Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Don't we already have two junky airports? We don't needs a 3rd. Pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Junky?

---------------------

Since Hobby just got Int status, I really doubt we'll see another airport with it for a very very long time in our area.

I'm not talking about a potential Int service out of a "private" airport like Montgomery County (when TW tried to get it for corporate bigwigs) but standard commercial airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Yeah, junky. I've been to airports all over the world. IAH is one of the most confusing, poorly designed and out dated airports I have seen. The best part is seeing people trying to figure out how to get between terminals. I have been here since the 70's and I'm still not sure myself.
Agreed. The two airports in Houston are terrible for a city of its size. I flew into Hobby a month ago and it was the first time I had been there in 30 years. I would liken it to a regional airport or one in a metro area of around 250-500K people.

IAH is nowhere close to the top airports in the country. For the past 10 years, my home airports have been DIA and DFW before that, so my perception is kind of skewed....

Edit: in fairness to Hobby, in 2 airport cities, one airport is always the smaller and kind of "forgotten about". Love Field, Midway etc.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-25-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:47 AM

352 posts, read 777,818 times
IM sure with the money the city is stealing with the continued use of the Sam Houston Parkway tolls they can afford to build 3 airports

Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
There is an airport in brookshire

Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
IM sure with the money the city is stealing with the continued use of the Sam Houston Parkway tolls they can afford to build 3 airports
The city gets nothing from the toll roads. That money goes to TxDOT or HCTRA

Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
A ridiculous statement. As WRM20 pointed out, the city is not involved in the toll roads at all. At. All.

And just because one area of the city makes money, doesn't mean they can "afford" to waste it on what they want. That would be like us saying, "With all the money waytoodeep is making from his job, he can afford to send us all to DisneyWorld".

Airports do make money. That's why we continue to expand them, update them, promote them. And the indirect benefits are huge--bringing people into the city, allowing companies to grow, yada yada. We have what is considered a world-class airport system (regardless of what some people above have said). It has won awards for both design and operation. It's a big part of what helps Houston grow and prosper.

And finally, the toll road authorities will NEVER turn off the tolls. They either use the money to keep them maintained & updated, or use it to build other toll roads. Get over it.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Agreed. The two airports in Houston are terrible for a city of its size. I flew into Hobby a month ago and it was the first time I had been there in 30 years. I would liken it to a regional airport or one in a metro area of around 250-500K people.

IAH is nowhere close to the top airports in the country. For the past 10 years, my home airports have been DIA and DFW before that, so my perception is kind of skewed....

Edit: in fairness to Hobby, in 2 airport cities, one airport is always the smaller and kind of "forgotten about". Love Field, Midway etc.
The biggest and best airport in our country is in Denver. What a great airport that is ! And what's even better, also unlike the larger Texas airports like DFW and IAH Denver even has real competition between multiple carriers.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 AM

47 posts, read 52,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

This won't be true in a few years, but I definitely agree with you as of now.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 AM

325 posts, read 255,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
We have what is considered a world-class airport system (regardless of what some people above have said). It has won awards for both design and operation. It's a big part of what helps Houston grow and prosper.
Agreed. While Joe-Six-Pack might lament the lack of adequate BBQ restaurants or Budweiser Brewhouses near his terminal during his layover to Vegas, a good airport offers frequent non-stop flights, ease of access, takes off on time and gets you in and out quickly. IAH has often ranked first nationwide for on-time performance. Nearly half of its flights are origin and destination (O&D), somewhat diminishing the need of jumping terminals across an airport. It's easy to park, get picked up, and the lines move fast (although they could stand to extend Pre-check hours). The layout is excellent if you are at your airline's terminal and there to fly - not quite as satisfying if you are taking a rambling airport walk out of entertainment, riding trolleys for fun or trying to get drunk in public.

If you want to be overwhelmed by populist art or non-functional architecture, go visit Brasilia. If eating at chain restaurants is an important part of your traveling experience, wedge an hour of your time to visit one before the airport. IAH is as efficient a large American airport as I have flown out of, and I have literally flown out of them all. The novelty of air travel wears off for most people when they turn 17 - sometimes you just want to get somewhere quickly and efficiently, minimize time in an airport and over to work or home. IAH is great in this regard.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The biggest and best airport in our country is in Denver. What a great airport that is ! And what's even better, also unlike the larger Texas airports like DFW and IAH Denver even has real competition between multiple carriers.
For the 5 years that DFW was our "home airport" we lived in Wichita Falls, so it was still a 2 hour drive. For the 5 years before that (with the exception of 1 year), we lived in Central MO and had to drive 2 hours to either STL or KCI.

The fact that I live a 15 minute drive door to door to DIA is a major source of happiness for me. Alas, we will lose it in 2 weeks because we are moving back to the Houston area. I guess if I compare the drive from our Clear Lake area house to Hobby (or even a one drive to IAH) to the situation when I lived in Wichita Falls or MO, I should still be happy about the proximity to an airport.

There is nothing more depressing than traveling all day, and then on top of that, having to drive hours to get home....

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
No, a thrid commercial airport isnt comming to Houston for many, many, many, years.

Yes, IAH is junky. Loving Houston, but man I miss having DFW for a home airport. I also miss being able to give my loyalty to American Airlines as opposed to United.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston