Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 102,381 times

Advertisements

Pulte as a builder is a step higher in quality than KB Homes, and Pulte knows that a buyer comparing KB vs.
Pulte, 9 times out ten will choose Pulte. :-). I own a couple Pulte rental homes and my parents live in a Pulte home. They are a good builder, given their price point.

People buy what they can afford regardless of the naysayers.. Your house will sell down the road, KB or not.. simply supply and demand..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
I'm opening this thread up again because we are curious too. Pulte homes are being right next to this neighborhood. Every home builder says they would not build with other builders if they were junk - they try to bid in areas of same value. So if KB is junk then why did Pulte agree to sell right next to them (and share an entrance) and even more so, WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THEIR HOMES IF THEY ARE JUNK?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM

388 posts, read 686,369 times
They have an equal number of lots and have for the last year or so.
Agreed that it will sell regardless.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
The electrical issues were just one of a laundry list of problems with his new KB home - just the most startling one. But let's just say that he did do something stupid and KB was not at fault. Let's say all of the complaints against KB are unfounded. You must consider the fact that if you purchase one of their homes, your investment in a KB home will suffer due to their bad reputation. A close relative just purchased a home in Katy this year. They looked at many homes, new and used. When the agent wanted to take them to look at new KB homes in Katy, they rejected the idea, based on what they had heard. Why would you take that chance? What happens when you decide to sell and you are met with the same negativity from potential buyers? I would steer clear. Go with a quality builder like Perry or Weekly and protect your investment. JMO.
Have you bought a KB home?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM

We took some advice from this post/site and went to a neighborhood to ask how homeowners felt about KB. They were more than happy to speak to us. They lived in the house about 8 mo and have been happy and didn't have any issues. They did express about how they read reviews about KB and asked their sales consultant. Their consultant acknowledged KB has had some horrible history but said for the past 2 years they are working hard at revamping their image, construction and customer service. They said their sales consultant was top knotch and had no complaints. We met him and can see why. He is very knowledgeable and helpful and more than willing to find incentives and extras.

Their house was pretty. I asked if thy would buy again and they said absolutely. This was in the Houston area.

So that's a plus.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:00 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
The negative of KB in my past experience is looking at the exclusive KB neighborhoods a few years after the development is complete. A lot of homes not taken care of, crappy lawns and landscapes, tin foil on windows...etc.

So it is good to hear they are revamping their image and focusing on quality and customer service.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
The negative of KB in my past experience is looking at the exclusive KB neighborhoods a few years after the development is complete. A lot of homes not taken care of, crappy lawns and landscapes, tin foil on windows...etc.

So it is good to hear they are revamping their image and focusing on quality and customer service.
That would be the HOA or management company, not the builder.
This neighborhood (and another we looked at but DID NOT speak to homeowners) have been there 2-3 years. Everything looked nice but they are still building...

Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM

170 posts, read 193,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Have you bought a KB home?
No and I would not.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana K View Post
No and I would not.
For me personally, your opinion doesn't do much, since you are not a current KB homeowner. However, I'm sure others who skim this thread might find another opinion useful in their search.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I am bumping up this old thread because I want to know about Katy High school and Anserra community. I understand that lot of people have nothing positive to say about KB homes but how come these homes are in $300k range when it is a KB home? I thought they were budget builders. So if any one who is familiar with this area can chime in it would be great. I need to know if Katy high school is similar to Katy schools north of I-10? I know its not like Tomkins or Seven Lakes but how does it compare? Also, is there a way to enter the community from the back or 1463 or I-10 and making U turn is only option if you are heading from Houston?
I did some research after posting this. Back in Jan I nearly got into contract with almost a brand new KB home which was foreclosed earlier.....The neighborhood was great still being built. I wasn't sure why there was foreclosure especially since the close by homes were selling for a much higher price....

I think the problem is not as such with KB homes itself but with KB home neighborhoods in the long run because of their low prices and the negative connotation associated with their brand name. I have been to few older KB home communities in San Antonio and Katy/Richmond area (few family members own KB homes). While the homeowners were happy with their purchase, the older neighborhoods were somewhat crowded and congested with too many cars in the drive way and across the streets. Now one might say it is not related to the builder. But the price entry point decides what type of people move in the community and how many people are living in a home and what sort of home owners are part of HOA etc. Some of the things arent noticeable in newer communities. Therefore it is important to visit an older 8-10 yr old community and see how it looks. Run some stats on foreclosures, short sales, etc in those neighborhoods and make an informed decision.

I would personally buy a KB home in a neighborhood if all the homes on the street were a mix and match with other recognizable builders. If the whole block consists of KB homes with different prices then I would avoid that block. Also some people are trying to buy home as short term investment so to them it doesn't matter what happens in long term because this might be a starter home for them. Finally, in my opinion used home buyers don't really care about the builder. To them there are other factors involved. Most of the used homes I have bought even owners didn't know who was the original builder of the property. Perhaps because they were the second or third owner themselves...After a while its the neighborhood comps which matter in a community and not the builder as such...

Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM

64 posts, read 102,381 times
Folks must also consider the time frame of reference when speaking on the condition of KB neighborhoods,
many entry level builders who built homes back in the early 2000 housing boom when credit was easy, sold homes to people who a few yrs later foreclosed and/or could no longer afford the up keep of the home. The folks that purchase homes today in 2017 are a much different profile of those that bought back in the early 2000's. And I feel that KB is currently building some nice neighborhoods in the 200 - 300k price range all over Greater Houston and those people in these new neighborhoods will take care of their properties much better than in times past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston