Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 14,475 times

Advertisements

I bought 3 lots in the Fifth Ward this past December, and am looking to buy up as many adjacent lots as I can. I'd love to own the whole block, but that's a bit ambitions for me. Time will tell if it's a good investment or not.

I don't think the Fifth Ward is being redeveloped - that would imply restoration of existing buildings. It's mostly old, run down row houses that probably need to be condemned and demolished. I view the Fifth Ward is a prime area for development - new homes, new shops, stores, etc. There's very little there that I can see - historical or otherwise - worth salvaging. Its close proximity to downtown is soooo enticing . . .

Now, if I can just get people to quit dumping on my lots every time I clear them and the City to pick up the trash and tires like they say they will (but don't), I'd be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,844,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queso please View Post
I bought 3 lots in the Fifth Ward this past December, and am looking to buy up as many adjacent lots as I can. I'd love to own the whole block, but that's a bit ambitions for me. Time will tell if it's a good investment or not.

I don't think the Fifth Ward is being redeveloped - that would imply restoration of existing buildings. It's mostly old, run down row houses that probably need to be condemned and demolished. I view the Fifth Ward is a prime area for development - new homes, new shops, stores, etc. There's very little there that I can see - historical or otherwise - worth salvaging. Its close proximity to downtown is soooo enticing . . .

Now, if I can just get people to quit dumping on my lots every time I clear them and the City to pick up the trash and tires like they say they will (but don't), I'd be happy.
Actually, "redeveloped" pretty much means demolition of existing structures. You might be thinking of "rehabilitated" or "restored" or "revitalized."

Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 AM

10 posts, read 14,475 times
Thank you LocalPlanner - I did mean "restored." Unlike the Heights and its distinctive bungalows, most of the residences I've seen don't have the character or "good bones" worth saving. A shame really . . . I'd live in a little refurbished shotgun home any day over a townhome/condo.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
I just recently purchased a house in the Nickel that I will be renting just south of Lyons near the newly renovated De Luxe Theater. If you research who owns property in there on HCAD you'll see that the majority of the property is owned by developers. I found that Intown Homes and Urban living is buying up everything they can get their hands on.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:41 PM

34 posts, read 52,444 times
The location is prime, some areas aren't so terrible. Its primed for development especially as people will spill over from the Heights, it would be a long term 10 year deal but it is not crazy. However, its pretty much the most run down area overall, but the optimist or opportunist would consider that a buying opportunity, buy on the lows sell on the highs. The more west and south you can get the better. Remember the rail is running through there now as well. Obviously 3rd ward and 2nd are in a much better situation as the homes were larger and had much more character. If your looking its pretty much a tear down, or hold the fort till someone else tears down. But believe it or not 4th ward (ehemm Mid Town were just as bad in the the 90's). I remember over by Gray street where cyclones Etc is the Dope Boys used to run to your car when you stopped at a stop sign. Now look at it, so its not like it already hasn't been done. The location is just too good for it not to happen, the only caveat I would add is that if there is a prolonged energy down turn that 10 year could turn to 15. But keep in mind, a friend of my father's who is a real estate investor a duplex on Chenevert that was worth less than 100k in the 90's he sold it for 600k in 2006, the guy told him he could take anything he wanted off of it, they tore it torn and built a gated 8 town home property and sold them for 450k a piece. Not much downside with tremendous upside. Think of it as that incredibly talented player with attitude issues that can be got in the later rounds who has 1st round upside.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,538 times
There's 250 new townhomes being built between Waco and Lockwood north of I 10. South of I 10 is already being developed. I don't think it will take 10 years. I think you will see a substantial change in the next 3 years. Check out the link below.

New Homes For Sale in the Fifth Ward Houston

Old 09-13-2015, 01:04 AM

42 posts, read 100,556 times
Some good takes. My GF told me I was crazy that this area is a horrible investment. Reassured to see some of the comments here...

Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 2,634 times
Default kashmere gardens

Any opinions here about kashmere gardens?

Old 09-21-2016, 01:45 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,000,675 times
I'm very bullish on 5th Ward as a whole, but I can't see the potential of Kashmere Gardens. Not sure if in any of our lifetimes that area will change all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: