Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 42,930 times

Advertisements

The Westbury nextdoor lead (Ramon) is pretty bad. There is something seriously wrong with that guy.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I have found Nextdoor in our area quite helpful. It is mostly asking for recommendations, classifieds, reports of stuff going on in the area etc. I have only seen a couple of combative posts and they were shut down very quickly. If I had a lost pet I would be posting on it too.

DJboutit Have you read what it is about?

"People are using Nextdoor to:

Quickly get the word out about a break-in
Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group
Track down a trustworthy babysitter
Find out who does the best paint job in town
Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog
Find a new home for an outgrown bike
Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name
Nextdoor’s mission is to use the power of technology to build stronger and safer neighborhoods."

It is obviously not for you, so don't go there, save yourself some grief!
Sounds like you have a good neighborhood Lead to make it more pleasant. No doubt, there were some good discussions like street beautification ideas, new constructions, and legitimate events.

But like the above commenters said, there are way too many posting about animals, hovering helicopters, and meaningless rants like one just complained about a street lane closure and admitted confronting the construction workers with hostility. This has gotten ridiculous. I think they should ban posting for pet adoptions as most people already have one or don't want one. If we really want a pet, we would pull up the info and arrange for legitimate visits.

The Leads should be vetting wasteful posting but I found it easier to shut down and leave.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,507,153 times
One more thing I think is really dumb when you first signup you get to pick the neighborhoods you want to be apart of if like a month later you want to join any more neighborhoods you have to apply for them and hope they accept you just lame. You should be able to join neighborhoods one more time after you have signed up.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I never heard of it, but went to check it out. They want way too much personal information to participate. I guess I won't get to hear the bitching, complaining and gossip for my 'hood!
This. I was checking it out for my neighborhood here in Denver and was really turned off by some of the info it wanted, including my address, iirc. We have several forums here anyway and it turned out I did not need it. But I am relocating later this summer and I doubt there are comparable forums, so I might suck it up and do it.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:55 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
This. I was checking it out for my neighborhood here in Denver and was really turned off by some of the info it wanted, including my address, iirc. We have several forums here anyway and it turned out I did not need it. But I am relocating later this summer and I doubt there are comparable forums, so I might suck it up and do it.
Yup,nope.
I just looked at it. No way would I give out a real identity/address/phone to a forum.

Also, from what I'm reading, maybe I don't want to know my neighbors that badly. We changed neighborhoods a while back, and if I can't see it or hear it from first hand gossip...I don't need to know. one of perks of kicking the kids out of the nest, PTO and neighbor street drama leaves with them

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times
Nextdoor works fine for our area (an inner city subd.). I didn't even know there WAS a lead.

It's mostly tips, referrals, a few want-ads, some area news, etc. It's good for what it's for.

However, for us, it is NOT a place for any sort of political discussion. None at all. Maybe that's why it works well.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:17 PM

5,839 posts, read 6,109,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yup,nope.
I just looked at it. No way would I give out a real identity/address/phone to a forum.
Exactly.

I'll just continue to post here on C-D and the Clear Lake/Bay area people like tstone and texas7 will hopefully chime in

Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,594,226 times
I am a lead in my NextDoor neighborhood (no where close to yours)
I find NextDoor to be a very good way to communicate to real neighbors.

Some peoples opinions that 'Lost Dog' or 'Need your grass cut' aren't at the top of their list - I find ND to be a very good tool for real neighbors to get to know their real neighbors.

Just last week there was a post from someone needing help finding a local plumber. Turns out that another ND member of my n'hood IS a plumber and was able to get what the OP wanted fixed at a very reasonable price - which made me put that persons phone number in my black book, should I ever have a plumbing issue.

You can always 'MUTE' someone that you don't like seeing posts from - but if they post that your house is on fire well, hope 9-1-1 gets called... seriously, you can ignore or mute someones post at your will.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Exactly.

I'll just continue to post here on C-D and the Clear Lake/Bay area people like tstone and texas7 will hopefully chime in
The phone number is what killed it for me. Who wants unwanted calls, texts, etc.? With your phone number, they know who you are, where you are, and your phone is now tied to too much info. They say they won't give out your information.... Radio Shack said that too, now that they are in bankruptcy, they said they would like to sell it. Also remember Target, Home Depot, etc. To their credit, they were hacked, but there you go.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:10 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
My nextdoor is fine. We just use it for neighborhood communications and neighborhood watch type stuff. We like it and find it helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston