Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM

27 posts, read 39,553 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family and I are going to Houston and Galveston at the end of May and we are very interested in seeing lots of museums and sites. We have many in mind but we only have six full days to do them in. We have a list of places that we would like to see and I am wondering if the locals or visitors of Houston can tell us how much time we should plan for these attractions. Keep in mind that we intend on seeing these places in full, not skimming through exhibits or rushing too much.

-Space Center Houston
-Kemah Boardwalk
-Houston Zoo
-Downtown Aquarium
-Houston Museum of Natural Science
-Houston Museum of Fine Arts
-Menil Collection
-The Orange Show

*Some of us would also like to go see the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium

Also if you could say anything regarding these places in Galveston, please share.
-Texas Seaport Museum
-Moody Gardens
-1894 Opera House
-1892 Bishop's Palace

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have time for all of these but please give us a good idea of how much time we can dedicate to these sites. We would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibasabu View Post
Hello everyone,

My family and I are going to Houston and Galveston at the end of May and we are very interested in seeing lots of museums and sites. We have many in mind but we only have six full days to do them in. We have a list of places that we would like to see and I am wondering if the locals or visitors of Houston can tell us how much time we should plan for these attractions. Keep in mind that we intend on seeing these places in full, not skimming through exhibits or rushing too much.

-Space Center Houston
-Kemah Boardwalk
-Houston Zoo
-Downtown Aquarium
-Menil Collection
-The Orange Show

Also if you could say anything regarding these places in Galveston, please share.
-Texas Seaport Museum
-Moody Gardens
-1894 Opera House
-1892 Bishop's Palace

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have time for all of these but please give us a good idea of how much time we can dedicate to these sites. We would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading!
Go to the space center mid week and early. It is jam packed like sardines on the weekends.

Skip Kemah, Galveston is much better. There is a pleasure pier there with rides if that is what interests you. (Although I think it's overrated too.) Moody Gardens has a nice aquarium, rainforest pyramid, etc... It's pricey though. If you do this, skip the DT aquarium. The Moody Gardens one is nicer. (Kemah, the Aquarium, and The Pleasure Pier are all owned by the same people and very similar)

The Houston zoo is a great value. Go early so you can find parking and beat the heat.

HMNS and MFAH are great. Both Half day things. Do the main exhibits at HMNS and the butterfly pyramid if that appeals to you. Skip the planetarium it needs refurbishment.

I suggest the Miller Outdoor theater for a performance. Sit on the hill and have a picnic for free. Very nice.

Here is an itinerary, but mix it up however.

Day 1 Zoo in the morning, eat lunch somewhere nice, rest and swim at hotel pool, then go to Miller oUtdoor Theater

Day 2 moody Gardens aquarium, Palm Beach, rain Forest or Movie/ tour Galveston/ eat at a good seafood place
Possible Pleasure Pier (although I would skip It)
Day 3 HMNS for the morning, MFAH later

Day 4 Space Center in the morning, you could go to Armand Bayou if you like nature.

You might try the George Ranch too.
http://www.georgeranch.org

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-01-2015 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Please don't do both the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Natural Science both on the same day -- they're huge, you'll be exhausted and you'll get a bad case of Museum-itis where nothing appeals to you. You might eat lunch at Cafe Express at the MFAH. Sadly, the only restaurant at the Science Museum is McDonalds...

Allow a couple of hours for the Menil and maybe a half day for the zoo -- wonderful habitats and animals.

Allow one day for Galveston. You'll drive nearly an hour to get there and another hour or more to get back to Houston, depending on I-45 traffic. Visit Moody Gardens, tour the tall ship Elissa, eat wonderful Gulf seafood, tour any restored buildings that are open, drive around the East End Historic District to see fine old Victorian houses, walk along the seawall or the Strand and eat ice cream.

One day for Kemah attractions and the Space Center. Eat at an outdoor restaurant overlooking the water. See the Orange Show on the way there or on the way back -- it's off I-45 near the University of Houston main campus.

If there's nothing you want to see at the free outdoor Miller Theater in Hermann Park, check listings for whatever's on in the Theater District. First class entertainment at less than NYC prices.

I'd skip the Downtown Aquarium/Restaurant - food isn't that great.

There may be some other smaller museums you and your family would like to see (Holocaust, Childrens, San Jacinto Monument, etc.). You could take in an Astros game and eat at the stadium (lots of food choices beyond the usual)

Welcome to Houston -- hope y'all will enjoy our city! Wear sunscreen, hats and lightweight clothes -- maybe Galveston and Kemah will be a tad cooler and breezier than here. And be prepared to deal with Houston's horrible traffic.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Official Houston CityPASS® | Visit 5 Houston Attractions for $51

The few times i have visitors come, I strongly recommend they buy that pass.

Seems like you will be going to most of them so it is definitely worth it.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
I think Kemah is a better attraction than Galveston imo.

Herman Park along with all the museums might even be 2 days or 1 day if you can pack it.

Space Center is mandatory if you come to Houston. Could do Kemah in the morning and a nice lunch then drive down to Space Center. It is very close to each other. Unfortunately you will then run into the wonderful 45 South traffic when you leave.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Kemah is mostly restaurants on a boardwalk surrounded by a marina. If you want to see something historical go to Galveston. If you are just looking to hang out a bit and grab a bite, then so kemah Boardwalk. It's all in what you are looking for.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:54 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,719 times
If you go to groupon.com, there are discount offers to Moody Gardens and the Museum of Natural Science. I think there is even a special Landry's offer/gift card that is bought through groupon , geared towards families.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:25 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
*Some of us would also like to go see the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium.
It would be worth it to see if you guys could also swap out seeing the Astrodome or Reliant Stadium to check out the San Jacinto Battle Monument and Museum. There is a wealth of very interesting Texas History to be found there. The museum has very interesting art and artifacts and is well worth seeing.

San Jacinto Battle Monument and Museum - Open Daily 9-6

Old 05-02-2015, 02:35 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

-Space Center Houston
-Kemah Boardwalk
-Houston Zoo
-Downtown Aquarium
-Menil Collection
-The Orange Show

-Texas Seaport Museum
-Moody Gardens
-1894 Opera House
-1892 Bishop's Palace

I would divvy up the six days like this, 3 days in Houston for the park , zoo museums, beer can house, NRG, Astrodome, ect. 1 day in Clear Lake for Space Center Houston, and Kemah Boardwalk, and 2 days one night in Galveston for Moody Gardens, Bishops Palace, Ashton Villa, the Strand, cruise the Seawall, and West Beach ect.

P.S. the Orange Show shouldn't take more than about 1/2 hour tops if that long and all you will do is drive by the Astrodome for there are no tours of it at this time but imo it is still a sight worth seeing...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-02-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,008 times
You got some good suggestions. I would also buy mosquito repellent and have it ready when you plan to be outdoors. It's high times for those pesky bugs.

You might want to add swimming breaks to cool off during your trip, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston