Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,168 times

Advertisements

Considering moving here... Can anyone share information in regards to the neighborhood? Pros/Cons? Not familiar with the schools from what I have seen online they look like they are good??? and Whats up with the prison? I've heard it may be closing? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 AM

118 posts, read 207,310 times
I don't live in Aliana, but I live nearby and have friends living there. I would consider the schools as a pro, rather than a con. The new elementary will open this fall and I expect it will be one of the best in FBISD. The area north of W. Airport Blvd go to Bowie MS and Travis HS. Bowie is solid and Travis is currently ranked #4 of FBISD high schools. I expect this ranking to improve as the rezoning works it way out over the next few years. South of W. Airport go to Garcia MS and Austin HS. Garcia is pretty good and Austin is ranked #3. Based on all of this, I wouldn't worry about the schools if deciding between north or south of W. Airport.

As for the prison, I wouldn't expect it to close any time soon. Another prison in Sugar Land was recently closed - the 1st Texas prison closure in 166 years. I'm fairly certain any rumors of this prison closing is based on confusing the two prisons, due to their relative proximity. As the new Harvest Green development starts up and builds around the prison, I expect great effort will be made to plant more trees to downplay the prison's existence. I have no doubts having a prison within a few miles dissuades a few buyers, but it doesn't factor into our daily lives at all. I'm much more concerned with bad guys who aren't in prison than the bad guys in prison getting out.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
I'm fairly certain any rumors of this prison closing is based on confusing the two prisons, due to their relative proximity.
Agreed - I think a few people here on CD have contributed to that confusion, unless someone can post a link stating the Jester unit is indeed going to be closed/relocated to Victoria, from what one poster claimed.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:23 AM

39 posts, read 78,356 times
I am closing my home in Aliana this week. The prison thing bothered me for a while, but as someone said, the people outside the prison cause more worries than the ones inside

It is a beautiful neighborhood with lot of development left. The only downside I see right now is the lack of commercial development near the community.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
The Sugar Land prison near the airport is already closed. The area land is too valuable to justify it staying open.
The other prison, Jester, is actually closer to Pecan Grove and the upcoming Johnson Development called Harvest Green.

Do a search and you'll find other threads on Aliana with comments from residents.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:09 PM

77 posts, read 282,511 times
Have lived in Aliana for over 3 1/2 years and love it. Great neighborhood. Commercial development is starting. A CVS is going up across from the clubhouse. The area next too it will be develop soon as well as the development on Harlem and 99 including the West Belfort extension. Schools a great.

There is also a firehouse under construction on the south end at 1464 and West Airport.

The Aliana developer is already talking about buying more land since the area has had a growth explosion.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 AM

46 posts, read 52,397 times
Does any one have any idea whats going to be there other than CVS. All the forums on Aliana talk only about CVS and nothing else.
The community is growing and I am hoping will be one of the best communities in Houston.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 16,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sross View Post
Have lived in Aliana for over 3 1/2 years and love it. Great neighborhood. Commercial development is starting. A CVS is going up across from the clubhouse. The area next too it will be develop soon as well as the development on Harlem and 99 including the West Belfort extension. Schools a great.

There is also a firehouse under construction on the south end at 1464 and West Airport.

The Aliana developer is already talking about buying more land since the area has had a growth explosion.
So that is a fire station being built in that corner? I thought that maybe it would be a Walgreens… haha. I wonder what else will be coming up… Crazy to see all the new builds going up...

Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
In my crystal ball I see a strip center, inside will be a Subway, Nail Salon, and Dry Cleaners. I'm not sure if my psychic vision is correct, but I wouldn't bet against me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston