Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 PM

57 posts, read 127,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Go the very first day of registration and get there at 5:00 a.m. (No, I am not joking.) the staff will start coming in around 6:00.

I have no idea what school Hook the Brother up attends. The only magnet schools I can think of with so many magnet seats are Pin Oak MS and Th Rogers. There is no boundary zone.
I'll call tomorrow to confirm this, but the first day of registration would generally be when the school reopens in August?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
call and find out tomorow what the first day you can register. Talk with the registrar and not some random person. I am serious about this. The front desk people may blow you off. IF it's kinder it might be very very soon, if it has not passed already.

If it's notkinder, it might be in early June, each campus is different. Also get a list of all the proof you need and bring it with you.

http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...gistration.pdf

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
As soon as you close on your house take the closing papers and other items immediately to the school and register your kids. Do not wait until the end of the summer. There are people working in the school office all year.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
8 years ago, when we toured at WUES, they were speaking like they only had about 10 slots available magnet students. That was easily squashed with 10 new families moving into the neighborhood. Now, as you can imagine, even local neighbors are now competing.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
call and find out tomorow what the first day you can register. Talk with the registrar and not some random person. I am serious about this. The front desk people may blow you off. IF it's kinder it might be very very soon, if it has not passed already.

If it's notkinder, it might be in early June, each campus is different. Also get a list of all the proof you need and bring it with you.

http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...gistration.pdf
Unfortunately, we won't have all of the proof we need until the first week of July, since we need residency to get the drivers license, utilities started, etc. :-( It isn't for kindergarten, btw, but for 3rd grade.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
8 years ago, when we toured at WUES, they were speaking like they only had about 10 slots available magnet students. That was easily squashed with 10 new families moving into the neighborhood. Now, as you can imagine, even local neighbors are now competing.
What do you mean by "even local neighbors are now competing?" Thanks!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
Unfortunately, we won't have all of the proof we need until the first week of July, since we need residency to get the drivers license, utilities started, etc. :-( It isn't for kindergarten, btw, but for 3rd grade.
You are fortunate then, kinder is a son of gun to get into. Call them and see how many spots there currently are. Just showing proof of registering for them may be enough. The first week of July isn't that bad.

If they are full, see if the team leaders class is full. They are legally allowed more students.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You are fortunate then, kinder is a son of gun to get into. Call them and see how many spots there currently are. Just showing proof of registering for them may be enough. The first week of July isn't that bad.

If they are full, see if the team leaders class is full. They are legally allowed more students.
I've made some phone calls this morning, and I am feeling much better about West U (Roberts is still iffy). The West U registrar told me that they can turn people away, but they have not done so yet (at least for 3rd grade), and it shouldn't be an issue to register the first week of July. Phew! That definitely tilts us toward the West U house, so we need to get hustling now on all of that paperwork, etc.

Thank you again to everyone!

(Btw, what is the "team leaders class"? I googled, but was partly unsuccessful. I see that there is a team leader teacher in each grade - is that what that means?)

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
HISD removed WUES magnet program a year or so ago as WUES had so many local kids enrolled they did not need to bring in any from outside the zone for magnet.

If a kid tests into G/T the school has to offer G/T programs to that kid. A very large percentage of the kids at WUES and Roberts are G/T.

Get your drivers license and utilities set up asap after closing and get over to the school to register pronto. The limits may happen in future years so it is important to get in this year to be grandfathered if the limits do take effect later.

There is another nearby school The Rice School that was built to take West U overflow but never really succeeded. No one wanted to leave West U and a large number of low income kids were zoned to the school. The school is underutilized while WUES and Roberts are bursting at the seams. Eventually HISD will have to rezone some of West U and possibly Roberts, but that move is sure to face heated opposition.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
I've made some phone calls this morning, and I am feeling much better about West U (Roberts is still iffy). The West U registrar told me that they can turn people away, but they have not done so yet (at least for 3rd grade), and it shouldn't be an issue to register the first week of July. Phew! That definitely tilts us toward the West U house, so we need to get hustling now on all of that paperwork, etc.

Thank you again to everyone!

(Btw, what is the "team leaders class"? I googled, but was partly unsuccessful. I see that there is a team leader teacher in each grade - is that what that means?)
Yes, it's the leader of the grade level. Not sure exactly what the law says, but as a team leader I was always allowed a couple of extra kids in my class. (Even without the state waiver to exceed max class size.) the reason why they are capping enrollment is the state of Texas is making it harder to get class size waivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: