Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Cars, clothes, funitures etc. aren't thing i considered as my assets or investment . I do not care about them.
You might not consider them assets, but once you actually purchase them (not financing but paid for) they are assets. When you pay for your car, even if that means after 5 years and you finally have it paid for, it is an asset. You can liquidate it and have currency in its place.

No, they are not investments, but they end up as assets.

Although it's relatively rare, I can point to thousands of homes in areas of cities like Detroit where the homes didn't turn out to be investments but liabilities.

In Houston, there are many neighborhoods consisting of tens of thousands of homes that once you count what was paid in interest, taxes and maintenance, didn't yield their owners a dime. If you bought a home in several of the neighborhoods in Champions in 2000 and sold it in 2010, you most likely didn't make a dime after you count all of the associated costs of having that home - interest, taxes, maintenance and repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I think you're confusing this issue. Yes, you SHOULD consider the purchase of your home as you would any other investment because that is exactly what it is. ANYTHING you put money into IS an investment.
That's false. I put money in my car that I'll not see any ROI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Now, is it the best investment you'll ever make? Maybe not, but when you're plunking down 15, 20, 25% or whatever of your take home salary on a house for 15-30 years I find it absolutely ludicrous your advice is NOT treat that as an investment.

Crazy talk.
Not for most people.

Let's say you buy a home for $250k and have a 4% APR for 30 years.

You end up paying $180k in interest alone.

How Much Will My Loan Cost

How much do you think taxes, insurance and maintenance is going to cost you over those 30 years?

If your effective tax rate is 1% a year on that house, you'll pay $75k over those 30 years.

So, we you'll pay $180k in interest plus $75k in property taxes. So, just between those two, that house will cost you $255k (not including the $250k you paid for it).

So after the 30 years, that $250k house cost you $505k before we start adding up maintenance.

Since a home's maintenance is between 1% and 4% of it's value per year ( Look at Maintenance Costs Before Leaping Into Homeownership - US News ), we'll go low and say 1%. That means you'll pay $2500 per year which will be another $75k for those 30 years. That's also not counting the increase year to year due to inflation.

So, now we are up to $580k.

Let's say in Texas, you end up paying $1000 per year in insurance. Just like maintenance, we won't factor in that this will continue to rise. So, we'll say $30k over the 30 years.

Now we are up to $610k for that $250k house "investment". Meaning that you'd have to clear at least $610k to make any kind of profit.

Now, in Texas, historically we have seen a 70% increase in value over 30 years ( Historical Census of Housing Tables Home Values - Housing Topics - U.S. Census Bureau ).

If you did better than history, let's say you doubled it and you saw a 140% increase in value over those 30 years, you'd be looking at at value of $600k when you sold your home.

That means you'd actually lose at least $10k.

Would you consider losing $10k a good return on your investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Looks like land where there's anything close to being desired is at a premium. Just because land is cheap in Trinity Gardens doesn't mean its a bargain.

I'm sure a few other expensive cities still have a ton of land.
Until this urban trend of moving back to city center the last 10 years, there was not much appreciation in those areas that is trendy now.

Also big difference here is there is no zoning law and the state/city/county is more than willing to give license to build as many house as they want.

I read somewhere Houston along issue 70k new house permit last year while the whole state of California issue 6k. There is no scarcity here.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Until this urban trend of moving back to city center the last 10 years, there was not much appreciation in those areas that is trendy now.

Also big difference here is there is no zoning law and the state/city/county is more than willing to give license to build as many house as they want.

I read somewhere Houston along issue 70k new house permit last year while the whole state of California issue 6k. There is no scarcity here.
Yes, the close in hot areas that really saw huge value increases were just a small percentage of the overall Houston market.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM

292 posts, read 547,818 times
Quote:

Are you saying that in the whole state of California last year there were only 6k new homes built???

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
Are you saying that in the whole state of California last year there were only 6k new homes built???
His numbers are definitely off. LA alone had over 10,000 house permits last year.
Houston is building a lot though, as far as single family homes, Houston MSA builds more than any other metro area in the country. (NYC for multifamily homes.)

Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
Houston Is Issuing More Home Permits Than All of California - Businessweek

Google is your friend.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:15 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You might not consider them assets, but once you actually purchase them (not financing but paid for) they are assets. When you pay for your car, even if that means after 5 years and you finally have it paid for, it is an asset. You can liquidate it and have currency in its place.

No, they are not investments, but they end up as assets.

Although it's relatively rare, I can point to thousands of homes in areas of cities like Detroit where the homes didn't turn out to be investments but liabilities.

In Houston, there are many neighborhoods consisting of tens of thousands of homes that once you count what was paid in interest, taxes and maintenance, didn't yield their owners a dime. If you bought a home in several of the neighborhoods in Champions in 2000 and sold it in 2010, you most likely didn't make a dime after you count all of the associated costs of having that home - interest, taxes, maintenance and repairs.

Not for most people.

Let's say you buy a home for $250k and have a 4% APR for 30 years.

You end up paying $180k in interest alone.

How Much Will My Loan Cost

How much do you think taxes, insurance and maintenance is going to cost you over those 30 years?

If your effective tax rate is 1% a year on that house, you'll pay $75k over those 30 years.

So, we you'll pay $180k in interest plus $75k in property taxes. So, just between those two, that house will cost you $255k (not including the $250k you paid for it).

So after the 30 years, that $250k house cost you $505k before we start adding up maintenance.

Since a home's maintenance is between 1% and 4% of it's value per year ( Look at Maintenance Costs Before Leaping Into Homeownership - US News ), we'll go low and say 1%. That means you'll pay $2500 per year which will be another $75k for those 30 years. That's also not counting the increase year to year due to inflation.

So, now we are up to $580k.

Let's say in Texas, you end up paying $1000 per year in insurance. Just like maintenance, we won't factor in that this will continue to rise. So, we'll say $30k over the 30 years.

Now we are up to $610k for that $250k house "investment". Meaning that you'd have to clear at least $610k to make any kind of profit.

Now, in Texas, historically we have seen a 70% increase in value over 30 years ( Historical Census of Housing Tables Home Values - Housing Topics - U.S. Census Bureau ).

If you did better than history, let's say you doubled it and you saw a 140% increase in value over those 30 years, you'd be looking at at value of $600k when you sold your home.

That means you'd actually lose at least $10k.

Speaking as a person who bought in Champions area in 1990 and sold in Dec of 2013 for 50K over what I paid plus a roof, windows, Hardi, paint in and out, new kitchen, window treatment , flooring Yada, Yada.

Yes but, I had somewhere really nice to live for all those years. A cheap ass apartment would have run me a thousand a month.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
His numbers are definitely off. LA alone had over 10,000 house permits last year.
Houston is building a lot though, as far as single family homes, Houston MSA builds more than any other metro area in the country. (NYC for multifamily homes.)
Maybe I am off by 4000. 60,000 in Houston vs 10,000 in LA with 4X more population.

Wonder why a 80 year old shack in borderline ghetto cost 400k in LA? Who wins beside the developers?

Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Maybe I am off by 4000. 60,000 in Houston vs 10,000 in LA with 4X more population.

Wonder why a 80 year old shack in borderline ghetto cost 400k in LA? Who wins beside the developers?
That's because the most predominant form of new construction in LA are not single family homes, but multifamily dwellings. Those are counted separately.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Quote:
I do see an ROI because my car gets me to work every day.

Quote:
Its a better investment than spending $900k on rent over the same time period.

I'm thinking you missed my point, anyhoo, we're off topic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston