Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM

167 posts, read 331,754 times

Advertisements

We are a family with elementary school aged children moving to Houston. We will need to be in commuting distance to the Memorial area and the new Exxon plant in Spring. We are looking to excellent public schools for the kids. Budget to buy a house is around 1 million. Can you please guide us on where to consider. Are there certain traffic patterns that we should be aware of as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,479 times
You can look into the Cypress/Tomball areas if you really want middle ground.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
I'd suggest a pick where one of you (assuming both working??) are close to the schools to allow for picking up sick kids or other emergencies and at least one of you being able to attend school plays, sports etc and also potentially drive them to various after school activities.

I'm thinking I'd rather suffer the commute from Memorial to Spring than Spring to Memorial for a number of reasons. Being able to work offset hours would help in either direction, say 7-4. Not such a bad commute at that time, at least from my limited experience driving it from Memorial.

You're budget would get you zoned to Stratford comfortably.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
My neighbors in Oak Forest work for Exxon and are in your exact position. Oak Forest Elementary is a highly rated school in HISD. Lots of new construction to pick from in your price range in walking distance of the school. Check out zip code 77018 but make sure its zoned to Oak Forest Elementary. Sample Listing: 1226 Chippendale, Houston TX 77018 - HAR.com. I work in Memorial are and its around a 20 minute commute. Maybe 35-40 minutes up to Exxon campus.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDoctor77 View Post
We are a family with elementary school aged children moving to Houston. We will need to be in commuting distance to the Memorial area and the new Exxon plant in Spring. We are looking to excellent public schools for the kids. Budget to buy a house is around 1 million. Can you please guide us on where to consider. Are there certain traffic patterns that we should be aware of as well?
You are the second person who has posted that they are relocating to Houston and will be working at the new Exxon/Mobil Campus that has called it a plant. Is this what the insiders at Exxon call it or is it just a easy mistake to make ?

As far as where to live you may want to look into Jersey Village a small municipality located roughly at the interchange of Beltway 8 and US 290,

Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
There is not an Exxon plant in spring. Those are the headquarters offices. If you truly meant plant that is located in Baytown

Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,242,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
My neighbors in Oak Forest work for Exxon and are in your exact position. Oak Forest Elementary is a highly rated school in HISD. Lots of new construction to pick from in your price range in walking distance of the school. Check out zip code 77018 but make sure its zoned to Oak Forest Elementary. Sample Listing: 1226 Chippendale, Houston TX 77018 - HAR.com. I work in Memorial are and its around a 20 minute commute. Maybe 35-40 minutes up to Exxon campus.
Why does this area have such a huge # of homes for sale now?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Why does this area have such a huge # of homes for sale now?
1. Oak Forest is the largest neighborhood in Houston with over 12,000 homes. 2. The area has gotten really hot the last few years and a lot of the homes that were torn down last year and replaced with new construction are being completed now and coming onto the market (which makes sense since this is the prime season for home sales).

Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I'd suggest a pick where one of you (assuming both working??) are close to the schools to allow for picking up sick kids or other emergencies and at least one of you being able to attend school plays, sports etc and also potentially drive them to various after school activities.

I'm thinking I'd rather suffer the commute from Memorial to Spring than Spring to Memorial for a number of reasons. Being able to work offset hours would help in either direction, say 7-4. Not such a bad commute at that time, at least from my limited experience driving it from Memorial.

You're budget would get you zoned to Stratford comfortably.
^^^ The best suggestion so far IMHO.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM

167 posts, read 331,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
^^^ The best suggestion so far IMHO.

From looking online, the reviews show that only Memorial Middle School and Memorial High School are good in the Memorial District. Why is Stratford rated poorly? Given that the patterns of feeding students in overlap, this doesn't make sense. Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston