Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 AM

104 posts, read 157,201 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help out of state tourists and conventioneers find moderately priced lodging on the light rail so they can go back and forth to downtown. They cannot afford the $175 plus rates for being within walking distance to Brown Convention Center.

I hope you can give me a list of some nice hotels that are a one or two block walk to catch the rail. One group I am emailing is a group of 8 25ish women from India coming in October. Obviously, all these tourists want to be in an area that would relatively safe. I know there is not such thing as "safe", but a good area with lots of people around most of the time???

Thank you so much for your help. This info is much needed and the light rail going that far out would give them lots of choices in their price range when they attend a convention downtown. Hope you can take a minute to help me. Yes, I know I can do Google maps and see hotels along that route, but I'm hoping you Houstonians who drive this area a lot can get me started. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Your options will be pretty limited unfortunately; the only real moderately priced but safe hotels there might be a chance of finding near a light rail station would be around the Texas Medical Center. Check the Best Western and the Hampton Inn in that area.

Maybe the UH Hilton? That's on the Purple (Southeast) line.

Did you check the Holiday Inn Express just a couple blocks south of the GRB?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkribbonaustin View Post
I am trying to help out of state tourists and conventioneers find moderately priced lodging on the light rail so they can go back and forth to downtown. They cannot afford the $175 plus rates for being within walking distance to Brown Convention Center.

I hope you can give me a list of some nice hotels that are a one or two block walk to catch the rail. One group I am emailing is a group of 8 25ish women from India coming in October. Obviously, all these tourists want to be in an area that would relatively safe. I know there is not such thing as "safe", but a good area with lots of people around most of the time???

Thank you so much for your help. This info is much needed and the light rail going that far out would give them lots of choices in their price range when they attend a convention downtown. Hope you can take a minute to help me. Yes, I know I can do Google maps and see hotels along that route, but I'm hoping you Houstonians who drive this area a lot can get me started. Thanks again.
Short answer: The Green Line and Purple Line just opened and there simply aren't any decent, moderately priced hotels outside of downtown along their routes. Maybe in a few years...

Did you contact any of the better hotels near the GRB for more reasonable group rates? Also, Houston has a very large, vibrant Indian population -- perhaps some of their community organizations will be able to suggest lodging and transportation options.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 AM

21 posts, read 20,256 times
There's an Extended Stay America a block away from the Reliant Park station (one stop before the south end of the red line). It's near some of the nice-ish apartment complexes in that region, but I don't know about the security at the hotel itself. It may cost more than normal hotels, because that brand is meant for longer stays so it has kitchens in the rooms, but it's certainly going to be cheaper than downtown.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,819 times
the medical center has one right at methodist but im sure its not cheap. probably one of the safest places on the whole route.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Man what are some of you people talkin about lol. These replies quite frankly, are discouraging and not helpful. I stayed at a nice marriot residence inn right off main in downtown with rates like at $129 last week. Took it into midtown one night. Even had Indian pizza close by and walked to an Astros game the next. I guess it isn't 2 blocks from grb but the rail is close by. In the med center I saw one for $99. It's not the Hilton but it's close and better than what's being recommended so far.

Also do a search like on hotels.com. There's lots of good hotels to be had under $175. If each person is getting their own room, you can prob get a good rate calling the hotel directly and also paying in advance if your dates are set. But again, with that budget, way too easy to find something nice.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Man what are some of you people talkin about lol. These replies quite frankly, are discouraging and not helpful. I stayed at a nice marriot residence inn right off main in downtown with rates like at $129 last week. Took it into midtown one night. Even had Indian pizza close by and walked to an Astros game the next. I guess it isn't 2 blocks from grb but the rail is close by. In the med center I saw one for $99. It's not the Hilton but it's close and better than what's being recommended so far.

Also do a search like on hotels.com. There's lots of good hotels to be had under $175. If each person is getting their own room, you can prob get a good rate calling the hotel directly and also paying in advance if your dates are set. But again, with that budget, way too easy to find something nice.
While the OP should definitely check all the downtown hotels (I suggested to HI Express near the Convention Center), it really depends on the day of the week. Monday-Thursday nights (corresponding to most business and convention travel) have gotten fairly expensive. There are deals to be had on the weekends, because leisure traffic is so low here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: