Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times

Advertisements

We're in the Meyerland/Westbury area; cars and home are fine. We do know a lot of people whose homes flooded, however. Seems to be the area between Chimney Rock and 610, close to the bayou, that was hit the hardest, from what I hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couimet1 View Post
In any event, please see below area and can anybody tell me how this neighborhood made out in regards to the flooding. also, what about the spring, tx area ?
couimet, I am on the S/SE edge of the area you encircled and there was no flooding as I reported above. We drove to the Willowbrook area yesterday to Whole Foods, Lowes and the art store. No problems.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM

40 posts, read 58,089 times
thank you very much !

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
GMC predicted this in a marketing photo a couple of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
5/25 Flooding - How did your area manage?-mm_gal_item_c2_9.img_resize.img_stage._0.jpg  

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, Allison was worse.
Allison was worse. There were about 50,000 homes with water in them after Allison. 50,000!

I'm hearing around 5,000 from this week's storms.

Of course, if you're one of the 5,000, it will be a bad storm. And rightly so. But in terms of overall area conditions, Allison was far worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It was very bad. We have a house that never flooded since it was build in the 60's.
Last night the water came from the backyard into the kitchen, mud room and back bedroom.
Elnina, I am so sorry for your problems. Hopefully insurance does cover it, and you end up better than before. But I know it will be challenging for a few weeks. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Does anybody here live in Grand Mission just South of George Bush Park?
I'm watching a friends house who moved out of the country... if anybody lives around there, can you tell me how the area did with the storms?
I'd hate to drive over there on a weekday (50 miles each way) just to find out that the area wasn't affected.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2015, 09:23 AM

483 posts, read 655,217 times
The area with all the apartments at Fannin and Holly Hall did okay. Its where we live currently.
The apartments all seemed to have faired well, but the next morning there were several abandoned cars so I'm assuming the roads got bad.

We were over in the Heights until almost 10pm, I'm very glad I made us leave when we did or we would've been stuck until morning.
I drive an F150 and at 10 there were already some spots that were throwing water up over the hood when we went through. I stuck to the loop to come around, so it wasn't too bad yet.

The house we are closing on on the 4th in Fairbanks faired very well, which is very comforting to know(although we are still carrying flood insurance)

The news reports I have heard said this was comparable, maybe a little worse, then Ike but that Allison was still worse than both. Many many homes and buildings flooded during Allison. This one caught people off guard since it wasn't a tropical storm or a hurricane. Just a hellishly bad storm.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Willowbrook area jersey village and spring are for the most part just fine.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM

112 posts, read 199,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couimet1 View Post
Hello, i will be a newcoming in the next week to Houston, TX and with all this bad news about floods, i just want to be safe.

i mean the news seems to make Houston, tx a complete disaster, but i feel like it's just certain pockets of houston. im from NYC, and when we got hit with sandy, my neighborhood was completely untouched. it was those that lived near certain bodies of water that were submerged in water.

In any event, please see below area and can anybody tell me how this neighborhood made out in regards to the flooding. also, what about the spring, tx area ?

I live in the area you circled and didn't have any problems. there was some isolated street flooding, that went down pretty quickly but I don't know of any homes being flooded in the area (not saying there weren't any, but none I saw on the news nor in person).

Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
I stayed out at my mom's in Cypress near Fry@290 and it was just fine. Even the areas along Cypress Creek weren't that bad since that creek doesn't start too far north of there. I'm sure Cypress Creek got a lot worse as it meandered east though. I left out of town the next morning for work so I wonder how my apartment in town fared though.

Last edited by curbur; 05-27-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston