not safe and indeed there are some homeless people, but usually they are not dangerous and there are police officers around.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM

86 posts, read 105,954 times
You mention walkability to bars grocery stores etc. Come summer, you may not want to walk to these places as you will sweat due to the heat / humidity. Montrose is a great area. It's got good coffee shops, bars, restaurants. Heights in my opinion is more young families / couples territories. It still has some great restaurants, but you may find that there is a better selection of rental property near or around Montrose.

Have you considered Rice Military?

It's somewhat in the middle of heights and montrose. It has easy access to I-10, and to the loop and I-45. It's also a $6-$8 Uber ride to any bar in midtown / montrose. Almost everything is in a 3-5 mile radius. In addition, you can walk to one of the better parks in Houston - Memorial Park. There is also a running / biking trail on Memorial drive (Buffalo Bayou) and it's getting ready for a grand opening in June. Washington Ave. has some cool bars / restaurants. The closest Whole Foods / Kroger is about 2 miles away. Downtown is visible from the streets. The theater district also isn't too far away.

I was in the same boat as you last september and when I came, I looked at 7 different properties. I eventually settled with one at Rice Military. I couldn't be happier. I work near Greenspoint area and unless there is an accident, it takes me 20-25 minutes to get to work. It's a reverse commute so I'm always going against traffic. The Rice Military area is a quiet and pretty safe area where in the evening, on the streets you will see people walking their dogs, young couples taking a stroll, parents with their toddlers and babies in strollers just walking around the neighborhood.

I had a very good apartment locator. If you would like, please PM me and I can send you his information. He knew the streets inside out and told me where the sketchy areas of town were.

Oh and as another poster said, Welcome to Houston. (When you eventually get here).

Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Sketchy is for you to decide, and the best way to test that out is to go and test it out. Safety greatly consists of peace-of-mind. I will say you will probably get that "feeling" when something sketches you out. I hear women are better at this, too.

Then again [yawn] as a society-declared "hoodie" I'm not sure I've been able to test said sketch factor, because apparently I am the sketch factor. (HA!) I've been known, on occasion to borrow my neighbors bra, panties and high-heels, tape my eyelids wide open and rush in and out of my Montrose eight-plex. (Don't worry though, I break on Halloween... Don't want things to get too Scary Spice for da kids!)

For me, at least theoretically, bar and safety don't go hand-in-hand, then again there are many types of bars. Also, for a long while, we'll say maybe more than half a year, there was also a homeless guy who lived in an abandoned ice cream truck next to my building. I think he just sleeps on the pavement now. I could see how that would sketch some people, but it bothered me none.

The Heights seems safer, whatever that means, and more positively sedate in terms of incorporating an environment that a 30-year-old single female would enjoy. Families and single females seem like they fit well together to me. (You might not want to ask these people :-P They haven't experienced zoning.)

Maybe I also know Montrose too well as a perennial pedestrian, or I just live at a particularly loud intersection, but Montrose has a lot more nooks and crannies; I see The Heights, Rice Military, Rice Village as having more balanced temperament, and more appropriate when taking all of your needs into consideration.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 03-31-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston