Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 AM

130 posts, read 163,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Chronicle has an article that can help you find your dream town! Good luck!

Questionnaire reveals Texas havens for Republicans, Democrats - Houston Chronicle
My dream town is New Braunfels but I won't ever find a paying job there! Most Texas democrats seem to be that way because they are black or Mexican, most of the liberal towns are on the border and the democratic percentage of each city corresponds to the minority share. Outside of this website which is inhabited by urbanist college educated single iPod and Skinny jeans types, I would say the majority of democrats in Texas vote that way because of minority status, and not because they are progressive ninnies...thank God that Texas has confined its *******s to central Austin, Oak Lawn Dallas, and Inner Loop Houston.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
Try looking just outside the 610 loop in the neighborhood of Garden Oaks, you should be able to get a house there that is zoned to Garden Oaks elementary for 300k, but there aren't many so little patience goes along way. Stevens elementary seems to be changing for the better too, its the zone right beside Garden Oaks.
Also the area South of the loop, called Willowbend and then a few neighborhoods even further down 90/main. The schools are not what you are looking for(except Red elementary) but neighborhoods are nice and you can always do what many people in Houston do which is magnet, charter or private.
Both those areas above are 35-50% white with the rest being a spilt between Hispanic, black and occasionally Asian. But I have found that most of that comes from the apartments that are always around in Houston.
Its about as close to the DT as you can get for that budget and still be a nicer neighborhood.

I like to use the City Data Houston Demographics map. Its from 2010 but you can click on each area and it will show you a race, income and single family vs multi family break down of the area.

Me and husband are buying a house and want the exact same thing, we even have the same budget. Don't worry about posters who troll... apparently its okay for Asian or Indian cultures to want to live each other but not okay for a white family to not want to be zoned to a school that is 97% Hispanic and 90% low income and stick out on their block. If you want anymore detailed info please feel free to send me a PM.
Thank you very much! It is very nice to get a dose of normalcy on this website. I use a tool called the demographic dot map and it is very useful, but streets/areas aren't labeled and I am not familiar enough with H-Town to discern where is what.

What I have always done for most current demographics is check the demographics of the zoned schools which are usually updated yearly and paint a more accurate picture of community composition.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
My dream town is New Braunfels but I won't ever find a paying job there! Most Texas democrats seem to be that way because they are black or Mexican, most of the liberal towns are on the border and the democratic percentage of each city corresponds to the minority share. Outside of this website which is inhabited by urbanist college educated single iPod and Skinny jeans types, I would say the majority of democrats in Texas vote that way because of minority status, and not because they are progressive ninnies...thank God that Texas has confined its *******s to central Austin, Oak Lawn Dallas, and Inner Loop Houston.
I couldn't agree less! Good luck in your search!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:02 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Let's start by what we don't want:
Crime
Lots of young singles/non-families
"Multiculturalism/Cultural Diversity"
A neighborhood where a large chunk of our neighbors/local retailers aren't English speakers

Tons of noise
Honestly, Houston may not be a good fit for you. This kind of segregation is much more likely to be found in the Northeast or Midwest. Houston is as diverse as any city in the country, bar none, and it is as happily integrated of a city as you will find anywhere in the world. The interesting thing is that everyone appears to get along pretty well here, and whatever attractions there ever were to segregation and animosity based on your heritage is pretty close to forgotten here.

If you want a basis for segregation here, that will be based on your wealth. So there are certain neighborhoods where you have to be pretty wealthy to afford housing there. But skin color is not a factor in determining your eligibility for that and it does not sound like you have the money to go that route anyway.

I would suggest that you try to change your attitude, or look elsewhere for a new home. I am not saying that to be mean, just letting you know the truth about Houston, Texas.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Honestly, Houston may not be a good fit for you. This kind of segregation is much more likely to be found in the Northeast or Midwest. Houston is as diverse as any city in the country, bar none, and it is as happily integrated of a city as you will find anywhere in the world. The interesting thing is that everyone appears to get along pretty well here, and whatever attractions there ever were to segregation and animosity based on your heritage is pretty close to forgotten here.

If you want a basis for segregation here, that will be based on your wealth. So there are certain neighborhoods where you have to be pretty wealthy to afford housing there. But skin color is not a factor in determining your eligibility for that and it does not sound like you have the money to go that route anyway.

I would suggest that you try to change your attitude, or look elsewhere for a new home. I am not saying that to be mean, just letting you know the truth about Houston, Texas.
How many times do I have to reiterate that idc about skin color? However I do care about not being the only American, English speaker. I have been in situations when I lived on the wrong side of San Angelo where nobody could speak English, at least well. I kind of have already gotten my answers and the demographic dot map tells a different story than your multicultural diversity utopia shtick. There seem to be highly defined corridors of ethnicity and the blotches on the white corridor seem to correspond to apartment complexes. You needn't lecture me on my attitude...and trust me there are 10 million places I would rather be than Houston but I have a job, and that necessitates me moving there.

Again, Kingwood and Clear Lake seem like they will fit my family well.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:12 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Follow the highways, west/northwest/north/northeast as far as your constraints will allow. In ten years you'll be in the thick of the city... the big one.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
How many times do I have to reiterate that idc about skin color? However I do care about not being the only American, English speaker. I have been in situations when I lived on the wrong side of San Angelo where nobody could speak English, at least well. I kind of have already gotten my answers and the demographic dot map tells a different story than your multicultural diversity utopia shtick. There seem to be highly defined corridors of ethnicity and the blotches on the white corridor seem to correspond to apartment complexes. You needn't lecture me on my attitude...and trust me there are 10 million places I would rather be than Houston but I have a job, and that necessitates me moving there.

Again, Kingwood and Clear Lake seem like they will fit my family well.
Kingwood and Clear Lake are what I was thinking too.

However, just be aware, there are more Hispanics in Houston than any other ethnic group, including Northern European "whites". Restaurants are frequently staffed by people who do not speak much English. Busboys and kitchen staff routinely speak no English, and do not appear to be much interested in learning any. You will also find this in Clear Lake City for sure and very probably in Kingwood as well.

I am not kidding and I am not exaggerating. Houston is a truly multi-cultural environment now, with Spanish speakers being one of the primary two cultures. These are not the only two at all, as there are substantial numbers of Arabs, Persians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Indians, European immigrants, and Africans as well.

In fact, it would be interesting to see a disciplined, formal study done on this, as Houston may truly be THE most diverse and well integrated city on Earth right now. Certainly New York City would be another candidate in the US, but I do not think there are any others that really pose a challenge to Houston and New York. And as the US is the melting pot of the world, there are really no other countries that rival the US in terms of their broad diversity of people.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:

Houston is actually very segregated. Blacks, Hispanics, and whites generally lived in their own neighborhoods. Yes, there is cross but most if not all neighborhoods, there is always one majority ethic group.

Even inside the loop, the blocks are heavily segregated with the haves and the have nots (and whites generally occupied the haves).

So believe what you want to believe.

If you don't believe me, found me the 40% hispanics neighborhood in Katy or Woodlands? Will I be seeing 15% blacks in West U?

You people are so delusional.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
Quote:
Thank you very much! It is very nice to get a dose of normalcy on this website. I use a tool called the demographic dot map and it is very useful, but streets/areas aren't labeled and I am not familiar enough with H-Town to discern where is what.

What I have always done for most current demographics is check the demographics of the zoned schools which are usually updated yearly and paint a more accurate picture of community composition.
You have to watch that though, since so many around here do not send their kids to their zoned schools it isn't a good indication all the time.
Case in point. We have a friend who bought a 450k home in Cottage Grove, its an area along Washington/I10 inside the 610 loop. Tons of new construction, half a million dollar homes, basically all Caucasian or Indian.
The school it zoned too, Love? 90% hispanic, 4% white 2% black with 91% being economically disadvantaged.
Because it pulls from apartments and people who live there either dont have kids yet(like my friend and many others) or they send their kids elsewhere.

I always zoom in on the house listing to see the major streets around it and then pop over to demographics map find the general area and then locate those major streets.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Kingwood and Clear Lake are what I was thinking too.

However, just be aware, there are more Hispanics in Houston than any other ethnic group, including Northern European "whites". Restaurants are frequently staffed by people who do not speak much English. Busboys and kitchen staff routinely speak no English, and do not appear to be much interested in learning any. You will also find this in Clear Lake City for sure and very probably in Kingwood as well.

I am not kidding and I am not exaggerating. Houston is a truly multi-cultural environment now, with Spanish speakers being one of the primary two cultures. These are not the only two at all, as there are substantial numbers of Arabs, Persians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Indians, European immigrants, and Africans as well.

It would be interesting to see a disciplined, formal study done on this, as Houston may truly be THE most diverse and well integrated city on Earth right now. Certainly New York City would be another candidate in the US, but I do not think there are any others that really pose a challenge to Houston and New York. And as the US is the melting pot of the world, there are really no other countries that rival the US in terms of their broad diversity of people.
Mexican staffing restaurants is pretty much everywhere in the United States, bar the Upper Midwest and New England.

Most huge cities in America have non Hispanic Caucasians as a minority, I am more concerned with my neighbors speaking English/being American, and my kid going to school with children that aren't ESL. It's more a function of practicality than anything for me because, like I've said I've been in situations where I going to the grocery store or to the gas station and no one can speak my language. I am a family man, and outside of work, shopping, church, and taking my kid to do stuff like go to the park, I mostly stay in my neighborhood bubble. We aren't a family that "goes downtown" or to fancy restaurants whatever, we pretty much stay in our neighborhood so it doesn't matter if the rest of the city is Mogadishu, as long as my little bubble makes me comfortable.

I have no desire to move to Houston, but my job necessitates it. Hopefully I will be able to be self employed one day and move to the hill country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston