Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM

29 posts, read 45,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm in the same boat. I wish my value would go down.

I looked at my next door neighbor, and they took his market value up 33% and his appraisal up 10%.

------------

Like I said before, I still don't understand why our taxes are based upon this. Just because my perceived home value went up doesn't mean it costs the government any more to provide services.
I am afraid this has nothing to do with actual values), more so budget projection shortfalls and what dollar amount they need, very very sad. I own approv 10 acres in oak forest area and appraisals went up over 100 percent on some properties and 60 percent on others. Hard to plan for the future when they take what they want when they want.

Last edited by raysor; 03-28-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm76 View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Harris County defines a bedroom for appraisal purposes and have a link to the definition?

The county has our place listed with 1 more bedroom than it physically has and all i can figure is the county is counting our tiny 5x8 office as a bedroom...

Thanks,
Jim

I think to be considered a bedroom, it has to have a window and a closet. I'm not sure if there is a minimum square footage.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
How in the world did they know you did a kitchen remodel?
When the house went for sale when I was buying it they pulled photos of the home from mls. They specifically said this and used the same words the realtor used to describe the kitchen cabinets. Yes its a nice finish and paint job but inexpensive 80/90s cabinets. They didnt believe me

Old 03-29-2015, 02:53 PM

52 posts, read 65,953 times
I am curious what we can expect, as we buy at end of apr, want to put in for homestead asap, tax rate is 3.41. How will my new house be appraised? I have looked at neighborhood appraisals on hcad and it is all over the place.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:50 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
If HCAD appraisers come around asking questions, are you obligated to answer them? They came around last year and I did answer them and was perfectly honest but didn't know if I could just not answer the door. Of course, they still got things wrong but that's not my fault!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The fact that there are higher alternative costs does not make it an investment.
So your solution is just to ignore the fact that those living expenses would exist? Seems a little silly to me. Leaving out that part of the equation is nonsense.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
If HCAD appraisers come around asking questions, are you obligated to answer them? They came around last year and I did answer them and was perfectly honest but didn't know if I could just not answer the door. Of course, they still got things wrong but that's not my fault!
I don't think you have to answer them, I'd just tell them I'm busy and can't talk right now. They sent me the surveys twice after I bought my house and both times I threw them in the trash. Then they sent someone to my house who already had the sale price of my house written down, so they know what you paid for your house. I guess they just send someone out to confirm it.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 AM

413 posts, read 1,179,925 times
Quote:
I spoke to one of the guys and answered his questions. He told me they're not allowed to come in and just have to appraise from outside. All he was looking for was sq footage. The rest is added by the bureaucrats sitting in offices based on location, neighborhood, budget needs etc.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Thanks. They asked me if we had any additions, had done any remodeling, how many bedrooms and confirmed we had a pool. They got the bedrooms and sq ft wrong then under the building description of our house they have it as a base area of 2040 sq ft with a finished attic of 1021 sq ft. I wonder what they call the attic on top of the "finished attic"!! Our house is not a square box as not many houses are but we live in a very obvious two story house. 4 beds, 2 bath up with the master and 1 1/2 baths down!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM

259 posts, read 350,343 times
Quote:
I just bought a house and the title company told me specifically to ignore HCAD appraisers. They said I don't have to give them any information and it's in my best interest not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston