Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:22 PM

23,714 posts, read 14,826,704 times

Advertisements

IMO, John Stein is correct. For every person not paying their fair share, the rest are paying too much in order to subsidize them. We all hate the tax man, but have enabled this grossly unfair system to remain in place for as long as memory serves. Texas courts have ruled the system of school funding was awful, the lege said yeah we know, and then continued that system for the next 20 years.

if you think John Stein is a jerk for thinking about turning in his neighbor, tell it to Dan Patrick. TODAY.

It is time to put an end to the way we pay for public education.

Who would you turn in? Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,240,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStein View Post
Just as i expected.

Judge me however you want, but I believe the society will do better if everyone pays their share of contribution. I pay my full share of income and property tax, do not reap more than what I put in. As evil as it may sound, if your new neighbor drives a new BMW, have kids go to expensive private schools, and tells you how they enjoy all the welfare programs they qualify, ie EIC, foodstamps, medicare, etc. How would you feel?

Not trying to be Robin Hood. To me, cheating the system is like stealing from a supermarket, would you report if you see that happens? May not someone stealing from Walmart or Costco? But what if someone steals from your store? better yet, steal from your bank account?
Then report them to the programs that they are cheating...He has not broken any rules by doing a cosmetic remodel and not reporting it. If he has lied about his income to get tax refunds, foodstamps, medicare, etc - then report those.

He has not cheated the system by not reporting a remodel, in fact, it may be the only smart thing he does his whole life.

And for all you know, the reason the value of the house is low is b.c it has a huge problem, like it sits on a fault line, over a sink hole, has a terrible foundation, etc. A person is able to reduce the value of their home by showing its not worth what it is appraised for...that can and does include known problems.

Im all for everyone paying their fair share - but if appraised value caught up to market value like you want, so everyone pays their share, there would be alot of folks moving out b/c they cant afford their taxes anymore.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:44 PM

292 posts, read 543,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IMO, John Stein is correct. For every person not paying their fair share, the rest are paying too much in order to subsidize them. We all hate the tax man, but have enabled this grossly unfair system to remain in place for as long as memory serves. Texas courts have ruled the system of school funding was awful, the lege said yeah we know, and then continued that system for the next 20 years.

if you think John Stein is a jerk for thinking about turning in his neighbor, tell it to Dan Patrick. TODAY.

It is time to put an end to the way we pay for public education.

Who would you turn in? Anybody?
The problem here, is that the OP is drawing assumptions based on non correlating evidence. Does the OP know enough about the details of the remodel to assume that it requires a permit? If so he has not divulged that info. Does the OP know for sure that the work done to the home has made it increased much more value than the other homes in his neighborhood? Short of an independent appraisal being done on the house, the OP has no basis for such statement. In addition, whether the Neighbor in question drives a BMW, takes expensive vacations, and is on welfare or not has nothing to do with the actual original issue raise about their home's value. So unless the OP can provide concrete evidence of such things, making these accusations just make the OP look like a jerk..

I am all for everyone paying their fair share, but it seems like OP is not on good terms with his neighbor for what ever reason and is just trying to be an ass..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:45 PM

86 posts, read 115,789 times
Ok, may be i wasnt clear on the remodeling. I was a friend of the previous owner and had been inside the house more than few times. I even fed his dog when he was away. The guy lived there for over 50 years and nothing has been done to improve the property. The new neighbor bought the place, tore it down to the studs, opened up the floor plan, moved the kitchen, and added a master bath and in ground jacuzzi in the backyad. How do i know? Because the new neighbor invited us over and showed us his very modern house. He told us he didnt file a permit-- he'd risk the fine, which is small, than comply and have the tax increase.

HCAD still has the old description from like 50 years ago of 3bd 1ba, Cond / Desir / Util = average, grade adjustment = C+.

I understand it come across as an pretty ****ty thing to do do a neighbor. But I rather do something than to sit around and complain.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:49 PM

986 posts, read 1,259,533 times
One year, my in-laws protested their property taxes and got HCAD to lower their house value to $100. True story. It's no mansion, and it is outdated and old, but it's worth more than $100. How do you know his house isn't legitimately valued at the current amount?

But if you want to report it, seriously, just call HCAD. When they answer, ask them what you asked us. They should be able to tell you if anonymous reporting is an option.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:28 PM

804 posts, read 1,065,244 times
You wont use your name to report them? lol

Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,487,948 times
Quote:
Just as i expected.

Judge me however you want, but I believe the society will do better if everyone pays their share of contribution. I pay my full share of income and property tax, do not reap more than what I put in. As evil as it may sound, if your new neighbor drives a new BMW, have kids go to expensive private schools, and tells you how they enjoy all the welfare programs they qualify, ie EIC, foodstamps, medicare, etc. How would you feel?

Not trying to be Robin Hood. To me, cheating the system is like stealing from a supermarket, would you report if you see that happens? May not someone stealing from Walmart or Costco? But what if someone steals from your store? better yet, steal from your bank account?
You didn't say WHEN the remodeling had been done. The city updates appraisals only once a year. If remodeling is visible, it'll be caught. And for all you know, he's notified them, but the appraisal info hasn't been updated.

If that house is appraised for a fraction of the other houses, it must have been a fixer upper, and the appraisal district reps would know tht, and would be looking for a new appraisal after being fixed up.

EVEN SO, the problem I have with you reporting on him is that it doesn't benefit YOU at all, or ding you at all, either way. You would just be reporting on someone for the sake of reporting on someone.

Mind your own business. Karma. He'll get his just desserts, if he's trying to defraud the district. And you'll get yours if you butt your nose into others' business. You don't know what hell on earth is until you make an enemy of a neighbor, when you are both homeowners. It's not worth it.

Maybe you need something to occupy your time so that you're too busy to be snoopy.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:04 PM

292 posts, read 543,397 times
Quote:
Ok, may be i wasnt clear on the remodeling. I was a friend of the previous owner and had been inside the house more than few times. I even fed his dog when he was away. The guy lived there for over 50 years and nothing has been done to improve the property. The new neighbor bought the place, tore it down to the studs, opened up the floor plan, moved the kitchen, and added a master bath and in ground jacuzzi in the backyad. How do i know? Because the new neighbor invited us over and showed us his very modern house. He told us he didnt file a permit-- he'd risk the fine, which is small, than comply and have the tax increase.

HCAD still has the old description from like 50 years ago of 3bd 1ba, Cond / Desir / Util = average, grade adjustment = C+.

I understand it come across as an pretty ****ty thing to do do a neighbor. But I rather do something than to sit around and complain.

Your arguments just get worse and worse.

First off, what does HCAD have to do with him not having a permit for his remodel? That issue lies with the permit department of the city our county, not HCAD. If you want to report that, report it to the right department.

Secondly, your original post said that the house was appraised at $65k while all other homes are around $200k, if that's the case you should be thanking the guy for fixing a house that was pulling your neighborhood's value down.

Thirdly, HCAD's appraisals are based on exterior evaluations by their appraisers. They are only allowed to appraise from what they can see from the street. They are not allowed in your property. Like it or not, that's the way it is. If he did "tear it down to the studs" like you said, then it should be visible from the street and the HCAD appraisers will adjust the value accordingly. If it is not visible from the street, well, tough.

Also, what do you plan to tattle tell HCAD when you call them? That your neighbor remodeled? So what? People remodel all the time. Are you qualified to put a value on his remodel? Unless you are a licensed appraiser and have been hired by them to do so, YOU ARE NOT!

Finally, the fact that you asked to report anonymously says it all. The neighbor invites you over into his house and then you go an tattle tell on them? Why don't you give them a chance to do the right thing by telling to report it to the city/county/ or you will.

All I all, sounds like some bad blood between the two of you and you are just looking for ways to get him, but afraid to face him about it.

Also sounds like a case of envy comparing your house to the neighbor's " very modern house"

Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 PM

23,714 posts, read 14,826,704 times
Harris county engages in sales chasing. All HCAD knows is what a property sells for. Then the whole subdivision is at that price. Could be mold or gold inside. It makes no difference.

Commercial owners just go in and ask for the appraisal given to lowest evaluated in their category. Works like a charm. Through the years, their evaluation is less and less. residential continues to go up. The entire process is a sham.

One half of an entire city block on Crawford, across from the main entrance to the ballpark is the same assessed value as my little 1/6 acre in what everybody on this forum considers a terrible neighborhood in Spring. Something is bad wrong.

Y'all want to beat up a guy who is upset at what he sees as an injustice.

Looks to me like stomping pizzants while the elephants run wild.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,033 times
Quote:

Dud, karma is a b*tch. Ratting out your neighbor over property tax improvements is just lame. It is one thing you personally benefit from it. You get nothing here from this. Hack it will probably raise your tax since he is your neighbor.

I sure hope he don't found out it is you (very possible since he invite you in before) or you will be moving soon. This are the kind of things that will get your tire slash and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston