Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 AM

79 posts, read 89,588 times

Advertisements

You might want to check out St. Stephens Episcopal very liberal and near your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM

509 posts, read 735,216 times
The OP is highly suspicious. Shortly after it became national news that leftists were going after private Christian schools (typically using LGBT issues as the weapon) a new poster shows up out of the blue and starts asking about how welcome a same sex couple and their child would be in schools whose religious foundations are known to explicitly preclude homosexuality. This is the next wave of "bake the cake" attacks in the making. There's a good chance that the OP is looking for a target for a legal battle rather than a realistic option for their child's education.

Here are just two of many recent references to this sick new attempt at religious persecution:

https://pjmedia.com/faith/exposechri...ian-education/

https://www.facebook.com/rofcblog/vi...68137875/?t=86

OP - want to prove me wrong? Then go apply to one of Houston's private Islamic schools.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
The OP is highly suspicious. Shortly after it became national news that leftists were going after private Christian schools (typically using LGBT issues as the weapon) a new poster shows up out of the blue and starts asking about how welcome a same sex couple and their child would be in schools whose religious foundations are known to explicitly preclude homosexuality. This is the next wave of "bake the cake" attacks in the making. There's a good chance that the OP is looking for a target for a legal battle rather than a realistic option for their child's education.

Here are just two of many recent references to this sick new attempt at religious persecution:

OP - want to prove me wrong? Then go apply to one of Houston's private Islamic schools.
If you think Christians are "persecuted" in this country, you should count yourself as extremely blessed to be living in a country where you could hold such a naive opinion.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
People shouldn't be taking extreme sides here. We all have the right to do so personally, but that's not the purpose of this thread. We need to be as open and honest about the OP's situation and what he/she will be confronting. Let's leave personal preferences and even biases out of this.

As such, this is the Bible Belt, so there are deeply rooted philosophies and traditions that have to be recognized. Yes, Houston is a huge and fairly international city, but the underlying environment and history will still be around and ever present. It's hard to say how much confrontation and unease might crop up for the OP specifically, but it does need to be seen clearly upfront as a possibility. Some areas of Houston will be better for the OP, but that doesn't mean discrimination won't still be encountered.

The OP might want to share where he/she is from, so we might help to clarify differences in attitude and mindset here from where he/she is from. Culture varies enormously across the US. That's the most important factor - in my mind - whenever transitioning to a potential new location.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-12-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
People clearly have no idea of what "persecution" means

Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM

86 posts, read 132,820 times
Quote:

I think you are mistaken -this was a recently resurrected dead post from about 4 years ago, so I highly doubt that the original poster was capitalizing on recent events.

I think that it's okay to ask about whether one's situation is out of the norm or might be seen as "unacceptable." I cannot count the amount of times I've read about religious schools choosing to exercise their right to not enroll or re-enroll children of same-sex couples, unwed cohabiting parents, or families not practicing their faith or attending certain masses.

I think it's okay for families to know if they shouldn't bother wasting their time if their child (or family) won't be accepted into a program. The original poster didn't make any mention of disrupting the system. I truly feel sorry for you if you felt you were being persecuted.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,294 times
Quote:

Wow, Houston Parent, you need to get over yourself.

OP here. Houston Parent, as you pointed out, I have almost no presence on City Data, so you know next to nothing about me. And yet, in one short antagonistic post, you accuse me of being a liar and either a money-grubber or an attention-monger, depending on the goal of my hypothetical lawsuit. Is it all of humanity for whom you have such a low opinion, or is that animosity reserved for those who don't live, love, and look like you?

I don't need to have my child apply to a Muslim school to prove you wrong. The fact that I DIDN'T have our child apply to a Muslim school, or to First or Second Baptist, proves my point. If I were spoiling for a fight, those would have been at the top of my list. We were not looking for a headline - just the best education we could find.

For those who are wondering, we were welcomed and treated quite graciously by AOS, ROBS, and Presbyterian, as well as the secular schools (SJS, Fay, and Awty). We were assured by each school that, if our child were accepted and matriculated, neither the teachers nor the administration would have any problems with our same-sex family structure. And I am happy to report that our child was accepted at both secular and religious schools. For the sake of our child's privacy, I won't reveal which school we chose, but suffice it to say that we are all quite happy with the choice, and we've encountered no issues.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
Religious schools have strict moral standards that students must abide by, and homosexuality isn't tolerated at a religious school. The OP's best bet is to apply to a mainstream private school.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Religious schools have strict moral standards that students must abide by, and homosexuality isn't tolerated at a religious school. The OP's best bet is to apply to a mainstream private school.
Some religious schools do and some don't. AFAIK Catholic schools are ok with gay students. Lutheran High North is not.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonianmom View Post
You might want to check out St. Stephens Episcopal very liberal and near your home.
You bumped a four year old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Absolutely not true. Moral standards? Yes. Homosexuality not tolerated? Not a given. Each school calls its own shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: