Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times

Advertisements

I hear from some people that if you drink the tap water in Houston, you're taking a risk. I drink it and it tastes normal to me. Does anyone know if theres truth to this. I heard that Houston's water actually comes from a lake in San Antonio, not the nearby gulf. Can anyone confirm this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
The majority of the City of Houston's water and the folks it sells water to including Pasadena, Galveston, and numerous MUDs and municipalities comes from the Trinity River. Lake Houston is the back-up/supplemental source. Houston also has water rights for Lake Conroe, and the Brazos River. The quality of the water is actually pretty good. You can view yearly water quality reports at this website: City of Houston -- Public Works and Engineering -- Public Utilities Division -- Water Production (http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/utilities/waterprod.htm - broken link)
You can also go to the next link to check inspection and water quality reports conducted by the TCEQ: Search the Water Utility Database (WUD)

Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
No. Houston takes great pride in the quality of the water here. Our drinking water comes from both surface and underground, here in Harris County, depending on the part of town in which you reside. Houston's tap water is rated "Superior", which is great! It's got a clear color and tastes great. I use a Brita filter pitcher just to get any extra chlorine out, but otherwise, it's pretty doggone good!

City of Houston -- Public Works and Engineering -- Public Utilities Division -- Water Production (http://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/utilities/waterprod.htm - broken link)

Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
man, I am jinxin' all over the place LOL!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
I believe Houston's water is Fluoridated. Many public water utilities in the US do Fluoridate, however it is banned in most European countries (Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands) as well as China and Japan. The type of fluoride (calcium) that is naturally found in H20, is replaced with a cheaper more toxic variety that is made from industrial byproduct. IMO, there's really no good reason to fluoridate water other than to subsidize the chemical industry and give them a place to dump their byproducts.

Fluoride's 'good' for you!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,172 times
my tap water is limey. it leaves white crap all over the sink, granite, hardware, shower/tub. for some reason it leaves some white crap on the fridge's filtered tap water. you can also see some watered soils turn limey white. we dont drink straight from the tap. we use the brita pitcher for cooking and drinking water. I have yet to add filter systems

Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
I'm sure the water is fine. I drink it through the fridge that has a filter on the bottom. Takes out the funky chorlinated taste. The water is very hard, though. Over time it can clog up your shower heads and degrade dishwasher performance. In lieu of a water softener, a little CLR in the right places will clean it right up.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Montgomery County had the funkiest tasting water and made Harris County's lime problem look like child's play.

I think the water tastes ok, I still prefer bottled to drink.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,799 times
Flouride in water is not "toxic." Its benefits greatly outweigh any perceived or falsified negatives.

There is a reason that people from areas with flouridated water have remarkably better dental health than those from non flouridated areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Montgomery County had the funkiest tasting water and made Harris County's lime problem look like child's play.

This might be a well-water thing. I remember this exact issue in Brazos county. Water there was very soft, too. My Brita was a must.

As for the fluoride thing, it's more of a ''Big Brother knows best'' idea that irks people. It makes some folks think the government is trying to engineer their population to an extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston