Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,479 times

Advertisements

you just love to spout nonsense all over this board don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I don't get it

People live in 1MM dollar mansions and send their kids to this school where 48 percent of students are considered "economically disadvantaged." ???

Are these people stupid? Or there is something I do not see.

NRG parking fee an insult at HISD graduations - Houston Chronicle
No, those people aren't stupid. That's not atypical for schools in HISD, especially high schools that have a large attendance area and are magnet schools. Even Carnegie Vanguard is 20% economically disadvantaged, and that's the school for the smartest kids in HISD.

in this case, the stupidity lies elsewhere...

Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
Ken Hoffman wrote the article as he uses the chron the pump up Lamar since he lives in West U....oddly enough he mentions westside, bellaire and Lamar graduations when I swore there were several Hisd schools such as Madison, Sam Houston and Westbury graduating the same day who can have legit beef to complain

There is life beyond the loop Hoffman

Old 06-03-2015, 01:33 AM

960 posts, read 2,750,008 times
Quote:
Crazy situation

These 1MM dollar homes paying so much in real estate taxes and they send their kids to private schools...

It does not make financial sense

About the rich families sending their kids to this school; again it does not make sense; about 38 percent of its 3,200 students are Hispanic, 29 percent African-American.

I mean sell your house and move to a nice neighborhood send your kid to private school and invest the rest of your money and retire early whatever.

What is going on here?

It is like they are subsidizing poor voluntarily and intentionally.

I think I am missing something...
Does it surprise you that some millionaire kids even turned down private schools to go to public schools? It does happen as some people are more down-to-earth and like to have a more real-world life experience rather than being sheltered behind golden gated communities and country clubs.

Besides, the property tax rates are cheaper in Houston than in new developing suburbs. I don't look at paying property taxes as 'subsidizing the poor' because education is important to help our country prosper with new ideas, inventions, and better paying jobs. Without education, crime, poverty, and drugs would be much rampant.

BTW, Ken wrote a useless article complaining about $12 parking instead of making a long-term suggestion that we stop using a whopping 70,000 stadium for 850 graduating seniors.

Last edited by Bike4Life; 06-03-2015 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 05:15 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Actually I think the focus is more on lower income kids (of any race). There's been many comments on this board about the undesirability of sending children to New Caney or Splendora schools, because the (primarily Anglo) kids are low income. As if somehow that's going to hurt their child's education because they're coming from a more affluent household. So I guess the question is, does it?
In Conroe ISD, there are schools with low income kids and there are schools with upper income kids and I can tell you that standards are higher in the upper income schools. Is it fair? I don't know, but many low income students come from families that either don't have the time, resources or education themselves to make education a priority for their children. I'm not saying they don't care, I'm just saying that poor people are generally less educated then rich people. Some of those poor students would do very poorly in a more rigorous curriculum. Also, the PTO's in the upper income schools contribute much, much more money to the school that their kid goes to, so there are more resources for a more quality education. School district won't pay for many things to enhance a child's education. That's where the PTO's come in and supplement those many things. It's the parent's money, so they can decide how that money is spent.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Actually I think the focus is more on lower income kids (of any race). There's been many comments on this board about the undesirability of sending children to New Caney or Splendora schools, because the (primarily Anglo) kids are low income. As if somehow that's going to hurt their child's education because they're coming from a more affluent household. So I guess the question is, does it?
There is a super strong correlation between income of the families and the SAT scores of kids.

There is also a super strong correlation between low income and crime. There are many studies about these on the internet you can find.

Now, do you understand why people are trying to avoid schools with kids from poor families?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,386 times
And even if you don't use the school, it is still part of your resale value.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
There is a super strong correlation between income of the families and the SAT scores of kids.

There is also a super strong correlation between low income and crime. There are many studies about these on the internet you can find.

Now, do you understand why people are trying to avoid schools with kids from poor families?
You are right, but is not always true
I went to one of the worst schools in my city in Venezuela from 7th to 9th grade before coming to the US and finishing High School.
I still went to engineering school and became an electrical engineer.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
And even if you don't use the school, it is still part of your resale value.
Most people who live in the area don't do so for the schools so the impact isn't as much as a poor performing school in the middle of nowhere

Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:

So, either move to the upper class suburbs and live in a bubble or go private for schools. It's simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston