Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
You can't close off any large city.
True but it would be great if Houston could slow down the influx of people moving there...or speed up improvements in infrastructure to easily accommodate this influx.

I think the city has enough people already. When I moved 4 years ago it had enough people.

Depends on which side of the fence you are standing. Developers love to see the influx but many long time residents don't like it for obvious reasons.

Houston has a lot to offer and a lot going for it...that's what I love about Houston as well as the people. You can find some of the friendliest people on this planet there.

Houston needs to step it up with expanding the infrastructure to accommodate the increase in population.

It's truly a shame that a city of it's size has such terrible public transportation. I was amazed at the horrific congested traffic conditions that I observed in March.

Not only that but the sprawl is getting worse as the COL inside the loop has increased dramatically for families looking to buy a home.

There is good and bad that comes with increasing population. If all a person only cares about an increase in the tax base then sure it's all good.

Houston has a great economy no doubt and that will continue...which will bring in more people.

http://www.houston.org/pdf/research/...t_a_Glance.pdf

I would appreciate if the 2 that have called me troll to just stop it.

This is a forum and if you don't like the topic then move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Because I clearly stated an annual growth rate of which we weren't even close to and then you linked the census data that supported what I said not what you said
I did not post the census data for the purpose of disputing your stated annual growth rate.

My purpose was to show the rapid influx of people into Texas during 2000-2010 which accounted for the highest numeric increase.

Now fast forward to 2015 and the Houston area alone is projected to increase by roughly another 2%. In 2014 there was approximately a 2% increase.

That's a lot of people moving to the Houston area.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I did not post the census data for the purpose of disputing your stated annual growth rate.

My purpose was to show the rapid influx of people into Texas during 2000-2010 which accounted for the highest numeric increase.

Now fast forward to 2015 and the Houston area alone is projected to increase by roughly another 2%. In 2014 there was approximately a 2% increase.

That's a lot of people moving to the Houston area.
20% growth from 2000-2010 isn't problematic and neither is a 2% increase annually

Old 06-15-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
20% growth from 2000-2010 isn't problematic and neither is a 2% increase annually
It is when the city has not improved the infrastructure to handle it.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It is when the city has not improved the infrastructure to handle it.

Don't worry about it as you aren't here. I'm voting with my dollars as are plenty of other people coming here and voting with their dollars too, clearly the problem is bigger for you than the people living here or moving here

Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 PM

657 posts, read 739,579 times
Wait a minute. OP isnt even from Houston but is worried about traffic and transplants?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Wait a minute. OP isnt even from Houston but is worried about traffic and transplants?
She is from Houston, in fact born and raised there...see post #3

She has life long friends and family in Houston that she visits yearly.

She was alarmed at the ugly mess Houston appears to be tuning into on her visit in March and would like to possibly return to Houston...but from what she is seeing it looks like it might be a bad place to return to if Houston does not fix it's infrastructure to accommodate the increasing population...that occurred after I left.

This should be a topic that is open for discussion but it appears that for some very odd reason a few posters want to make this thread a closed topic.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-15-2015 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
She is from Houston, in fact born and raised there...see post #3

She has life long friends and family in Houston that she visits yearly.

She was alarmed at the ugly mess Houston appears to be tuning into on her visit in March and would like to possibly return to Houston...but from what she is seeing it looks like it might be a bad place to return to if Houston does not fix it's infrastructure to accommodate the increasing population...that occurred after I left.

This should be a topic that is open for discussion but it appears that for some very odd reason a few posters want to make this thread a closed topic.

You can't return sorry but we've imposed restrictions on people moving to Houston

Old 06-16-2015, 05:00 PM

498 posts, read 837,313 times
Is there a forum contest going on right now to see who can post "COL" the most in one thread?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
we've imposed restrictions on people moving to Houston
Ewww every developers nightmare!

Yep just turn you head to all the predictions and things that need serious attention as the population increases.

Growing Risks: Balancing Houston's Prosperity and Air Quality, Part 1 | OffCite Blog

Water woes follow increased population projections in Houston suburbs - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Houston’s Population Growth Could Mean An Increase In Extreme Heat
Houston

SaportaReport | As Houston’s population becomes more diverse, the region’s education and income problems intensify

Maybe you should try moving away for about 4-5 years...it might clear your head out and open your eyes as to what needs addressing as the population increases in Houston.

There is something wrong with thinking things are just going to magically work themselves out as the population booms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: