Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,974 times

Advertisements

I've heard the same.

It really is amazing what Red has done with the socioeconomic group that makes up the school.

I have several friends that send their kids to Kolter and they have not been happy with the new principal. Just anecdotal but I was disappointed to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 PM

60 posts, read 69,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post
I've heard the same.

It really is amazing what Red has done with the socioeconomic group that makes up the school.

I have several friends that send their kids to Kolter and they have not been happy with the new principal. Just anecdotal but I was disappointed to hear it.
RED is not a "bad" school, like previous post, it doesn't have a good rep or not a desirable school bc of the demographics of students. More than half the kids going there come from nearby apts. BUT if you read other posts about red, you will learn that the STEM (science,technology,engineer,math) is the only type of program for science around the surrounding area. It also depends on what your child is interested in too & what the particular school offers as their magnet program.

If you can, can you elaborate a bit more on why your friends are not happy w/ the principal at kolter?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 PM

313 posts, read 282,483 times
Interesting about Red/Kolter. I have heard similar but the general take is that it's not enough to experiment with their kids and send them to Red yet. It's the same problem with Longfellow for being such a top-dollar area. Great neighborhood but for its neighborhood elementary. Shearn sounds just about hopeless.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,026 times
I think Red Elementary school is continuing to become a more attractive magnet school with the STEM program. Popular magnet schools like Mark Twain and Roberts are closing their doors to magnet applicants and West U is already closed to zoned students only. I'm not sure what's the magnet status for Horn Elementary.

Gradually, we are seeing more young parents with strollers and toddlers outside. They have the potential to be future students at Red. And it's a beautiful school.

Shern, not a chance. Longfellow, meh. Kolter, I didn't know about the new principal but I don't like foreign language, anyway. Parker and Lovett, if you like music.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM

On a sidenote but still related to Willow Meadows, anybody know about the Burlington store coming into Meyer Park area? For being such a desirable area, why is retail/restaurant so lacking? Randall's is Randall's and that Kroger is a zoo and don't even get me started on the Walgreens. Why hasn't the area attracted more and better business/restaurants? Ps- anybody else cringe driving that W. Bellfort/Post Oak intersection after dark? Love the fast food offerings but the vibe definitely changes at night.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,026 times
From my observation, many in the area dislike Walmart, the new McDonalds, and now the low-budget Burlington store. Although I don't eat at McDonalds, I'm surprisingly pleased with the new fast-food building to match with the Meyerland Plaza ambiance and they did not build a tall arch where backyard neighbors could have seen it. However, Burlington was a bad choice for an up-coming area and hope it will fail and close.

Our wish list:
Academy
Super HEB
Goode Co. BBQ
El Tiempo Cantina
Ruggles Green

Old 04-24-2015, 05:50 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Kolter is still great. Some people will always grumble when there is a change in leadership. It happens everytime, even in coveted schools in KATYISD that parents fight to get into.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Our wish list:
Academy
Super HEB
Goode Co. BBQ
El Tiempo Cantina
Ruggles Green
That's everyone's wish list. I've heard the HEB/Academy/Walmart relocating rumors for years. You'd think with that Fuddruckers coming in that it would inspire other fun, nice casual places to get in on the Meyer Park action. I've heard the same complaint from my buds in Westbury, they have even less options and it's turning into familyville over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston