Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 PM

31 posts, read 34,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

With Houston having a metro population of over 6 million ( Greater Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), there are going to be tens of thousands of younger (below 35) dinks living outside of the loop.

I think anybody living outside of the loop can find plenty of friends, even younger DINKS, if they are active in pursuing them. Sure, it will take more effort in the burbs; however, there is probably less of a chance of losing them once they have kids and decide to move to the burbs, lol.
to the bolded part.

And yes, I'm hoping the sheer size of the population mean there's some number of folks just like us, that we can find out where we plan to live. And would love to hear their experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM

31 posts, read 34,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflyers View Post
We were DINKS for a while but are now expecting (oh how life will change!) We are both in our mid 30's and when we moved to Houston we rented in the loop for a while but just couldn't justifying buying there. We were just like you, wanted more space, more house, we have parents/family who stay for extended periods, and while the Heights looked good, I couldn't justify what we would have to spend to get a house we wanted - and the plots were not the size we wanted either. We fell in love with the Champion Forest area as soon as we drove through and bought up here pretty shortly after.

We were able to make friends with our neighbors, younger couples like us with kids, other DINKs though various places like the gym, Raveneaux CC, just chatting with people at restaurants or events. We did get quite a few people asking us how many kids we had, but none were condescending or stand-offish about it.

Overall we love living up here, we got a great house with a yard and pool in a great community for what we wouldn't have gotten a 2,000sq ft or smaller townhouse for in other parts of town. Plus we are in a good ISD which is always a bonus.

We also love the location - easy to hop on the beltway to get to City Center or Downtown. Quick trip north to the Woodlands or Conroe. And with the Grand Parkway coming in we will be close enough to use it, but not hear it in our back yard or even know it is there. We went to a concert downtown last Tuesday night and were home in under 30 mins with no traffic at 10pm. If you are working from home than even better! My husbands commute downtown is usually about 45 mins.

Finally, we haven't lost touch with our friends who still live in the loop. Sure we see them less, but we just have great parties at our place, we have extra rooms for people to spend the night. And everyone is always commenting on how they need to get to the burbs because we are so happy up here!

So that's my 2 cents! Hope it is even a little helpful
Extremely helpful (and hopeful) to hear others have done this with success. And glad to hear your friends have been willing to travel out to you. Where we are now, we are only 20 min from "downtown" but people seem more resistant to the idea of where we live than the distance. We often get dismissed as living in the 'burbs' and having to shut down early so we don't upset the neighbors (and our neighbors actually wouldn't be a problem),

Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeensBeans View Post
Following up on my post asking for general assessments of the 'DINK-friendliness' of 2 neighborhoods we're considering moving to (Summerwood and Fall Creek), I thought it might just be better to find out where others like ourselves are living, or what their thoughts are about how much location matters. Husband and I are in our late 30's, no plans to have kids, work for ourselves, travel a lot. We're not averse to friendships/activities with couples with kids but we do find they have limited availability and/or very different schedules from us.

What parts of town are DINKs living in and do you find your friends mostly live in your neighborhood as well? How much do you find it matters? Maybe it's an incorrect assumption on my part that one has to be in the same neighborhood as one's peers. What does your typical social calendar involve? How do you connect with others like yourself? Mostly through work, some organized interest, Meetups, something else? Since we work from home, work connections wont be a big source for us.

Appreciate any insights! Thanks!
I would look at a place like SugarLand over Summerwood/Fall Creek.

The Museum District, Midtown etc. would be the best areas, but I know also expensive.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:06 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,449,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I would look at a place like SugarLand over Summerwood/Fall Creek.

The Museum District, Midtown etc. would be the best areas, but I know also expensive.
Sugar Land is one heck of a trek to IAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston