Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM

53 posts, read 80,555 times

Advertisements

I rode both on opening day. Smooth ride, nice, simple train interiors.
The things that stood out most were both related to the sharing of stations and tracks by the Green and Purple lines between Downtown and Dynamo Stadium (EaDo/Stadium station).
1) There is nothing on any train indicating a color. You have no way of knowing which train is coming unless you're watching the LED marquis as it approaches. I heard several folks who said they'd gotten on the wrong train and ended up somewhere else. With so many people staring down into their phones these days this will likely present a problem for many.
2) Although the trains have doors that open on both sides of the train, at the EaDo/Stadium station there is a boarding platform in the street and also one at the sidewalk, meaning on each side of the train. However, you can only board the Purple Line from the street platform and the Green from the sidewalk area platform. No one knew this and the crowd was getting a bit testy as the cops were telling everyone to go the other way but they weren't allowed to cross in the crosswalk in front of the train so that they could get to the other side and board, meaning we had to wait for the next train. No biggie, but there were no obvious signs indicating this.
So, as one Metro employee mentioned during the chaos, it's a work in progress and changes to address these obstacles might follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 AM

213 posts, read 303,715 times
I saw about 10 people on the one that drives down n main. What a waste of money. Barely anyone is using it and it hasn't improved the quality of life for the majority (not more than 1 percent) of Houstonians or improved the city's image. It looked like a glorified bus.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolvl View Post
I saw about 10 people on the one that drives down n main. What a waste of money. Barely anyone is using it and it hasn't improved the quality of life for the majority (not more than 1 percent) of Houstonians or improved the city's image. It looked like a glorified bus.
It's one of the most used LRT systems in the country. The train anywhere will not be packed everytime.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolvl View Post
That's because those lines don't go anywhere. University and Uptown should have been the main priority. These two lines were just built thinking it would appease people.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:01 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
These two lines have been up and running for a couple of months now, any reviews ?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
These two lines have been up and running for a couple of months now, any reviews ?
I haven't ridden them myself, but a Chronicle article last week talked about how empty they were and how ridership lagged projections. Of course, the Purple line serves UH which is not in session at the moment, and the Green Line isn't complete all the way to the Magnolia TC. So, things will likely improve ridership-wise once those things change...but still, these lines serve low-density areas without major everyday destinations (UH aside). It shouldn't be surprising that they're not well-used right now. Their success in attracting riders will largely depend on adding dense development along them in the future.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Baloney, how many students live in the area the trolley goes to? Not many.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:43 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
does Houston plan on adding a bunch of stuff around UH/3rd ward by the rail?

Old 07-22-2015, 05:53 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
does Houston plan on adding a bunch of stuff around UH/3rd ward by the rail?
Be patient and don't give up-- it's going to take awhile before the area takes off. For starters, the new HISD High School for Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement will soon start construction on Scott Street near I-45.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM

I agree, straight down Westheimer, but all the way to Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: