Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM

167 posts, read 246,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

Royal Oaks is barely in Alief ISD, and I don't think those guys really want to be "a part of Alief". I heard on here the location is making it less desirable than other places.
Barely whatever. It's in Alief ISD.

Aside from River Oaks and maybe some Memorial areas, bottom line is that Royal Oaks has the highest property values and highest desirability in all of Houston metro.

Its a ridiculous statement. Its same as saying, dont live in River Oak because you're zoned to HISD. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,846,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
Barely whatever. It's in Alief ISD.

Aside from River Oaks and maybe some Memorial areas, bottom line is that Royal Oaks has the highest property values and highest desirability in all of Houston metro.

Its a ridiculous statement. Its same as saying, dont live in River Oak because you're zoned to HISD. lol
Carlton Woods (The Woodlands) is more expensive (and many would say desirable) than Royal Oaks. And while I haven't check the home prices, I bet that Lakes of Parkway is at least equally as desirable as Royal Oaks, and has better perceived schools, especially elementary.

You also left out West U and, especially, Southampton. So while Royal Oaks is definitely fairly upper echelon, I wouldn't put it at the top of the elite short list.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Carlton Woods (The Woodlands) is more expensive (and many would say desirable) than Royal Oaks. And while I haven't check the home prices, I bet that Lakes of Parkway is at least equally as desirable as Royal Oaks, and has better perceived schools, especially elementary.

You also left out West U and, especially, Southampton. So while Royal Oaks is definitely fairly upper echelon, I wouldn't put it at the top of the elite short list.
Okay I've give you West U and River Oaks and perhaps some Memorial corridor areas, but I don't consider The Woodlands even remotely part of urban Houston.

IMHO, Lakes of Parkway isn't quite Royal Oaks but are comparable. However Lakes of Parkway is an indeed interesting data point. It an interesting data point meaning that Lakes of Parkway is HISD just like River Oaks and yet borders Alief, which means according to some here, everybody there should run to the burbs!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,846,361 times
Quote:
Okay I've give you West U and River Oaks and perhaps some Memorial corridor areas, but I don't consider The Woodlands even remotely part of urban Houston.

IMHO, Lakes of Parkway isn't quite Royal Oaks but are comparable. However Lakes of Parkway is an indeed interesting data point. It an interesting data point meaning that Lakes of Parkway is HISD just like River Oaks and yet borders Alief, which means according to some here, everybody there should run to the burbs!!!
The Woodlands is very very much part of the "Houston metro" which is the term you used.

Lakes of Parkway is zoned to Bush Elementary, which is considered highly desirable.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The Woodlands is very very much part of the "Houston metro" which is the term you used.

Lakes of Parkway is zoned to Bush Elementary, which is considered highly desirable.
Also zoned to Westside High School, which really isn't any better than say Alief Taylor

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM

447 posts, read 483,284 times
Carlton Woods is over taxed, over hyped and boring :-) and schools are not even zoned to TW. There are much nicer areas in TW. ( I know, different opinions):-)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 AM

21 posts, read 42,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
I remember shortly before I left 1987 ish there was something that happened to the local economy. I was in 10th grade in high school and it was such a great place to grow up. I never came back and now I'm in my 40's. My memories were always some of my happiest. I recently saw a documentary that showcased Alief and it was just such a shock. The crime. Drugs. Gangs. Just thought it would be interesting to some that it used to be a place where very fortunate kids grew up, went to college, rode their bikes until dark, took limos to school dances in 8th grade, wore Espirit, Guess, James Avery rings, Pepsi and Coke clothes (in the 1980's lol)

There used to be a teen dance place, skating rink... don't know if they are all gone, but it was a great place to live.
Are you thinking of Fame City on Beechnut near Hwy 6? It's still there in the form of "Funplex". I might be a little older than you, Fame City opened between my Jr & Sr. year at Elsik.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 AM

21 posts, read 42,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
That area was always scratchy. It was at best "middle class", houses were mostly small under 2k sqft. Back then it was mostly blue collar white people with some hispanics and asians mixed in.

Now it is Asians, hispanics, and Blacks but more lower middle class.

I make sure my car is locked when i drive in alief.
Speak for yourself! I went to Elsik (class of '87) & lived in Mission Leona off of Hwy 6 & Bellaire in a big 3,000+ sq ft house across the street from a local new anchor dude. We were in a hood with much bigger houses & pools, nice cars, upper middle class folks. My girlfriend & few friends lived on the SW edge of Huntington Village (Ollie MS area) and were even more well off than we were. Trust me, there was some money around there at the time.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:05 AM

20 posts, read 18,987 times
Quote:
Also zoned to Westside High School, which really isn't any better than say Alief Taylor
You must be joking. Westside High may not be Clements, but it is certainly better than Alief Taylor

Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,357,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
Carlton Woods is over taxed, over hyped and boring :-) and schools are not even zoned to TW. There are much nicer areas in TW. ( I know, different opinions):-)
Carlton Woods is zoned to schools in The Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston