Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 10,775 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend just moved a house from the Heights to an empty lot near Hogan and Fulton. Pockets are aesthetically rough but I haven't ever felt unsafe. But that's probably because neither poor people or hispanics scare me. The area is very blue collar, working class. Since we began the project 6 months ago we have gotten nothing but love. Every single neighbor has came by to say hi, offer us their restroom, water, and even brought us some food on a few occasions when we didn't have our utilities hooked up yet. The Fiesta just 3 blocks away from our new home is incredibly well stocked and clean and CHEAP! Most of our neighbors have lived in the same home for over 20 years, a few have grown up in the same house and stayed after their parents passed. There are loads of kids everywhere, always riding their bikes or just playing on the street. So the neighborhood feel is there. Unfortunately Urban Living has starting buying up lots like crazy in the area.
While Lindale gets all the praise around here, it's already expensive. I would look farther south around Hogan, yes it's one of the areas that's probably the roughest right now, there is an upside though. And a huge one at that. It's called the Hardy Yards. It's going to be 55 acres of new mixed-used development that is being partially funded by the city and several private investors. Including one big hot shot name in the Houston area. It will have ground floor retail, office space, apartments and green areas all integrated into the Burnett Light Rail station. Again, 55 ACRES!! The apartments are breaking ground in August, currently they are building all the infrastructure for the development (utilities and widening Burnett St to four lanes). They're trying to make it a destination. Read more about it here and check out the pictures Hardy Rail Yard Project - Page 18 - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum - Page 18

Also don't forget that there will also be an additional development across the street from the Hardy Yards called "The Lofts" (lame name I know). You can also read more about it here The Lofts (Near Hardy Yards) - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

KLS Cyclery has also opened up shop over on 1917 N Main. It's a little bit hipster but a cool place to buy fixies or get your bicycle serviced.

There are loads of art studios off of Hardy and Burnett, they don't open to the public often but I've been to a few cool art gallery opening/parties in the area. You'd never guess what the inside of those warehouse looked like.

Pegstar is also opening the new music venue over on N Main and Little White Oak Bayou. They will be vacating Fitzgeralds on White Oak and coming to the neighborhood. Read more about it here: White Oak Music Hall on N Main - Going Up! - HAIF - Houston's Leading News Forum

I would also recommend looking into the little pocket neighborhoods just north of Moody Park or directly across from it just south of Patton. There are some very nice streets in the area with new housing and renovations coming along.

A big bonus is that this whole area does not flood. Nothing in the Near Northside area does (not sure about Lindale Park). The rain a few weeks ago didn't even affect the neighborhood with the exception of a small portion of Little White Oak bayou and N Main.

Hope this information helps. I honestly can not wait to sell my house in the Heights next year and take on a cool project in this area for myself.

Hoping it stays a secret for at least a little while longer.

Last edited by IamHouston; 06-09-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:49 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
I think the concept of this area of town of being the Heights North sounds and looks good, but there really isn't anything commercially appealing there, and it's going to take a while if anything does happen. Schools are also pretty poor in the area. Might as well move to Montrose for a little more with tons more opportunity for eat and drink in walking distance.
That's why Montrose is much more expensive than Near Northside. Think of Near Northside much as the Washington Avenue corridor was 15-20 years ago. Decrepit homes, non-Anglo population, not much retail of interest, but centrally located.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM

189 posts, read 224,460 times
According to swamplot 179 of the 350 apts, one and two bedroom apts will be affordable. That could be a good or a bad thing, but I don't see why 5 of 50 acres would be a cause for alarm. Says it will have easy access to rail. Five of Old Hardy Rail Yard’s 50 Acres To Become a Mostly Affordable Near Northside Apartment Complex | Swamplot

Old 06-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
According to swamplot 179 of the 350 apts, one and two bedroom apts will be affordable. That could be a good or a bad thing, but I don't see why 5 of 50 acres would be a cause for alarm. Says it will have easy access to rail. Five of Old Hardy Rail Yard’s 50 Acres To Become a Mostly Affordable Near Northside Apartment Complex | Swamplot
Yes this is mainly due to a lack of inventory for student at UofH Downtown. I've spoken with council member Ed Gonzalez and the main target for the affordable housing will be student and public servants (teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc). Also the housing is on a 10 year agreement, after the 10 years are up they will at market rate like the rest of the units in the building. 10 years will be plenty of time for the housing stock in this area to grow. Nothing to be afraid of in my opinion. Also it's the Zeiben Group that is coordinating all of this. And we all know what an good reputation they have. Especially since the majority of their market has been luxury housing. Reading the specs and amenities to this particular development made me even more excited. It sounds like it's going to be extremely nice.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:31 PM

Also swamplot gave very vague details. The HAIF thread on this development has been a very good read with great amounts of detail on it.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:10 PM

189 posts, read 224,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHouston View Post
Yes this is mainly due to a lack of inventory for student at UofH Downtown. I've spoken with council member Ed Gonzalez and the main target for the affordable housing will be student and public servants (teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc). Also the housing is on a 10 year agreement, after the 10 years are up they will at market rate like the rest of the units in the building. 10 years will be plenty of time for the housing stock in this area to grow. Nothing to be afraid of in my opinion. Also it's the Zeiben Group that is coordinating all of this. And we all know what an good reputation they have. Especially since the majority of their market has been luxury housing. Reading the specs and amenities to this particular development made me even more excited. It sounds like it's going to be extremely nice.
Hopefully that works out. I know many firefighters and police officers and majority of them want nothing to do with city life. Most of them live in the suburbs or in a rural country setting.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
Hopefully that works out. I know many firefighters and police officers and majority of them want nothing to do with city life. Most of them live in the suburbs or in a rural country setting.
Yep. My younger brother is a cop for HPD. Lives in the middle of no-where Montgomery County. I could see lots of younger teachers wanting to live here though.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times
The location is fantastic and it's cleaning up with the rail. IMO a fantastic investment opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston