Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 18,454 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to check in with those in that area - husband and I are looking to sell our house in Westchase soon and although we'd prefer staying in our existing area and even considered Meyerland (took hubby to the area last weekend and he just plain didn't like it) we also realize that for our money, we can get something bigger in a suburb. He is an IT consultant who works anywhere between downtown and the Heights and I work in the Med Center. A good friend of mine just bought in Walden at Lake Houston, and so I started looking in that area as well.

I've looked in the archives and it seems most people love the area, so I just wanted to get some current opinions on them. Are the commutes still around an hour to/from the Med Center? Our budget is in the $300's and we basically are looking for a place that we can start a family and be for a good long while.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 PM

71 posts, read 101,261 times
I have family that live in the area.

Walden on Lake Houston is on West Lake Houston Parkway, which is a rapidly developing. I think the area is going to increase in value with all of the nice homes they are building. Walden is an older neighborhood, but I love it. The homes are all different and not cookie cutter. It has lots of trees and was originally designed to be an all custom home community. Walden IMO is not very kid friendly, and is more of an adult/quiet community. Their are no sidewalks, one playground and no recreation center really.

Summerwood is great, the homes are nice and their are lots of family's that live there. Eagle Springs and Summerwood have the same developer. I find Eagle Springs to be a very family oriented community, and it's very beautiful with lots of trees and pocket parks/playgrounds. They also have lots of family activities. Eagle Springs is on Will Clayton though, and I prefer West Lake Houston personally.

I've also heard Lakeshore is very family friendly and has lots of activities going on. I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods along West Lake Houston Parkway (Water's Edge, Bridges of West Lake Houston, The Groves, Lake Houston Pines, Still Water on Lake Houston) but I believe they are also incorporating family friendly areas/activities into their development plans as they proceed.

The commute without traffic is about 40m from Walden to the Medical Center. I reference Walden because it's the furthest neighborhood along W. Lake Houston before getting to 1960. If you live closer (such as in Summerwood) it will be about 30m. As the other neighborhoods develop along W. Lake Houston Parkway, I anticipate the traffic becoming dreadful.

With your budget you can definitely find a nice home in the area, though the prices seem to be increasing.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:31 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
Eagle Springs and Walden are zoned to Atascocita High while Summerwood is zoned to Summer Creek High. Some say Atascocita is higher performing academically. You may think high school is a long way off but it is an important factor that might affect resale.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM

189 posts, read 417,928 times
Summerwood or Fall Creek will cut down on your commute, since they are right on BW8. You need to look at the schools. I can't sugar coat it. Someones kids have to go to school with the kids from the poorer parts of older Humble. That doesn't mean they're bad people, but it does turn some people off. I don't have kids, so I don't know the specifics.

Some say crime is worse in Summerwood, due to the quick getway that the BW offers.

I lived in Summerwood and we liked it, but we found ourselves driving back and forth to the 1960 area for a lots of things (shopping, groceries, restaurants).

We're in Eagle Springs now and prefer it, although it adds 10 minutes to my commute each way.

There's maybe 15 houses in the Groves. If you don't mind living in a construction zone, you could look at it. It's closer to WLH and BW8, while still close to 1960 area. There is a train track that runs right by it. Might not be a big deal. It's hidden with trees, but might be noisy.

Overall, it's a great area. We're at least 40 feet above sea level, so we should be OK with a major storm. Yes - probably no power but at least we're not spending 20 hours in the car just to get to Conroe.

You would have a lot of options with a 300k budget.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 AM

Thanks, I've been comparing my commute to our current home to the commute times to the Humble area and right now they are exactly the same - some days even LESS. We plan on checking out some this weekend - based on what was said here and what I've dug up, I'm leaning towards Eagle Spring and Summer Wood. May check out the Groves (I grew up in a small town that had train tracks literally run through it, lol).

Thanks y'all!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
I live in Eagle Springs and love it. I also really love The Groves as well. I was at a Realtor event there on Thursday, and they are having their grand opening this weekend. It's going to be a gorgeous neighborhood. I've been talking to the developer quite a bit about The Groves and their plans for it. They have already sold 41 home sites and the first resident just moved in there, and they are just now having their grand opening! They are very cognizant of the train, and are doing what they can to help eliminate the noise by leaving the trees intact to create a sound buffer.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area. I have been here for 10 years. I agree with everything that has been said already. I have written posts the are almost identical to bayou_boy! My husband works downtown, and I used to work in the medical center. This area, while growing and getting more people, still has some of the best commute times.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:22 AM

137 posts, read 216,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2006 View Post
I lived in Summerwood and we liked it, but we found ourselves driving back and forth to the 1960 area for a lots of things (shopping, groceries, restaurants).
This should help address the shopping situation in SummerWood

http://www.frpltd.com/Properties/Pro...e_SitePlan.pdf

http://www.frpltd.com/Properties/Pro...lace_Flier.pdf

Fidelis Realty Partners: Westlake Marketplace

Plus there is a HEB in the neighborhood.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 AM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
I've lived in Atascocita for a little over 2 years and we love it here. We're building in New Caney in the new Tavola community, but we will still find ourselves in this area for dining and shopping for sure. Would recommend this place to anyone, great community, good schools, lots of shopping and good eats!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I live in Eagle Springs and love it. I also really love The Groves as well. I was at a Realtor event there on Thursday, and they are having their grand opening this weekend. It's going to be a gorgeous neighborhood. I've been talking to the developer quite a bit about The Groves and their plans for it. They have already sold 41 home sites and the first resident just moved in there, and they are just now having their grand opening! They are very cognizant of the train, and are doing what they can to help eliminate the noise by leaving the trees intact to create a sound buffer.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area. I have been here for 10 years. I agree with everything that has been said already. I have written posts the are almost identical to bayou_boy! My husband works downtown, and I used to work in the medical center. This area, while growing and getting more people, still has some of the best commute times.
We actually are just getting back from The Groves grand opening! It was awesome and hubby is in love with the Highland Homes model. We're looking at a few other existing homes and debating what would be the best route for us.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:34 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSouffle View Post
We actually are just getting back from The Groves grand opening! It was awesome and hubby is in love with the Highland Homes model. We're looking at a few other existing homes and debating what would be the best route for us.
That's great! I was through for a little while today. Looked like a pretty good turn out.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. I've helped a couple of members from this boards purchase houses here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston