Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

We are Catholic and new to Houston looking for a church. We love gospel music and my wife would like to eventually join the choir. We haven't decided on an area yet where we'll live, for now staying with friends near reliant center. But we can drive to wherever. Any recommendations on churches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by family-new-to-houston View Post
We are Catholic and new to Houston looking for a church. We love gospel music and my wife would like to eventually join the choir. We haven't decided on an area yet where we'll live, for now staying with friends near reliant center. But we can drive to wherever. Any recommendations on churches?
There have been more than a few posts like this over the years that just lead to the same old responses, and this is no different. 'We love gospel music... and join the choir'? This is what I mean, nobody cares. Houston is multicultural, many bi-racial residents, etc., no one is going to notice you anywhere.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I find it hard to believe that the most important thing about a church is "acceptance of biracial couples".
What about their core values?
their beliefs?
size of church?
distance from your house?
is the pastor an ex-con?
is the pastor gay?
do they speak in tongues?
do they have good daycare for children?
do they have activities for kids from Mon-Sat?
do they have vacation Bible school?
do they have summer camp?
are they a financially responsible church?
do they force people to tithe?
do they help the poor?
do they read the Bible?

But if "acceptance of biracial couples" is #1 ... my guess is that at least 25% of couples in Catholic churches are biracial.
and that's assuming that "hispanics" is a race, even though hispanics come in all colors and shapes

Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I find it hard to believe that the most important thing about a church is "acceptance of biracial couples".
What about their core values?
their beliefs?
size of church?
distance from your house?
is the pastor an ex-con?
is the pastor gay?
do they speak in tongues?
do they have good daycare for children?
do they have activities for kids from Mon-Sat?
do they have vacation Bible school?
do they have summer camp?
are they a financially responsible church?
do they force people to tithe?
do they help the poor?
do they read the Bible?

But if "acceptance of biracial couples" is #1 ... my guess is that at least 25% of couples in Catholic churches are biracial.
and that's assuming that "hispanics" is a race, even though hispanics come in all colors and shapes
I really hope one day that also won't matter.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I really hope one day that also won't matter.
True,
but that is a touchy issue among religious people (all religions) and has split many churches.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM

64 posts, read 135,025 times
St. Anne on Westheimer has a very nice choir that sings in the 11am mass, but it is not a gospel choir. I think St. Albert of Trapani has a gospel choir but it is further away.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:47 AM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
yea its always amazing to me people post about looking for indian,Hispanic, whatever areas of town but I get my post deleted asking about white parts of town.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM

69 posts, read 127,841 times
google churches in houston and check out their sites and visit the church. its really hard to say one thing or another about a church's demographic. if the core is focused on your love for God...it shouldnt matter. but i guess thats the rode we dont want to take in the post lol yikes..ok...

happy looking! you'll find the right place for your family soon. just do some browsing!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
yea its always amazing to me people post about looking for indian,Hispanic, whatever areas of town but I get my post deleted asking about white parts of town.
Every time somebody asked that question I tried to help them.

Whatever makes you happy, and if I don't like it, even better,
You are happy with "your people" and I'm happy "Away from your people".

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,414 times
Wow. I guess when I said we were biracial, I meant it doesn't matter to me if the church s white or black or whatever.

I'm really just looking for a good gospel choir for my wife to join. Sorry I've offended so many people. I didn't realize Houston would be so uptight about the question because we've heard such great things about it being such an integrated city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston