Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Texas NFL team?
Cowboys 22 24.44%
Texans 58 64.44%
...Oilers 10 11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:07 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, but it does make the Cowboys the type of franchise that the Texans simply cannot be.

But if you're a sports fanatic, you will find Dallas better in that category. Sports are a bigger part of the culture in Dallas.
You mean they can't be the type of franchise the Cowboys are yet ? I remember a time when the Patriots were a mediocre off the beaten path franchise and now look at them, and there are other examples in the NFL as well. As far as being a bigger part of the culture, that may not be such a great thing, I guess it depends on values and priorities . One could make the case that we are as a culture too obsessed with sports and or entertainment as it is.

BTW Thanks for answering for countrycowboy but I would still like to hear from him as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 06:58 PM

66 posts, read 99,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Do you live in Houston and do you consider yourself a Houstonian ? If so do you think the Cowboys success makes DFW a better place than Houston ?
I live in Houston. I do not consider myself a Houstonian - I consider myself an American. I have lived in Houston twice and Dallas once, and I do like Houston better as a city. That why I moved here again.

But the Cowboys are a better football team. The Cowboys success only makes Dallas better during football season. Unless you want fresh seafood while you watch the game; then Houston is better.

My heroes have always been Cowboys.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCowboy View Post
I live in Houston. I do not consider myself a Houstonian - I consider myself an American. I have lived in Houston twice and Dallas once, and I do like Houston better as a city. That why I moved here again.

But the Cowboys are a better football team. The Cowboys success only makes Dallas better during football season. Unless you want fresh seafood while you watch the game; then Houston is better.

My heroes have always been Cowboys.
I can deal with that. The point I was going to make is the success of professional sports franchises in a city does not make one city better than another. I'm afraid that point is lost on many people...

One last thing. What will happen in those inevitable years when the Cowboys will not be the better team ? Will you and Willie still be singing the same tune ?

Old 09-19-2015, 07:39 PM

66 posts, read 99,141 times
Sports teams are just for entertainment. It's only a game. People get all tribal about sports.

I have been a Cowboys fan since the Ice Bowl. I will be until I die. Nothing else to say, really.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
You mean they can't be the type of franchise the Cowboys are yet ? I remember a time when the Patriots were a mediocre off the beaten path franchise and now look at them, and there are other examples in the NFL as well. As far as being a bigger part of the culture, that may not be such a great thing, I guess it depends on values and priorities . One could make the case that we are as a culture too obsessed with sports and or entertainment as it is.

BTW Thanks for answering for countrycowboy but I would still like to hear from him as well
Come back to me when the Texans have five Super Bowl rings. They won't be what the Cowboys are in your lifetime. That doesn't make Dallas better than Houston, but it does make the Cowboys a better sports franchise than the Texans.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Come back to me when the Texans have five Super Bowl rings. They won't be what the Cowboys are in your lifetime. That doesn't make Dallas better than Houston, but it does make the Cowboys a better sports franchise than the Texans.
The Texans don't need 5 rings to get the monkey off their backs. One Superbowl win will (especially if it comes before the Cowboys are able to win number 6) even the karma considering how long ago that last Cowboy Superbowl win was...

Old 09-19-2015, 10:15 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Quote:
You're comparing a 55 yr old vs a 13yr old franchise. The last time Dallas won a SB was in 95, twenty years ago.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:34 AM

657 posts, read 739,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
you're comparing a 55 yr old vs a 13yr old franchise. The last time dallas won a sb was in 95, twenty years ago.
Ha

Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
The Texans will get their hands on a freakazoid player (who will be from Texas) and they will go on to win several championships and become the new state team. One of their Bowls will be won at Cowboys Stadium.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
The Texans don't need 5 rings to get the monkey off their backs. One Superbowl win will (especially if it comes before the Cowboys are able to win number 6) even the karma considering how long ago that last Cowboy Superbowl win was...
Again, the Cowboys are a franchise the Texans won't be in your lifetime. You'll be dead before the Texans become the most popular football team from Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
The Texans will get their hands on a freakazoid player (who will be from Texas) and they will go on to win several championships and become the new state team. One of their Bowls will be won at Cowboys Stadium.
And maybe you'd like to flap your ears and fly to Mars while you're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston