Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,510,012 times

Advertisements

Latest storm track shows this storm going more toward Rockport. So this means Houston will not get 50mph win and 10 inch of rain. I think we will get 6 to 7 inches of rain 35mph wind we can handle this no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,750,469 times
I have been worried about this all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If they preempt the Stanley Cup Finals again tonight with some clowns driving around looking for high water spots in Montrose, or standing in ankle deep water in Kingwood, I may burn down KPRC.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM

7,532 posts, read 11,510,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If they preempt the Stanley Cup Finals again tonight with some clowns driving around looking for high water spots in Montrose, or standing in ankle deep water in Kingwood, I may burn down KPRC.
If they do they will just move it to 2.2 just use a TV antenna and you will be able to watch it

Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 PM

57 posts, read 125,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Once the storm has passed, you can use phone to navigate the submersed streets and the motor should be sufficient to get you around at 10-12 mph, which should be plenty since the other cars will be flooded below you.
I already bought my scuba suit - do you think I will need a canoe as well?

In all seriousness, I used to live in the Houston area a loooong time ago, and I do remember how the news can exaggerate. However, I also lived in The Woodlands during Alicia, and I know that things can get crazy quickly, so I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Quote:
That area does not normally flood, and if it does the worst that could happen would be you had to walk a little ways, but I suspect you will be fine.
Thanks! I've been trying to figure out the elevations, but it's at least good to know that it doesn't usually flood around ROE.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,819,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Yeah this one is gonna be a lot worse than the one a few weeks ago.
.... or maybe not. It depends where it hits and how quickly it moves over the area. Also, it's not even a tropical storm or hurricane.

It's just a low pressure system.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 PM

61,128 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
You forgot plywood. Buy it all. Best practice is to build a house around your house.
Nah... here you go:

https://www.google.com/search?q=in-g...elter&tbm=shop

Those things are not even really expensive...

Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 PM

61,128 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
Best email that was going around after Rita was a photo someone took with a caption that said, "It is humbling and scary to see the devastation that hurricanes can bring." (something like that)

The photo was a wet plastic lawn chair on its side on a wooden deck.

This??

Here is a good website you can check:
http://bearpawsweather.com/tropical/index.html

Old 06-15-2015, 09:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,423,812 times
I use this one: Tropical Storm Bill : Tracking Map | Weather Underground since Ike. It was very accurate.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,191,620 times
Default Tropical Storm Bill

Well, it was upgraded about an hour ago and the latest has it going between Matagorda Bay and Galveston, so we get the dirty side of the storm. 'Should be interesting tomorrow.

Not that anyone cares... my company told everyone to work from home if possible, and NOT come into the office. How bad is it when instead of being thankful, I am just thinking why this could not happen on Wednesday instead.

Just kidding of course... stay dry.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,824,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The news will hype it up bigtime. Im surprised they are not on 24/7 currently. Frank Billingsley almost cried when Rita moved East and the reporters zoomed in on a can rolling down the street stating "the wind is really picking up"
Houston news stations love to make people freak out about the weather.
We may get some rain but this isn't going to be Ike imo.
Hum... Frank Billingsley... don't even make me start with him... eeeek!

Actually, the local news aren't as bad as CNN. Relatives from out of states kept watching that "d!" station and panic . My phone kept ringing. They won't believe that we're fine and what they saw was at another location in Houston.

Some local news actually had educated us alot about storms in the Gulf. Knowledge is priceless, the more we know, the less we get nervous. Plus, the more we're prepared, the less the worry later on.

Thus, my advise is to be prepared as much as you can. For this storm, as many already mentioned, be prepared in case of flood and power outage. Don't wait until the weather gets so bad to go to the store. Even if nothing happens, you're not a loss. Most of those items can be used until next storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston