Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston more urban than you thought?
Yes 21 45.65%
No 16 34.78%
The urban fabric is about what I was expecting. 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My issue also is I really hope they will one day address the sidewalks. They are narrow in most of the city inside and outside the loop(s). Some of the neighborhoods don't have sidewalks at all. Pedestrians do not really care to compete with cars flying by at 20-30 mph which is the average speed through a residential neighborhood.
I recently saw something on Facebook about how sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner in Houston. Is this common? I'd be worried about getting ripped off by contractors since it's not something a homeowner could easily obtain information regarding best practices, etc.

I just did a quick google search, and this News 2 Houston article seems rather helpful:

Wait list huge for Houston sidewalk repair program | News - Home

"City of Houston ordinances say property owners are responsible for sidewalks that border their property."

"Public Works plans to ask the City Council to approve a program that take away the headache and hassle for property owners.

The plan calls for the city to get bids from contractors, who would set a price for sidewalk repairs and replacement.

Homeowners would apply for the work to get done on their property and pay for it. The work would be coordinated by the city and residents may get a discount due to the volume of work the contractor is receiving.

The City Council has not yet approved the project."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Thats hilarious. I was in Houston for a convention and everyone was looking at me like I said a third eye because I was walking everywhere, Houston def a very car centric culture more than any other big city I ever been to even except for LA. Even LA has more walkable areas than Houston thou.

The uptown area is very walkable as is the Bering/Woodway area. Lot of walkers and runners all day there. I walk all the way from uptown as far as Voss.

And I never even knew there was an area called Uptown park blvd, and I found out by walking. Looks like a super rich enclave.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To your first post, I agree. I have said repeatedly, the name of the game in the inner loop will be density. Everything that is built from a residential and office standpoint will make that an emphasis. It is following the mold of Los Angeles. Houston is where LA was in the 50s. If the leaders and old time residents think they can still get by with the system they have now, they will deserve they future they will get which will be stressful and running around trying to address the mass transit in the city. The reimagined bus system starting in August is a great start for the city. But as the density increases in the loop (it's should be over 5000 ppsm now), rapid transit systems will need to happen that is what Houston currently does not have. They do not have a rapid transit mass public transit system.
Only 5,000? You can double or triple that and still be suburban in other places in the US, increase it 6+ fold for urban parts of the world. You should probably look at the density of the desirable 40-45% or so of the inner loop. And that probably still doesn't reach Sharpstown's, which still doesn't have that kind of terrible traffic. If there is no longer a drive time advantage to living in town, yet the population density is still relatively low, it sounds like a much more complicated issue that an inner-loop rail line or three will not fully solve.

As for sidewalks, I technically live in the city of Houston (Clear Lake) and yes, we are responsible for fixing our own sidewalks. The HOAs enforce it. In both neighborhoods I've lived in, the neighbors got together to split up a group rate.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 17,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I recently saw something on Facebook about how sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner in Houston. Is this common? I'd be worried about getting ripped off by contractors since it's not something a homeowner could easily obtain information regarding best practices, etc.
Yes and no; on the books, it's the "community's responsibility", but it really does depend on where you live. The situation in Katy isn't at all indicative of what you'll find in Montrose.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
It seems as though most responders on here are defining "walkability" by using a literal definition of how easy (or not easy) it is for people to cover large geographic distances on foot. Presence and maintenance of sidewalks; foot and bike trails etc.

However, when I think of "walkability" as it pertains to an urban location, I think of how much of a mix there is in a neighborhood or area of residential versus retail. Neighborhoods where it is easy to walk out your front door and walk to restaurants, bars, the grocery store etc. In that regard, the only places that come immediately to mind in Houston are Montrose and the Heights. I am admittedly not familiar with Uptown. Conversely, I can think of a dozen or more areas of Denver that fit that description, even though Denver is a significantly smaller MSA than Houston. Same thing with Portland, Seattle, Chicago etc. If that is the definition of walkability, then Houston has a long, long way to go.

Example: we had brunch at Brennan's on Smith last weekend when I was in town house hunting. I had not been there in about 12 years, and the first thing I noticed about the surrounding neighborhood was that it looked almost exactly the same as it did the last time I was there. If that is an area of ITL Houston that has supposedly gotten more "urban", I sure didn't see it. Did I miss it? Where are the other areas close to downtown where that has supposedly happened? Washington corridor maybe?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
It seems as though most responders on here are defining "walkability" by using a literal definition of how easy (or not easy) it is for people to cover large geographic distances on foot. Presence and maintenance of sidewalks; foot and bike trails etc.

However, when I think of "walkability" as it pertains to an urban location, I think of how much of a mix there is in a neighborhood or area of residential versus retail. Neighborhoods where it is easy to walk out your front door and walk to restaurants, bars, the grocery store etc. In that regard, the only places that come immediately to mind in Houston are Montrose and the Heights. I am admittedly not familiar with Uptown. Conversely, I can think of a dozen or more areas of Denver that fit that description, even though Denver is a significantly smaller MSA than Houston. Same thing with Portland, Seattle, Chicago etc. If that is the definition of walkability, then Houston has a long, long way to go.

Example: we had brunch at Brennan's on Smith last weekend when I was in town house hunting. I had not been there in about 12 years, and the first thing I noticed about the surrounding neighborhood was that it looked almost exactly the same as it did the last time I was there. If that is an area of ITL Houston that has supposedly gotten more "urban", I sure didn't see it. Did I miss it? Where are the other areas close to downtown where that has supposedly happened? Washington corridor maybe?
Yes I could have gone deeper into that as you did. But I was in a rush. They go hand and hand though.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Only 5,000? You can double or triple that and still be suburban in other places in the US, increase it 6+ fold for urban parts of the world. You should probably look at the density of the desirable 40-45% or so of the inner loop. And that probably still doesn't reach Sharpstown's, which still doesn't have that kind of terrible traffic. If there is no longer a drive time advantage to living in town, yet the population density is still relatively low, it sounds like a much more complicated issue that an inner-loop rail line or three will not fully solve.

As for sidewalks, I technically live in the city of Houston (Clear Lake) and yes, we are responsible for fixing our own sidewalks. The HOAs enforce it. In both neighborhoods I've lived in, the neighbors got together to split up a group rate.
Yeah I agree. But 5,000 for a sunbelt Southern city is actually high and that's sad if you prefer a dense and urban environment.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
I hate to say it, but at this point I do see mass transportation (not bus) is a necessary option for certain parts of Houston for future growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
On the brighter side, just think one day Downtown will be connected via high rises through Midtown, Museum Park, all the way down to the Museum district, and at the same time will be connected with allen parkway and the buildings along 59/richmond all the way to the Galleria. In between these corridors, there will be dozens upon dozens of other high rises infilling in Greenway, Upper Kirby, Montrose and Rice Military where their confluence will be most dense around West Alabama@Kirby. It's going to be beautiful to see and likely solidify us as the most dominant skyline in Texas.
This would allow those areas to continue growth with logical planning. Imagine if the a new line coming from the west side connect to the existing Red Line. And another line coming from South or SW.

Of course, this will probably never happen.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Thats hilarious. I was in Houston for a convention and everyone was looking at me like I said a third eye because I was walking everywhere, Houston def a very car centric culture more than any other big city I ever been to even except for LA. Even LA has more walkable areas than Houston thou.
LA is way more walkable than Houston and it isn't even close. Both may be car centric, but LA has a lot of that prewar fabric built into the urban landscape (storefronts to the street, sidewalks, etc.). LA is what Houston could be with better planning, increased density, and less parking spot requirements. People love their cars in LA, but they will keep it in the garage/spot and walk down to the dispensary, or grocery store, or restaurant, etc. Part of the reason why people keep their car parked in favor of walking is because of the traffic, not enough parking spots, and sometimes just walking feels better. You'll never know what or who you'll run into. Not to mention the weather makes it easy.

Houston may get this way in parts of the West Loop and also in parts of west Houston.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
LA is way more walkable than Houston and it isn't even close. Both may be car centric, but LA has a lot of that prewar fabric built into the urban landscape (storefronts to the street, sidewalks, etc.). LA is what Houston could be with better planning, increased density, and less parking spot requirements. People love their cars in LA, but they will keep it in the garage/spot and walk down to the dispensary, or grocery store, or restaurant, etc. Part of the reason why people keep their car parked in favor of walking is because of the traffic, not enough parking spots, and sometimes just walking feels better. You'll never know what or who you'll run into. Not to mention the weather makes it easy.

Houston may get this way in parts of the West Loop and also in parts of west Houston.
I have a cousin that live in LA his whole life. He was genuinely SHOCKED when i told him about the subway in Los Angeles. He never even know they existed! The only part you might be able to walk is in certain small communities, the rest is even more spawn out than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston