Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,096 times

Advertisements

Or my favorite its shipped fedex and then passed off to usps and takes longer to be delivered.

And then if you call looking for the package fedex will be like usps has it call them; then you call usps well we were not the originator so we cant help you.

what an f'up system they got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
Or my favorite its shipped fedex and then passed off to usps and takes longer to be delivered.

And then if you call looking for the package fedex will be like usps has it call them; then you call usps well we were not the originator so we cant help you.

what an f'up system they got.

You are taking about smart post and it's a cheaper service for a reason. Ups and dhl have similar services

Old 06-03-2015, 03:29 PM
NTT NTT started this thread

723 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Uh-oh.... did I opened a case/carton of tomatoes?

With tomatoes flying in the air, I better stay down .

Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
That's probably just bad shipping..good ol USPS at it's finest.

I buy online a lot and I have a West Coast, Central US bias. I refuse to buy from the east especially NY and NJ. WAY too many post offices in between.

California - purchase on Sunday, it actually ships Monday afternoon.maybe Tuesday morning and I get it Thursday

NY/NJ - purchase on Sunday, it actually ships Monday afternoon.maybe Tuesday morning and I get it the following Monday or Tuesday. Imma pass East Coast, mmkay

Though once, only once I purchased an item from OR. It went to Chicago then Missouri and was 2 weeks late. Those people just couldn't read and the seller said it was a mishap and truly from Portland, OR

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I find 7-10 days dallas to college station very hard to believe as I mail a ton of stuff first class and it gets cross country faster than that by a long shot.

Also you don't lie USPS' service but don't want to pay ups pricing? Lol
Maybe I'm just very unlucky. I've mailed important papers to my daughter at A&M and a week later she finally received them. And twice this year I've sent her rent payment to Dallas, and it has taken 9-10 days to reach her landlord. So the last two times I sent it 2 day priority letter ($5.50) and that only took 3 days. The package I just sent was going to be $24 via UPS, while USPS was only $12.71. Granted, UPS would have certainly delivered it today instead of tomorrow, but I didn't want to pay that much extra for was was advertised as the same basic service.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:40 AM

Total time for something to go from hand to hand depends on a lot of factors and not to be offensive but with the college station run you have multiple college kids that have to touch it and your daughter actually has to go pick it up. Within texas 2-3 days is really the norm for first class letters if you are seeing 7-10 it's either other people touching the mail or the person you are mailing it to

Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Well, my daughter is in a townhouse with a private mailbox just like a regular apartment, and she was checking it daily since she needed the papers, so it had to be on the post office end. Granted, they could have put it in the wrong mailbox, but that is another story of itself I can tell you about my neighborhood mail delivery! I too would expect 2-3 day delivery to be normal in Texas. And when the landlord calls around the 8th of the month saying she has not received the check you know was mailed at the post office itself, I wonder what happened to it. I sent her another rent check priority mail, and of course she got the original one the next day.

Luckily I only pay like 2-3 bills via mail per month, and I might just send the landlord a stack of post dated checks for next year!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 47,640 times
Maybe it got rerouted to Dallas due to the flooding here last week?

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM
NTT NTT started this thread

723 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflyers View Post
Maybe it got rerouted to Dallas due to the flooding here last week?
No, the order was placed on Monday evening of this week and the package was sent out on Tuesday. The rain & flood has been gone by then. Houston is big with many USPS facilities. If the packages needed to be transferred from a flooded facility, the carrier would have transferred them to another local dry facility. If the facility wasn't flooded, the packages would have been witheld until it's cleared to continue its way.

Anyway, my package was delivered today.

My intention for this thread was not to complain of the shipping time. Rather, I was a bit puzzled to why the package took the route it did. It traveled from Stafford up to Dallas and back down to Houston instead of coming straight through (30 miles away). It's just out of curiousity, that's all.

USPS in my area has been quite good. I know many of the workers there and I know how hard they all work. Any problem in the past that I've encountered with USPS has been very minor, and they've corrected it right away. No carrier service is perfect. Ordering online takes patience, and the money I've saved for searching a good bargain is all worth the waiting.

Last edited by NTT; 06-04-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Routing can be strange or appear to not make sense in the logistics business and while your scenario does LNG make sense fedex for instance will send a letter from houston to Memphis to dallas instead of direct to dallas because there are efficiencies in the volume and sorting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston