Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,914,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Houston14 View Post
I heard that if you are considering harvest green that you have to Be very careful as the land belongs to Houston but the address will be Richmond in this area which means it can be annexed back to Houston if needed in near future. Is this a possibility?

Also I heard schools that will be zoned for that area are not good but I heard they will be having there own elementary school built.
Can't speak to the schools, although I don't imagine kids who attend Travis HS have anything to worry about - this isn't Compton.

As for location of the neighborhood, if it is in fact Houston ETJ, it's unlikely the area will be annexed anytime for the next 20-30 years. This area will have a new MUD with high debt, and Houston has been less inclined to annex residential areas since Kingwood and has focused more on Limited Purpose Annexation (annexing businesses only).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM

118 posts, read 207,310 times
Quote:
I heard that if you are considering harvest green that you have to Be very careful as the land belongs to Houston but the address will be Richmond in this area which means it can be annexed back to Houston if needed in near future. Is this a possibility?

Also I heard schools that will be zoned for that area are not good but I heard they will be having there own elementary school built.
Yes, it is in Houston ETJ, as are Aliana and Cinco Ranch. I'd be much more concerned about the proximity to the prison than the potential for Houston to take on your MUD debt.

Contrary to what you may have heard, the schools include are good. Elementary will start in the new school opening in Aliana, which I expect to be very good. There are plans to open another elementary in Harvest Green when it grows, but that's probably a couple years away. MS is Bowie, which is 2 years old and very good. I consider Travis HS to be a "decent to good" school, but it should improve due to changes to the feeder patterns that begin this year.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 AM

118 posts, read 207,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I read somewhere Harvest Green comes with a vegetable garden in every backyard.

Dumb gimmick if you ask me as much as I like to go to Wholecheck.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the way of the Aliana Polo Fields.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:10 AM

59 posts, read 99,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I read somewhere Harvest Green comes with a vegetable garden in every backyard.

Dumb gimmick if you ask me as much as I like to go to Wholecheck.

"Harvest Green will be the first Houston master-planned community to give residents the opportunity to join an on-site farm co-op and receive fresh produce each week. Plus, an event barn will host chef-instructed culinary classes, farm-to-table dinners and various social gatherings. Each new home in Harvest Green also will come with an option of a ready-to-grow backyard vegetable garden."

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM

41 posts, read 73,103 times
so if you had a choice between harvest green and aliana which would you choose. how close is HG to the prison and has there been any breakouts in the past few years for this to be a concern?

Old 06-25-2015, 11:00 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,818,989 times
Harvest Green is being done by Johnson Development, they don't really miss and tend to do things right. (Riverstone, Sienna..etc.)

Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
Quote:
so if you had a choice between harvest green and aliana which would you choose. how close is HG to the prison and has there been any breakouts in the past few years for this to be a concern?
For now, I would choose Aliana. Call me a skeptic, but I don't think they will fully deliver on the green concept. If they do, I'll be first in line for a home there. HG will be directly across from the prison. Just across the street. But it's a minimum security prison and I don't think it's proximity is a big deal honestly. But I can understand why other people would see it as a black mark.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
Yes, it is in Houston ETJ, as are Aliana and Cinco Ranch. I'd be much more concerned about the proximity to the prison than the potential for Houston to take on your MUD debt.
I figured as much - I hadn't looked at a map yet of where it will be located exactly, but a majority of the 99 corridor north of 90-A is Houston ETJ (much to the unknown shagrin of the "Katy" folks in Cinco Ranch.)

Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM

45 posts, read 93,416 times
Have there been any news about the prison moving?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwcal View Post
Have there been any news about the prison moving?
I have yet to hear anything from a reputable source (read: not just a CD user) that the Jester unit is being shut down. A lot of people confuse this one with the Central unit off of 90-A that shut down in August 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston