Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
Parkwest is part of Westbury and the sections east of Hillcroft typically go for more than Westbury. You have some going for over $500K now so I don't really think you'll get a better deal there.

I could be wrong, but I think they deed restrictions for Westbury and Parkwest are pretty much the same. I know they are enforced by the same civic club. The constable patrols the entirety of Westbury, it's just that the HOA dues are mandatory in Parkwest vs. voluntary in the rest of Westbury.
I am comparing the part of Westbury zoned to Parker elem to Parkwest. The part of Westbury not zoned to Parker is cheaper by far. you also get more square footage in Parkwest than the less expensive homes in Westbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but the numbers don't support that.

The median sales price in Parkwest 1 & 2 (not on a major street) this year is $383,000. The median sales price in Westbury 1,2,3,5 (not on a major street) this year is $308,000. You are correct that homes are typically bigger in Parkwest, but that's not where the deals are.

Now if you're OK with living on Willowbend or Hillcroft, you can get a decent deal in either of these neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but the numbers don't support that.

The median sales price in Parkwest 1 & 2 (not on a major street) this year is $383,000. The median sales price in Westbury 1,2,3,5 (not on a major street) this year is $308,000. You are correct that homes are typically bigger in Parkwest, but that's not where the deals are.

Now if you're OK with living on Willowbend or Hillcroft, you can get a decent deal in either of these neighborhoods.
What's the price per square foot? Are all the sections of Westbury listed zoned to Parker? Just curious...not arguing. Is all of Parkwest zoned to Parker?

We almost bought in Westbury and Parwest a few years ago, and the price per sq. ft was much cheaper then. We ended up buying in Meyerland.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
It's $166 in Parkwest vs. $162 in Westbury. Those aren't really meaningful comparisons though because the average home is nearly 20% larger in Parkwest and price/sqft typically drops as square footage goes up. I did pick the sections zoned to Parker so we could keep it consistent.

In the past, Westbury had a bit of a stigma as a declining neighborhood, mainly because of the High School in my opinion. The elementary schools aside from Parker are also pretty substandard. Some areas did get a bit blighted though. Parkwest had the benefit of having a completely different name so most people weren't even aware that they were part of the same organization. Just drive through Parkwest by the elementary school then cross over Atwell into Westbury. There is a difference in how the homes are kept up. That's changing a bit now because a lot of investors have bought up the dilapidated homes but it's still noticeable.

In either case, it sounds like you made a good decision.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It's $166 in Parkwest vs. $162 in Westbury. Those aren't really meaningful comparisons though because the average home is nearly 20% larger in Parkwest and price/sqft typically drops as square footage goes up. I did pick the sections zoned to Parker so we could keep it consistent.

In the past, Westbury had a bit of a stigma as a declining neighborhood, mainly because of the High School in my opinion. The elementary schools aside from Parker are also pretty substandard. Some areas did get a bit blighted though. Parkwest had the benefit of having a completely different name so most people weren't even aware that they were part of the same organization. Just drive through Parkwest by the elementary school then cross over Atwell into Westbury. There is a difference in how the homes are kept up. That's changing a bit now because a lot of investors have bought up the dilapidated homes but it's still noticeable.

In either case, it sounds like you made a good decision.
Thanks for the update. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: