Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM

128 posts, read 230,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You asking about Sugar Land but wondering about the traffic from Richmond?

I am not sure what you are really asking.

Where you want to live is directly related to the budget so you should throw out a number for better advise also.

Fort Bend and Sugar Land in general is very ethnic with most areas generally 40% white/40% asians, and rest Hispanics/blacks. Some people found it to be too diversify so keep that in mind.

I believe FBISD have a rule where the teacher kids get to be in the same school as the teacher/parent if you wish.

Both the schools are the better ones in FBISD so I think should be fine.
I'm looking into Sugar Land as well...

What does 40% white/40% asian mean? Asian is not white.

Do you mean 40% white and 40% Asian?

per google:

The ethnic and racial makeup of the population was 44.4% non-Hispanic white, 7.3% non-Hispanic black, 0.2% non-Hispanic Native American, 35.1% non-Hispanic Asian, 0.2% non-Hispanic from some other race, 2.2% non-Hispanic from two or more races and 10.6% Hispanic or Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM

128 posts, read 230,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
The best part of Sugar Land is the schools. I'm not just talking about teachers, administration, or buildings, but also about a community of extremely diverse, yet like-minded, people who care very strongly about their children's education. Many of us chose our home, based on the district and specific schools the neighborhood feeds into. Of course we'll still find things to complain about...we're parents, after all.

What areas of Richmond are you looking at, as unincorporated Richmond contains a large portion of the county? There are quite a few miles between River Park, Aliana, Pecan Grove and "Old" Richmond. I wouldn't consider any of them to be a bad commute, though.

Welcome to Sugar Land/Richmond. I think you'll like it here.
Good to know..seems like I'm taking over the post

Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
I'm looking into Sugar Land as well...

What does 40% white/40% asian mean? Asian is not white.

Do you mean 40% white and 40% Asian?

per google:

The ethnic and racial makeup of the population was 44.4% non-Hispanic white, 7.3% non-Hispanic black, 0.2% non-Hispanic Native American, 35.1% non-Hispanic Asian, 0.2% non-Hispanic from some other race, 2.2% non-Hispanic from two or more races and 10.6% Hispanic or Latino.
Some people like to live among their own kind and I personally don't have a problem with that. I mean if you are a white family that like to play sports/kids heavy in sports and chat up with your neighbors working on the yard in the weekends, you might not found that many of them in Sugar Land as you would in other suburbs in Houston.

My kids play sports and I help when I can. Unfortunately the leagues in core Sugar Land is getting smaller and smaller compare to other leagues in the city. The asian kids generally do not participate in them and they are 40% of the population in the area.

Asian family usually stay in house and generally are not that neighborly. Not that is anything wrong with that. But it is different.

What you would found is very good educational system with same like minded parents that care very much that their child will not only do well, but very well. You would find very diversify cultural establishment nowhere else in the city (dining and shopping).

You will found people to be extremely nice manner as the people there are generally highly educated.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 12,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You're in for a culture shock.

Richmond can be Extremely close to, if not bordering, Sugarland in places,so it depends where in Richmond you are looking. It's not like you are commuting to and from the city, so it's not going to be an issue.
Culture shock as in...

Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM

59 posts, read 98,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianViking View Post
Howdy, folks!

My wife and I have taken the leap, and accepted teaching positions at Dulles High School and Fort Settlement Middle School, respectively. Both schools have good reputations, from what I understand. We are taking our family of five from the upstate of South Carolina on this new adventure.

Two requests. Tell me the best part about living in Sugar Land. Then tell me how bad the commute from Richmond is. That looks to be where we'll get a house.

We are pumped!

Hi! I'm also a teacher from upstate SC who moved to Richmond! Where in SC are ya'll from?? (I'm not currently teaching here, stay at home mom for now)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 AM

657 posts, read 733,946 times
Culture shock probably because Sugar Land, Richmond and Houston has a lot more colors than black and white like NC.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
Culture shock probably because Sugar Land, Richmond and Houston has a lot more colors than black and white like NC.
Actually no, that is not what I'm talking about .Upstate SC and Houston can't be more aesthetically different. Upstate is close to the mountains, fall color,big lakes that aren't packed with houses. Also the vibe is more laid back, there's no road raging gridlock traffic, no daily murder count. Etc.

Understand that Columbia is the biggest city in SC with around 150,000 people. The biggest city in the Upstate is Greenville with 60,000. culture Shock.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-26-2015 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: City stats.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 12,262 times
Hey there! We are from Greenville, SC, BilInSaf.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 PM

59 posts, read 98,453 times
Nice. I'm from good ol Gaffney. Taught at GHS.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM

30 posts, read 38,852 times
Dulles is a great school, I graduated from there back in 2001. Richmond is very close to Sugarland, I think the border starts at 99. I actually have a house right off 99 which has the Richmond zip code but the commute to Sugar Land literally takes less then 10 minutes. Let me know if you need help.

Moderator cut: removed contact info

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-08-2015 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: removed contact info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston