Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,998,292 times

Advertisements

The beaches in Bolivar are ok so long as the beach trash doesn't wash up. And I'm talking about people, not garbage. There are so many trashy people that show up on Bolivar on weekends that it can absolutely ruin the experience. You can find a few stretches of beach that are quiet if you get there early enough though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What about beaches in The Bolivar Peninsula?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Galveston is the worst beach I have ever seen in my life. Not sure why anyone would want to go there other than to see Moody Gardens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I spent some time in the Florida keys a couple of years ago, and when I came back home I visited Galveston one weekend and had an immediate "eww" reaction. Brown, muddy water and the ghetto feel of Galveston doesn't do much for me.

About the only place in Texas you can visit a halfway decent beach is on South Padre Island.
I'm glad you don't like it, hopefully that means you don't ever go there, and I don't risk bumping into you.

I absolutely detest whiny people. You know the ones you run into that are always griping about something and telling you they've been to somewhere better.

Me, "What a beautiful sunset."

Them, "Oh, this is nothing compared to the sunset we saw over the Grand Canyon once. This is boring compared to it."

Me, "Wow, that's a cool waterfall."

Them, "Obviously you've never been to Hawaii, their waterfalls are so much better it makes this look like water coming out of our sink."

Me, "This is pretty dang good BBQ."

Them, "We went to the world championship cookoff in Kansas City with VIP passes to all of the tents. After having that, any other BBQ is garbage."

You know those people.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM

391 posts, read 420,266 times
yea, don't go to the beach. I like to take guests around the museum district - go to the Menil collection and then head over to the Galleria and see the Williams tower water wall. Maybe a show downtown? Tons of great bars and restaurants all over, really too many to list. The Yelp app is really helpful for finding good food nearby.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Because Houstonians are deprived of nice things like nice beaches. People here have no choice but to go to Galveston.
It's still disgusting.
I have been to Galveston more times than I can count and never once was deterred from going into the water. I have been to every beach on the Texas coast , a few in Florida and Cali and will say Galveston is OK, it does the job for me and most people who are looking for a beach experience.

BTW I didn't recommend Galveston to the OP I merely said there will be a lot of people there over the Memorial weekend. If the OP would give a few more details about his visit I would give more specific suggestions.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:55 AM

986 posts, read 1,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm glad you don't like it, hopefully that means you don't ever go there, and I don't risk bumping into you.

I absolutely detest whiny people. You know the ones you run into that are always griping about something and telling you they've been to somewhere better.

Me, "What a beautiful sunset."

Them, "Oh, this is nothing compared to the sunset we saw over the Grand Canyon once. This is boring compared to it."

Me, "Wow, that's a cool waterfall."

Them, "Obviously you've never been to Hawaii, their waterfalls are so much better it makes this look like water coming out of our sink."

Me, "This is pretty dang good BBQ."

Them, "We went to the world championship cookoff in Kansas City with VIP passes to all of the tents. After having that, any other BBQ is garbage."

You know those people.
Also would be easier to accept someone's opinion if it weren't stated as fact and SO EXTREME in every.single.post. Rockinar, you can dislike things, but everything can't be the worst. It's not actually possible. One thing can be the worst/most dangerous/crime-ridden/smelly/ugly/congested/awful. All of the others have to be only "bad." It would help people if we could give them reasonable expectations. Galveston is not the nicest beach in the world by far. But it is one of the top 5 beaches that you can drive to from Houston in less than 90 minutes. See how I did that?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,749,615 times
OP, where are you coming from? Whatever you decide to do you should make food a part of it. Houston has some good food.

El tiempo for carnitas cooked old school crispy, Pappasitos or Sylvias beef fajitas, Laredo Taqueria
Crawfish Shack out in crosby - make a fun trip byob and mudbugs. Go early when they open or wait in line

These are a few of my favorites and of course this is subjective, everyone has their favorites.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:42 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Some Houstonians may not care because they have no choice. But I would never recommend a visitor go there. It's dirty, it stinks, you get tarballs all over your feet that don't come off without washing your feet in gasoline, every inch of the beach is lined with rotting seaweed....

Great seafood and the trout fishing along the Texas City **** is good. Galveston beach itself. Horrible. I'd never recommend a visitor go to the actual beach. I have never seen a worse beach anywhere in the world.
Its not dirty. It doesn't stink. I haven't seen tarballs since the 70s. They used to be all over the beach. Seaweed depends on the season. That's actually something that's relatively recent to Galveston. I was at San Destin, a great beach, one time when they were overrun with seaweed even though that's not normal there.

You just don't go expecting crystal clear water and white sand beaches like the Carribean.

Someone warned me that Venice, Italy was dirty and it stinked before I went there. I was prepared for that and so Venice was wonderful. Galveston is fine if you go with the right expectations.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM

785 posts, read 1,227,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SincereRegal View Post
My girlfriend and I are visiting Houston next week, during Memorial Day weekend, can anyone give us some recommendations of either events, areas or landmarks to visit while we are in town.
The biggest thing happening that weekend will be the Comicpalooza convention at the George R. Brown Convention Center downtown, if you two feel like hobnobbing with geeks and meeting some celebrities (like a couple of them from the Avengers movies).

There's plenty of landmarks and areas to see in the city, so let us know what kinds of things you're interested in so we have a better idea of what to recommend. Otherwise we'll just tell you to go to NASA or the Galleria.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its not dirty. It doesn't stink. I haven't seen tarballs since the 70s. They used to be all over the beach. Seaweed depends on the season. That's actually something that's relatively recent to Galveston. I was at San Destin, a great beach, one time when they were overrun with seaweed even though that's not normal there.

You just don't go expecting crystal clear water and white sand beaches like the Carribean.

Someone warned me that Venice, Italy was dirty and it stinked before I went there. I was prepared for that and so Venice was wonderful. Galveston is fine if you go with the right expectations.
A lot of this depends on the season, I think.

Expect less seaweed at Galveston this summer | KXAN.com

Quote:
So much seaweed landed in Galveston last year that officials were unable remove it from some beaches.
(2014)

Beach Advisory

Back in March, there was an oil spill in Galveston Bay. The tar balls from that one seem to have hit Mustang Island and Port Aransas.

Apparently, though tar balls from natural oil seeps are common.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM

95 posts, read 162,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
How are you traveling, are you flying in, or driving in ? Are you staying with friends ? What part of town will you be staying. Is it just for the weekend? Are you in on Friday and out on Monday ?

A lot of people n Houston go to Galveston on holiday weekends, but let me tell you it will be crowded..

We are flying in but renting a car, and we will be staying in the Downtown area.. Coming in on Thursday and leaving Monday around noon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston