Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Every elected official in this state is aware that the system is wrong and/or illegal.

We keep electing people who are unwilling to fix it. Live with it.
Actually, the major hold up for getting property tax relief is with Joe Straus. The Senate is pushing for fixes while the House is focused on sales tax and ignoring property tax issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
I thought appraised value and resale valie are two different things. Yes? No?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:07 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, the major hold up for getting property tax relief is with Joe Straus. The Senate is pushing for fixes while the House is focused on sales tax and ignoring property tax issues.
The Governor and Joe Straus, vs the Senate.

Tax relief is one thing. How it is done is another. Reducing the rate won't change anything but the amount. What needs changing is the way they calculate it. Robinhood is BS. We may as well have a state school property tax since they dictate exactly how much schools can tax and what schools can do with the money in several different ways.

I prefer reduced property tax. We pay about the same in sales and property tax. People have control over what they spend, property tax, not so much.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:43 PM

55 posts, read 66,087 times
Hi y'all need some help on the property protest. We purchased a house in 2014 and pulled remodeling permits for $10,000. They have our sales price but appraised our house 125,000 (hello?) over our purchase price citing "time adjustment" and "new construction". Do you think that they should lower both market and appraisal to the sales price if I show our closing documents as evidence at the informal meeting with the appraiser?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkag View Post
Hi y'all need some help on the property protest. We purchased a house in 2014 and pulled remodeling permits for $10,000. They have our sales price but appraised our house 125,000 (hello?) over our purchase price citing "time adjustment" and "new construction". Do you think that they should lower both market and appraisal to the sales price if I show our closing documents as evidence at the informal meeting with the appraiser?
It won't be nearly that simple. You either need to learn more about how they calculated your value and what the rules are that they go by, or you need to engage someone to represent you in making your case to them.

Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe it is probably past the deadline for when you can file to protest this year.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkag View Post
Market is market, and it's set by the market. If the houses in your area support that market price, there is little you can do about it.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Market is market, and it's set by the market. If the houses in your area support that market price, there is little you can do about it.
However, the market price and the HCAD appraised price are not the same thing. You do have room to negotiate your appraised value based on whether it is "uniform and equal" with other similar properties in your area. It is a good way to effectively lower your HCAD appraised value in many cases.

Now, that being said, market values are a huge factor in all of that. But they are not the only factor. And HCAD does routinely get the "uniform and equal" component wrong.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
However, the market price and the HCAD appraised price are not the same thing. You do have room to negotiate your appraised value based on whether it is "uniform and equal" with other similar properties in your area. It is a good way to effectively lower your HCAD appraised value in many cases.

Now, that being said, market values are a huge factor in all of that. But they are not the only factor. And HCAD does routinely get the "uniform and equal" component wrong.
Correct, market value and appraisal value are not always the same on homestead properties due to the appraisal caps. However, the appraisal value is always seeking to equal market value. The fact that you may pay less than market value doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to reduce HCAD's market value for the property.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
I recently protested at the informal hearing and had a good outcome. I bought the Jubally packet for $69 because I didn't have the time to do all the research. That's where I got the comps. I brought photos of issues in our home. I also downloaded their evidence packet from iFile and did a compare and contrast with each respective property to my home. I printed out a PowerPoint that I made with photos of their comps and the differences between their comps and my house. I got photos of the inside of their comps homes from HAR sold section. They lowered my market below the appraised.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 AM

55 posts, read 66,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It won't be nearly that simple. You either need to learn more about how they calculated your value and what the rules are that they go by, or you need to engage someone to represent you in making your case to them.

Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe it is probably past the deadline for when you can file to protest this year.
Yep I downloaded their evidence packet. Our general area was noticed late this year (July) and we have 30 days after the notice date to file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston