Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,282 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband is traveling to willowbrook for work for a few weeks, we were planning to go with him (myself and 3 kids), we were planning to stay at a hotel in willowbrook but reading online it seems it's not a safe as it once was? Is this true? Is there somewhere safer close by? I will want to be able to get out with the kids during the day while he's working so I'd like to be in a good area looking forward to getting to know the city!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,429 times
You'll be fine.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Willowbrook is a perfectly fine and family friendly area, I am in that area all the time and often with my own kids. It is of course not very close to the downtown zoo or museums which are practically the only tourist draws in the city, but there are certainly plenty of restaurants and shops in and around Willowbrook itself. I'm not sure what you would do with the kids for daily activities but honestly this is true anywhere in Houston. Some ideas that I can think of include the Itz arcade and entertainment center, the Aerodrome for ice skating, the nice YMCA at 249 & Cypresswood, Swansons Golf has camps and lessons for kids, the Stone Moves rock climbing gym, the ubiquitous Chuck E Cheese for younger kids, movies...

Last edited by fnh; 05-30-2015 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,282 times
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations as well!

Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
If you going to stay in a hotel, stay further north and away from FM1960 (Cypresswood Dr and up).

The mall is infested with young thugs want to be and very ethnic.

I think that area is not a good place to visit. Your husband can always drive up to Willowbrook.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:54 AM
fnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
If you going to stay in a hotel, stay further north and away from FM1960 (Cypresswood Dr).

The mall is infested with young thugs want to be and very ethnic.

I think that area is not a good place to visit. Your husband can always drive up to Willowbrook.
This is simply not true AT ALL. Frankly, I don't understand ipuck's constant misrepresentation of Willowbrook, especially after reading enough of his inarticulate posts to assume he is rather the type of lower class person he is always warning others against. Sorry ipuck, but I have to point out the double standard.

I am heading to the Willowbrook area myself this morning to do some shopping. I have never felt unsafe around there and it's absurd to suggest the area is more unsafe than any other busy suburban hub. Willowbrook itself is one of the nicer malls in Houston.

I just remembered, the mall is hosting Thursday evening "Sip & Shop" events this summer. I'm curious but am leaving soon for the summer and will miss these. Here is the link in case you are interested:
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/sprin...ccb498e19.html

Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 AM

112 posts, read 199,127 times
I've lived in the area for 20 years and I can tell you that while I don't feel unsafe, the area has definitely changed over that time. Yes its more ethnic than it once was, there seems to be more unsavory characters hanging out at the mall at times, but generally it's still pretty safe and a nice area. I still shop there, eat at the restaurants, go to the movies in the area without feeling unsafe.
With that being said, I would still consider staying a little bit north of there, maybe off of Louetta and 249. It's only a couple of miles north, and you'd have closer access to the Vintage shopping and restaurants as well.
I hope you and your family enjoy your stay!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
This is simply not true AT ALL. Frankly, I don't understand ipuck's constant misrepresentation of Willowbrook, especially after reading enough of his inarticulate posts to assume he is rather the type of lower class person he is always warning others against. Sorry ipuck, but I have to point out the double standard.

I am heading to the Willowbrook area myself this morning to do some shopping. I have never felt unsafe around there and it's absurd to suggest the area is more unsafe than any other busy suburban hub. Willowbrook itself is one of the nicer malls in Houston.

I just remembered, the mall is hosting Thursday evening "Sip & Shop" events this summer. I'm curious but am leaving soon for the summer and will miss these. Here is the link in case you are interested:
Willowbrook Mall introduces 'Sip N Shop' - Your Houston News: News: willowbrook mall, sip n shop,
I grow up there and live there myself for a little while since I moved back.

Multiple people I know never go to Willowbrook and rather drive further to Woodlands to shop.

Like the other posters said, there are so many more unsavory characters walking around with all the apartments on every other block and Metro picking them up certainly doesn't help.

Suburbia shouldn't feel like this.

If you feel so safe, go buy something at Walmart and tell me how you like it.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 AM
fnh

I just returned from running errands at Willowbrook with my entire family. I told DH about your 'infestation' comment while we were out and he agrees that that is a false and hateful comment. Only an idiot would drive 25 miles further to bypass Willowbrook Mall for The Woodlands Mall, and you are deluding yourself if you think there are no 'thugs' there either - or at any mall in Houston. (I get the sense that for you a 'thug' is anyone with a tattoo and/or skin darker than yours.)

Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
My wife and kids are in the area quite often, and yes, it might be a bit less "perfect" than it was 20 years ago when we moved to the area, but as long as you are not oblivious and are mindful of your surroundings, it is a good area. Don't leave stuff in your car and watch everything around you. My then 17-18 yr old daughter worked at the mall for over a year and never had any issues or heard of anything. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more crime in the Galleria area than in the Willowbrook area. An we don't go to Walmart unless it is an emergency between 10pm and 8am when Target is closed, and then we go to the Eldridge location, but I do agree that Willowbrook Walmart location has gone down a bit over the years. A few miles east of Willowbrook is a bit more sketchy, but not too bad. And isn't The Woodlands Mall where they had a couple of violent smash and grab jewelry store robberies???

There are plenty of good places to stay north of Willowbrook Mall, and like fnh mentioned, plenty to do. There is also a nice Lifetime Fitness location there that my kids enjoyed playing in the pools during the summer. We would get a summer family pass for like $150 and they used it most days.

Hope you have a good time here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston